“Good value fare in cosy surroundings” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Teesdale Hotel

Teesdale Hotel
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Buckinghamshire
“Good value fare in cosy surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Food standard pretty good, and service friendly and prompt. No great pretentions, just honest value.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Mick_and_Moose

Durham, United Kingdom
“Good value, wonderful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

Have eaten in the Teesdale more times than I can remember. You get honest value, freshly cooked meals, with an eye to local produce. The lamb chops and steaks are generous and cooked to perfection. Staff couldn't be more accommodating. Friendly atmosphere. My wife and her friends spent a weekend in Middleton recently and came back raving, especially about their evening at the restaurant. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank Joe C
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

My wife and I were staying in Middleton for a short break and decided to have an evening meal at the Teesdale Hotel. We were made to feel very welcome from the start by the friendliness of the staff. Our meal was excellent, my wife had locally caught trout which was cooked to perfection and I the home cooked steak and ale pie, (very large portion) I even managed to sample a couple of the real ales they had on in the bar afterwards.

1 Thank Denpt
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not good at all.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

The soup we had for starters were served cold. They were taken back to the kitchen and microwaved to a blistering temperature. The main course of lamb cutlets was served on a bed of mashed potato which also came cold. When it returned from the kitchen the mash was again to hot to eat, the gravy was dried to the plate and the lamb was inedible. The main course of scampi was burnt. In fairness both main courses were replaced with a different dish which was ok.

• Visited April 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Davefalconer, Owner at Teesdale Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
I really am sorry about your bad experience in our restaurant. I remember the occasion and I was also horrified that our cook had just 'blasted' your food in the microwave and sent it back out. I feel I have to reply to your review because this really is uncharacteristic. I can remember apologising to your party on the night and you mentioned that you had not had a bad meal with us before. We are very conscientious about our food; incidents like this are intolerable to me but unfortunately happen VERY occasionally when staff are very busy and tired from long bank holiday weekends. I am particularly enervated to read your comments on this public forum. Myself and the waiting staff expressed our horror and sympathy at our mishap and did everything in our power to make amends. To me the worst thing that can happen is that a customer leaves carrying a sense of dissatisfaction because they are liable to tell others (or post a bad review online). You remarked that you felt that we had made good for our error with the amends that we offered. The feedback we receive from our customers is overwhelmingly positive - we provide good honest food, conscientiously prepared from local produce. In the restaurant section of Tripadvisor we now have two totally unrepresentative reviews! I have serious doubts about a forum where the customer is not solicited to post a review: I can't imagine that many people take recourse to a critical forum when they have left the venue feeling that they got what they came for - a good meal. I am sorry to post these more general comments in response to your review. I don't want to shirk the regret I feel at your bad experience - my sincere apologies.
London
“Good location, AWFUL food - Do Not Eat Here!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2009

We didn't actually stay at the hotel, but ate there on 2 occasions....well, half of our party did - my own family only ate there once & would NEVER repeat the experience. The first time the other family in our party ate there, 2 of the meals (chicken curry & lasagne) were frozen in the middle & had to be returned & re-heated. Stupidly (due to a lack of decent restaurants in the area) we went back with them the following evening. The prices, inflated in the first place for the quality of food, had gone up even more due to it being Good Friday. The sirloin steaks were tough & chewy, & tasted as though they had been cooked from frozen....also suspiciously more like a cheaper cut than sirloin. Could have soled your shoes with them. But the worst was yet to come...We also ordered 2 steak & ale pies....BOTH had to be sent back because they were stone cold inside! The waitresses were polite enough, but not particularly apologetic. The meals were taken away, blasted in a microwave, & returned. At this point, the shortcrust pastry had no 'crust' whatsoever & was a soggy mess; the gravy was a dried-up brown stain underneath. Apart from anything else, how many times had this food been heated & re-heated? Not the safest way of dealing with meat & I for one didn't fancy a case of food poisoning. We returned them & had them taken off the bill. There was no apology from the owner, no attempt to make amends (bottle of wine? desserts on the house?) - just poor young waitresses left to face the flack. The first time might have been a genuine mistake, but the same thing happening the very next day?? And having read another of your reviews, it looks like this is par for the course at this hotel. Clearly the owner has no pride in his establishment & is not interested in return trade....he knows most of his customers are passing tourists who will be gone the next day. DO NOT EAT AT THIS HOTEL

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Davefalconer, Owner/manager at Teesdale Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2009
Thank you for your feedback, and I greatly regret that your experience was so negative. I can honestly say that the majority of our feedback is positive but we are a young business and I admit that I am very 'green' -but learning fast. The recent Easter weekend, I admit was a very faltering start to the busy season which really does start all of a sudden here at Easter and it took me by surprise. The price increase was more than overdue and we brought it in to coincide with the start of the season: it has to start somewhere, perhaps on reflection a few days before Easter would have been better. The way your meals were reheated sounds bad. The food is all cooked on the premises and some meals such as lasagne and curry are portioned and frozen if we expect to be very busy. I do remember this weekend and we have learned from it, I can remember receiving the complaints from the waitress but was unable to get away from my inundated bar to deal with it(I had no idea I'd be that busy). We are very conscientious and eager to always improve, this weekend was exceptional. In general we receive positive feedback for our food. I'm very surprised also that your sirloin steaks weren't up to standard, we buy quality meat from our local butcher who is very conscientious, so this just adds to the misfortune. I really am mortified to read your comments published on a resource like Tripadvisor, but I can understand your recourse to posting complaints because I failed to deal with it on the night. I do care a lot about the service we provide to everybody and I honestly dont recognize the cynical attitude portrayed in this review.