Teesdale Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Brunswick House(Middleton in Teesdale)
View Hotel
The Rose & Crown(Romaldkirk)
Jersey Farm(Barnard Castle)
Grove Farm(Darlington)
View Hotel
The Manor House Hotel(West Auckland)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsfriendly hotelhotel barcourse mealsuperior roomcosy barcoal firescallop chowderfor sunday lunchwalking groupwalking holidayporkan extensive menucomfy bedstaff were lovelylovely weekendfood was lovelysteak pie
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We were camping in the area (in a tent) and the weather was grim, too horrid even to barbeque under an umbrella, so we headed into Middleton to get some food. The forresters offered French fair, but we fancied good old pub grub, and this is what we got here. Good real ale, hearty food, good service and reasonably priced. Excellent!

Also - after reading another review. There is no O2 reception in Middleton, I can confirm that. But its hardly the hotel's fault! Just enjoy being unplugged for a little while!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Davefalconer, Owner at Teesdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear geordiemark23,
thanks for appreciating our food. All of our food is made on the premises from high quality local ingredients, so when you get a pie it's a proper pie, not a lid of puff pastry on a pot of stew. It's not all 'pub-grub' either, we manage to have a very varied menu. We get local trout; brought in by local anglers, local game when available, lamb from a local farm, all simply and beautifully cooked.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Had not stayed in Middleton in Teesdale for many years, so decided to give the Teesdale Hotel a try. The hotel looks far better from the front picture, as when you go inside some of the décor is rather old, dated, and tired. For example the gents toilet on the ground floor could only be described as grim. Still had old avocado porcelain, which must date back from the 1970's, and an old filthy soap dish. This did not give me a good first impression of the hotel on arrival. Clearly quite a lot of money needs to be spent in certain areas. There is an adequate car park at the rear, through a narrow arch.

We booked a classic room, which would have been £80, but paid £52(25% off) in advance, through the hotel's own website. We were given a bedroom at the back of the hotel, which was free from any traffic noise. The room had little space, and extremely small TV, but as we were only paying £52 a night for B&B, this was not really an issue. Lovely white fluffy towels were provided. No bath, just a shower. The double bed was small, very, very, uncomfortable, and we both had a poor night's sleep.

We ate a meal in the restaurant which was rather nice. Good choice of menu, although 2 of the main dishes had gone by the time we ordered. The menu by the front door was rather faded, and out of date, as salmon was not available. Had a cooked breakfast in the morning, although the service was incredibly slow, bearing in the restaurant was virtually empty.

The staff were friendly and welcoming. Reception is not permanently manned, and was rather chaotic. When we checked out, our bill had not even been made up.

To sum up, if you can pay just £52 for B&B, and you are on a budget, then this is a good deal. Regrettably, though we will not be staying at this hotel again, as overall we were disappointed, especially with a poor night's sleep.

3  Thank V2-60885
Davefalconer, Owner at Teesdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear V2-60885,
I'm so sorry to read here that you had a poor nights sleep! Only two of our double rooms are shower only so I will be checking the beds. In our improvements we have prioritised the beds because they are so important. We are a family owned and run hotel and we reinvest as much as is possible in the hotel. In addition and most of all; we invest our time and care. We are very much well on the way to conquering the old decor and you have managed to hone in on the remainder, primarily the gents. It is however, very clean. The old metal soap dish you mention is never used, it is actually an ash tray and its kept very clean despite being rather war-torn. The menu is all cooked to order from fresh so on busy nights we often run out of certain items. We do, however, manage to provide a very comprehensive menu so there's always plenty to choose. The exterior menu box is in direct sunlight and it only takes a couple of days for a computer print out to fade; we don't have it properly printed because we change the menu regularly to accommodate the fantastic locally sourced seasonal produce which we use. Thanks for noticing the charm of this old building; it is a challenge, but we think it's worth it!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a dark and dated hotel with no mobile reception in the village and terrible customer service.
We arrived at 2pm, checked in and dropped our bags in the room and immediately went out to walk around the village. This was intended as a spur of the moment one night away.
There is no mobile reception (I use O2) at all in the village and this was a problem I realised within an hour as I was waiting for a call from home at some time this evening.
We went back to the hotel to explain this and that without phone reception we would have to leave - this isnt explained anywhere on their website so I felt it would be reasonable for them to accept my cancellation without charge - or with perhaps some compromise. Not a chance. Worse than that they said they would have to charge me as the company I booked through (Laterooms) would insist on it - they said they had no choice.
I didnt want to make a scene at the time and without mobile reception couldnt contact Laterooms to verify their claim - so I paid the full charge and left.
I later contacted laterooms to see if they would recognise my position and arrange for a full or partial reimbursement. They said it was the hotel's choice to charge or not and nothing to do with Laterooms - so who lied to me? I suspect the hotel.
If you want to go to a dark and dated hotel, with staff who are happy to lie to your face for a quick and easy quid or two, in a village with no mobile reception then this is the hotel for you - but I wont be going back I and I suggest you do yourself a favour and avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Was only in it for 5 mins so cant really help here!
Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony1973

Dear Anthony1973,
The paperwork sent to customer and hotel for all laterooms bookings states: "There will be no cancellation charge if a booking is cancelled before 10.00 hotel local time 2 days before your date of arrival. If the booking is cancelled later, or in the case of a no-show, the first night will be charged."
These terms protect the hotel from unfair loss of revenue. I am able to and happy to make concessions depending on circumstance but on a bank holiday weekend we could have filled that room three times over so I wasn't prepared to lose vital revenue. The mobile phone signal in the area is not our responsibility and I have never received a complaint that we don't forewarn people. There is also a landline telephone in every room. You are of course entitled to your opinion about the hotel. A quick glance at the vast majority of our reviews will, I hope, reassure readers that we have very high standards of hospitality.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights and really liked this small/medium size family hotel. Nice traditional feeling to the hotel. Room was comfortable etc. Cooked breakfast was very good. We also ate in the bar both nights - food was excellent! We were really impressed with the choice and quality of all the food (beef casserole, vegetarian Thai curry etc etc). WiFi was fast, although signal did not stretch to our room (so had to use lounge or bar etc). Staff are really, really helpful and friendly - Dave, the owner, is great (including very good advice on local walks etc) and Sally was also fantastic and very efficient. Prices are very reasonable, both for B+B and for food/drink. We plan to return!

2  Thank David W

Dear David W,
Thanks so much for the great review and great news that you're planning on returning!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were caught in a situation where we needed accommodation quickly with little time to plan. we fell upon the Teesdale hotel and were very pleased we did.

Good points:
Staff - all really helpful. A real credit to the place.
Bar - drinks, all served at a very reasonable price.
Parking - free
Atmosphere - very friendly

Other points:
Rooms - are basic but they provide a good base.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank suncatchershell
Davefalconer, Owner at Teesdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear suncatchershell,
I am very lucky to have such great staff! Thanks for choosing to stay here and leaving a fantastic review. Hope to see you again.