“A Wonderful Experience A********”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe 1618

Cafe 1618
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleton in Teesdale
Cafe 1618
Royston, United Kingdom
“A Wonderful Experience A********”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stopped in Middleton-In-Teesdale on our way to high force today and made our way to 1618 for lunch.
It was very clean, warm friendly atmosphere, great selection of good honest home cooked food, fairly priced and had a great selection of beer/lagers. my Pregnant wife and my 11 month daughter were treat like one of there family and we literally arrived as strangers and left as friends.

The food was sensational and the Teesdale Teaser is worth a trip all by itself! portion size was more than enough even my wife who is eating for 2 struggled to finish. they have a restaurant attached to the rear of the building which i think we may book for our anniversary as it is beautiful.

The staff were a dream, extremely helpful but didn't annoy us while were eating the balance was in our opinion perfect.

To sum up Cafe 1618 we would recommend this place to everybody, whether your stopping for a light lunch or a fine dining evening meal or just a Teesdale Teaser you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Adam H

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Went on a Sunday afternoon - it was very busy which we took to be a good sign. The owner was pleasant but the younger girl who was helping just couldn't be bothered. The table, placemats and glasses were filthy. Toilet had dead flies and grime over the window.
Food was ok but expensive for what it was. A portion of chips, a burger, 3 soft drinks and a gammon came to £26 and all were dripping in oil. Heat inside the cafe was awful. Tables too close together. Took ages to pay - staff ignored us several times.
Good location for High Force.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank elle11f
North West
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Calling into Middleton on Teesdale on a warm but wet Sunday lunchtime we had a choice of approximately 6 eating places and chose 1618 Cafe. There was a good choice of menu and the food was of very good quality, cooked very well and well presented. The portion of sunday lunch I had was about the right size for most people I would say and piping hot! I was warned in a friendly manner about the temperature of the plate and I could feel the heat from that and the meal! Lovely to have hot food arrive and be able to have time to wait to start eating and it remain pretty hot throughout. The price was very reasonable just under £10 and was worth every penny.

I dont want to put any negatives but feel I must speak as I found or so the saying almost goes, in order to give a fair review.

I found the staff with the exception of the guy who brought the food to be a little lukewarm and after the initial order was taken by the 'quiet' waitress we too were left alone apart from when the food and drinks were brought. No one asked if we'd enjoyed the food, nor gave us the opportunity to order or decline dessert. I thought that perhaps whilst paying I would be asked if everything had been ok, but no. The proprietors and staff are either very convinced they have got everything right or they cant be bothered to ask in case someone might tell them something contrary to their beliefs.

Whilst we were eating, the staff had to divert a number of bikers to the gazebo round the back, but they appeared happy to go there, but other would be diners were turned away as all the inside tables were taken. There were several tables outside at the front but due to the inclement weather they were of course not being used. I'd suggest large, waterproof, sun umbrellas be put over each table as it would have been warm enough to sit out even though it was a bit damp!

We were sat at a 4 person table and felt guilty for doing so but the only 2 person table in the place which was in front of the other window, opposite to the window where we were seated, was rather cramped with another table suitable for 3 people too close behind with someone who was obviously local enjoying a tipple and chatting with the 'barmaid/waitress'.

Whilst the tables were of generous proportions, no complaints from diners of not having enough elbow room whilst eating, I feel that if smaller tables and a few more suitable for two people were carefully positioned, then the establishment would have been able to accommodate the 2 couples, a set of 3 people and another 4 during the time we were still in there that were turned away.

I didnt closely inspect the quality of the cleanliness of the place and I have to say I usually notice if things are a little lacking, but I cant say anything did spring out at me so they have either upped the cleaning in the last 2/3 weeks or the person who gave the filthy report was even fussier than I generally am.

The toilet facilities and the approach up a small flight of stairs were a bit basic, but at least they were clean and available for patrons to use.

All the above said, for the food alone I would have rated the cafe as excellent but I'm afraid the customer service let them down. My opinions about providing more suitable tables is just my opinion and if the owners are happy to be turning away paying diners then that is not a problem for me, but I did feel sorry for those turned away as I knew what lovely food they would be missing out on.
Should I be in the area again I would eat at this cafe as the food is too good to miss out on!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happytraveller045
cumbria
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I cant quite beleive im talking about the same cafe as everyone else here. We popped in today for a snack and whilst the food was nice, we sat at the front of the cafe, it was absolutely filthy. The waitress half heartedly cleaned down our table with flash wipe as we were about to eat. When I went to the counter at the front of this cafe, I nearly threw up, the cupboards behind the counter were absolutely filthy and dripping in waste food and coffee and having worked in a hotel myself I know the difference from a busy services dirt to dirt that has blatantly not been cleaned up in a very long time. One customer came in and took one look at the child seat and decided against it and I dont blame her, it was absolutely filthy and parked next to a full hoover which was left in the back of the resturant. One waitress we noted wiped a dirty milk jug out with her apron, refilled it and gave it to another customer. If we had seen the appalling state behind the counter and indeed the counter area itself when we had walked in we would of walked out. Frankly I am surprised no one has called the environmental health people in to inspect this cafe, it is surely just a matter of time. Clearly some management issues need seriously addressing here and fast before what appears to be a little potential gold mine is closed for the sake of everyones health.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rocklobster R
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stopped by this place on our way to High Force. The food was excellent and all home made. It seems to be a place for bikers to congregate but don't let that put you off. Would certainly recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank chrisboro27
bradford
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Some friends and I popped in here for a couple of pints late saturday afternoon. Bev, co-proprietor , made us very welcome. She was a very entertaining lady and so so helpful. They have a very varied menu and 2 or 3 draught ales.

Called a cafe but opens until midnight so it's really more of a bar than just a cafe.

They also do B&B

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank waj_the_badge
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My wife and I stayed in Middleton for the weekend, and ate both evening meals here. The staff were welcoming, friendly, and made adjustments to the menu to suit our needs. It's a great place, and, if we're anywhere near, we'll definitely call in again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple