“Lovely hotel with superb restaurant.”

The Talbot Hotel Malton
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Malton
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We chose the hotel purely for the restaurant and were not disappointed.

A fantastic room with beautifully furnished bathroom with wonderful large and incredibly powerful shower.

For dinner we had the tasting menu which was excellent, wines were reasonably priced and staff were knowledgable and helpful.

Breakfast was very good - I recommend the bacon bap!
The only negative was the slow service in the dining room at breakfast - need some extra staff!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting York Races. The hotel is very relaxing with old fashioned charm but updated with all mod cons you need. Our room was large and very comfortable with a great bathroom, overlooking the lovely terrace and gardens with hill views in the distance. We had the tasting menu on the first night which was delicious. Breakfast on both mornings was also very good. Disappointing that there was no tea tray in the bedroom but the receptionist quickly provided this when we asked. Also a bit disappointed that there were no bath robes and the complimentary toiletries were a bit meagre (although good quality Penhaligons!) All in all it was a lovely break, and the hotel is ideally situated for visiting York (the local rail station is a 5 minute walk from the hotel) and the surrounding area. We wish we could have stayed for longer and would recommend it to others.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My birthday treat to myself as I love watching James Martin cook his delicious meals with lots of butter and cream so bad but so good and this hotel has a James Martin restaurant !!
No one on reception when we arrived,not a particularly nice welcome,I paid in cash there and then for one nights b/b plus dinner £195.
A nice young lady with glasses on helped me with the luggage,the only one we saw smile the whole time we were there
Room a good size,windows the old sash ones the top fell down when I moved the opener in the middle then the bottom wouldn't stay up,had to wedge a glass to keep it up.
Bathroom was a wet room with a weird hand held shower head the size of a small frying pan and heavy with it.
You had to sit side on to get on the toilet then swivel round so your knees were under the sink and you could lean forward onto the sink ideal if you are feeling under the weather !!
Never been in a bedroom anywhere in England that did not have a hospitality tray,we had to request one but no biscuits were forthcomingwith it.
Changed and showered went to dinner for seven,I had asked for the chefs to come up with a three course meal with things I eat(months ago)as I only eat chicken and simple food which is how James Martin comes over when he is making his dishes.
I was offered Tomato/Basil Soup
Chicken breast with peppercorn sauce/peas/carrots (well cooked)
Caramelised banana with eggy almond brioche,sauce and ice cream
So exciting sounding.
The soup was strong and perfumed to my palate.
The chicken breast was small but tasty and the sauce was nice,the peas were well cooked but the carrots were rock hard I couldn't eat them,you usually get potatoes of some description but not at this restaurant in fact there were no add ons to be had eg mushrooms /onions etc.
We had the desserts brought to our room.
The eggy/almond finger was ok but the banana seemed to me to have had a tiny sprinkling of demerara which had then had a blow torch quickly flashed over,you could not taste any caramelisation in fact they were tasteless,the small quinnell of ice cream was good but for some reason the dessert then had sultanas and peanuts sprinkled over it.
Having watched James Martin prepare a banana dessert the other week I was so disappointed with that and the rest of the menu if that was the best they could come up with with months of notice to make my birthday special !!
My friend had
Crab and sweet corn risotto very nice
Lamb consisting of well cooked lamb(two cuts)with a sweetbread and three tiny mushrooms with ten broad beans and gravy (again no potatoes).
My friend being diabetic asked for a fruit salad this looked so elegant shame it didn't taste good -slimy banana,mealy pear,nice cherries and three blackberries also two pieces of segmented orange again this had peanuts all over it !!!
To say we were not impressed was an understatement,so disappointed.
We had a good nights sleep,comfy kingsize bed with lovely bedding.
I took the case and bag to the car via the outside of the hotel (the way I was helped in )as I prefer to do this before breakfast .
We waited a while to be asked what drink we would like then when it arrived so did the toast !! which I asked to be taken away and brought with the actual breakfast.
After ordering porridge to start although we waited a while it was very tasty but not sweet enough hard work getting a bowl of suar to sprinkle.
My friend requested fried egg,mushrooms and well done tomatoes,when this arrived it barely filled the middle of the plate,the toast was then delivered.
I had scrambled egg on crumpets which was good.
The young staff were all surly and lacked finesse when serving whether they are trained not to converse or smile when attending to customers I do not know but it appeared that way.
Servants are seen and not heard and that is how they came over very old fashioned idea and not a pleasant experience.
I am afraid my birthday was the worst I have ever had .

Room Tip: Ours was on the ground floor with a wet room mostly good for a disabled person
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LaLa1951
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Someone at Talbot for sure will be rolling their eyes over this one, but I just can't help myself for mentioning it...
First of all, let me say that this is a lovely hotel in a great location in York. The building has been tastefully and carefully renovated, with lots of attention to detail both inside and outside in the gardens. The quality of the decorating is excellent as well. There are public rooms that are so tastefully done (and beautifully designed to begin with) that you actually feel sorry if you can't spend enough time in them. Our bedroom was squeaky clean, beds were excellent, and though our bathroom was understandably on the small-ish side ( it's a historic building and we were in one of the smaller rooms) it was beautifully and thoughtfully re-done. I found the house staff to be universally friendly and welcoming.
My only quibble is the fact that we were not successful in being served any coffee at breakfast, and being American, perhaps, this was somewhat akin to showing up and not having your room reserved, or perhaps going to an afternoon tea and never actually getting any tea. The main reason I go to breakfast is actually for the coffee! Our server seemed harried ( the other servers seemed cooler and more professional, actually), so maybe she had some particular problem that day, but we gently asked her to check on it twice in a 35 minute period and she snapped at us that she knew already. Finally another diner came over and poured a cup for me from her own pot, and the room had a chuckle and all was right again with the world. We finally ended up leaving just as the coffee was coming out of the kitchen. I mention this all for the breakfast/kitchen manager- if you have guests who are used to drinking coffee every morning, there is actually a physical element to caffeine withdrawal that makes its absence painfully felt! Since there are quick ways of making good coffee if you've run out, in my opinion you should treat it as a priority and teach your servers how to do it!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jktNewYorkCity
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We have just spent a night at the Talbot and the experience was superb.our room was overlooking the terrace a the back of the hotel. It was beautifully appointed, lovely bathroom and a large comfy bed with lovely smooth bed linen. The public rooms are all nicely decorated and comfortable with lots of photos of Malton and Yorkshire. The food in the James Martin restaurant was some of the best I've tasted. Well balanced and not over facing. The staff could not have been more charming and helpful. I felt that the place ran like clockwork. All in all a lovely hotel and we will be returning, probably in the near future.

Room Tip: All rooms will be nice I think, I'm not saying which we were in as I don't want everyone cho...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband & I stayed with the travelzoo deal in July & really enjoyed our stay.
We stayed in the Lambton with it's extra large comfortable bed & both slipper bath & walkin shower.The room was also spacious with its comfortable sofa & flatscreenen TV.
We requested a hospitality tray as we prefer to get our own drinks & were presented with a cafetere & many choices of tea.More than we needed really but great service.
We had the 5 course taster dinner which was superb.Words cannot describe the tastes.
The service was very good & everybody was helpful.
We really enjoyed our stay & would recommend The Talbot to anyone.The only thing we didn't really think appropriate was the rather loud piano music just before dinner which didn't seem appropriate for the time but would gladly return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Took our friends here to celebrate one of them becoming 60. For such a high-class restaurant, I was surprised that we were taken straight to our table and presented with our menus and asked to choose immediately. The restaurant was not full. It would have been lovely if we could have enjoyed an aperitif in the lounge whilst we chose our meals. We felt a little rushed and we had to ask if we could have an aperitif. In most restaurants of this quality this is the first thing they ask you. When the aperitifs arrived we were left alone to enjoy them before our order was taken. We found the siting of the tables rather cramped and were very aware of surrounding tables. That having been said, the meal was wonderful and more than made up for our earlier anxieties. Particularly to be recommended are the duck egg and duck breast starters, the pork and ocean trout. All the puddings we ordered were excellent.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dickdob1053
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malton
The Old Lodge
#1 of 3 in Pickering
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!