“A Birthday Treat”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Malton
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
“A Birthday Treat”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This was a surprise for my 7*th birthday! And it was a very pleasant one indeed, we were welcomed and our room was well equipped and very clean. We have two elderly dogs and they were made most welcome with their own bed and water bowls. We ate in the hotel and the meal was superb, we all had different choices and each of use thoroughly enjoyed every one.
The grounds were well kept and our two dogs enjoyed lap around them, only thing missing was a doggy bin.
Staff were very attentive, though the lady / girl who took our original booking did not appear to be the sharpest knife in the draw, however all the reception staff during our visit were good.
The only minus were the towels were grey and rough on my old skin!

We will return.

Room Tip: If you want a bath room one is shower only and a wet room in every sense when the shower is on!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Talbot-Malton, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Biddys78

Thank you for taking the time to post a review online. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the team looked after you. Good point on the doggy bin, funny it has not come up before, I shall keep an eye out for a suitable one. Sorry to read the towels where not up to standard, usually they are very soft and comforting.

We do hope to see you and the dogs again.

Best regards

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

After 25 years we wanted to do something special, so we booked in at the Talbot Hotel for a 'taster menu with overnight stay. We were given a free upgrade to the Houghton Suite, perhaps because it was our anniversary, I'm not sure. The room was lovely, and made us feel special. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The meal was really good, to say it was a taster menu, it certainly filled you up. I am hoping that we will make a return visit. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dipsey1
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I used a Groupon Voucher for afternoon tea a few days after Mothers day. What a lovely experience! Parking was easy in the large car park with disabled parking spaces, and a flat surface into the Hotel so it was easily accessed by my mum. The staff were very welcoming, and we had a choice of two different reserved tables for the afternoon tea. The tea consisted of 3 small but tasty sandwiches each, a scone with jam and cream and several slices of different cakes. We also had a surprise "extra" of a lemon possett dessert with strawberries and cream.The room was pleasantly busy with other residents and visitors having afternoon tea. There were menu cards available with the recipes of some of the cakes which was a nice touch. The staff showed us round the restaurant and gave us a printed lunch menu. I feel the staff worked hard to show case the Hotel and food. Well done!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Kent
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We booked to stay at the Talbot Inn for a special 'James Martin Dinner'. The whole experience was fabulous and unforgettable. The accommodation was luxurious and comfortable, the staff extremely helpful and friendly and the dinner was just superb. There is a generosity about this place. Nothing is too much trouble and there are refreshing touches such as complimentary room service for tea/coffee.

The food was exceptionally good. Top class, fresh, seasonal ingredients, locally sourced and superbly cooked and presented. Portions were just right and the matched wines were perfect.

Just wish this hotel were closer to Kent but am looking for any excuse to visit again!

Oh... and.....James Martin was utterly charming and even more gorgeous in the flesh!!

Room Tip: We had Room 17 which overlooked the front of the hotel. Even though there was a car park below we w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Fabulous from walking through the door. We stayed in the Houghton suite which is very beautiful, spacious and immaculate. We had the taster menu with wine flight and it was truly delicious. The staff are very friendly and helpful and I hope to make a return visit. Cannot praise highly enough !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Solotrom
Talbot-Malton, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Solotom

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review from your stay. The taster menu has been a great success and we feel highlights some of the best produce that Yorkshire has to offer.

Feel free to come back and visit anytime. We have a special rate been released to coincide with our opening of the Malton a Cookery a School so give us a call if you are thinking of coming back soon.

Best regards

David
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here for my birthday and booked into the restaurant for the evening meal. My husband,unfortunately, forgot his cuff links. The receptionist was extremely helpful by providing a spare pair for him made by her mother so I would like to thank her personally for ensuring our evening wasn't spoilt by our wardrobe malfunction! We found the hotel, the food and wine and the staff to be excellent and wouldn't hesitate in going back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I took my mother to The Talbot Hotel for afternoon tea on the Friday before Mothers Day 2014. We had booked in advance and arrived early. The Car park has disabled spaces which not essential, was convenient. I asked for high seats as my mother was disabled after a hip operation and we were given these in the lounge, which was excellent. As we had booked for afternoon tea, I expected the menu would come fairly swiftly, however we must have waited at least 15 minutes before a pleasant young man asked if we were being attended to. He then brought a menu for us, closely followed by the gentleman who had show us to our seats, who apologised for the delay. Never the less, the afternoon tea was delicious, the scones wonderful, the selection of cakes really excellent and plenty of Yorkshire tea which is always a bonus. The ladies room is always a problem for my mother if the seat is low, however, after visiting the disabled facilities right next to the lounge she reported that they were sparkling, had never seen any so clean and had a high seat. So it was a win win visit. This was a lovely afternoon for my mother and I which we both thoroughly enjoyed. I was determined not the clear the plates but it was impossible to leave anything as it was all so beautifully presented. On paying the bill, I was asked if there was anything left that I wanted to take home - shame we had cleared the plates as we could have saved something for another day!!! We went at 4 pm and di not require any supper that night. A lovely afternoon marred only by the long delay before being attended to, and as we had booked I though this was unnecessary. I did not complain at the time as I did not want to upset my mother on her special afternoon.

Room Tip: Did not stay at the hotel only went for afternoon tea
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malton
The Old Lodge
The Black Swan Hotel
#2 of 5 in Helmsley
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!