“Very pleasant stopover” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Barn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleton in Teesdale
The Old Barn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant stopover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I spent a very pleasant rest day here on the Pennine Way. I was aiming at a little bit of luxury in a small town and that is what this very central B&B provided. The room was lovely and clean and I could have hugged the owner when she presented me with the option of scrambled eggs with salmon for breakfast as I was in the process of turning into a full English breakfast! The owner did some washing for me for a small charge and suggested local places to eat which was very helpful. The only downside for me was that the wifi didn't reach my bedroom so I had to go and sit in the lounge to use it but this isn't a big issue really.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here on the 18th May 2013 whilst walking the Pennine Way, on arrival I was met by Lynda with a wonderfully refreshing pot of tea and biscuits. She took the time to enjoy a cup with me and we had a lovely chat. My room was at the front of the building and gave me a view over the high street, though I didn't hear a sound from the street overnight. The quality of the room and its contents was outstanding and was a rare treat on my walk. The room had all the comforts of home and I had a really restful night there. Breakfast was the best I had on the 16 days of my walk, all perfectly cooked and in generous portions with plenty of toast to follow. All in all a most comfortable overnight stay, I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
LyndaTheOldBarn, Owner at The Old Barn, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Hello again and many thanks for this review, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, that the breakfast hit the spot and you were rested and ready for the second half so as to speak.

I also hope that the rest of your walk was good fun too, certainly the coutryside is fantastic which is a great start....
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

We booked The Old Barn last minute and found it to be in a perfect location and walking distance to were we wanted to be for a function we were attending. Lynda was the perfect hostess and greeted us at the door when we arrived. Nothing was too much trouble for her. Bedroom was very comfortable as were al the amenities, lovely shower. Breakfast was very enjoyable and the poached eggs were cooked to perfection. Would definitely recommended this B/B and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Thank you Lynda.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
LyndaTheOldBarn, Owner at The Old Barn, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Many thanks for your review and sorry it has taken me so long to respond - its been very busy here, as it always is in Spring, what with the wild flowers and the birds arriving to nest, there is always something to see for our visitors! Glad you enjoyed your visit and I hope you can come back this way.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

We stayed here during our walk along the Pennine Way so didn't have much difficulty sleeping most nights, but this was the best bed I've ever slept in! Lovely room in the middle of an interesting village, good welcome and an excellent breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
LyndaTheOldBarn, Owner at The Old Barn, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your lovely comments. I agree that the beds are very comfortable, indeed having tried them out I got exactly the same for myself when I needed to renew my bed! I hope you really enjoyed the rest of the your Pennine Way journey an experience I would also like to do sometime soon.
Rushden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

This is a wonderful warm welcoming hotel. From the moment you walk in the door, you are king!
The beds are really comfy and feather pillows! The rooms are really warm, the shower powerful. In the heart of the village but very quiet.
The only downside was no wifi on offer but then we did not ask. We could hear noise from the room next door but this would not put us off. We are coming back next year.
Linda was the perfect host.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
LyndaTheOldBarn, Owner at The Old Barn, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Hello and many thanks for your review. I hadnt realised that the info pack in the room doesnt mention wifi, which is available, sorry you made do without. I will be updating the info, so thank you for pointing this out. Hope to see you again soon, Lynda
Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

The Old Barn

After having a wrecked Easter holiday at Paddock House Holiday Cottages in the Peak District with no heating, no electricity, no phone contact and the owners away in Disneyland Florida enjoying the sun, we were rather hesitant on booking up another Easter holiday.

But having arrived at The Old Barn we were immediately greeted with a smile form Lynda and the offer for tea and biscuits on arrival.
Parking no problem and the rooms were spotless with new fittings lovely solid oak doors and super power showers in the rooms with LCD TV and hot drinks if needed plus lots of heating in the cold weather.

Situated in the village next to the tourist board there were no problems with pubs or restaurants around the B&B.
A full breakfast was ordered in the morning and oh boy it was full and beautifully presented and cooked by Lynda.
Nothing was too much trouble for her guests and suggested when we went home to stop off at the NT Fountains Abbey which took most of the day walking around. A couple of hours at High Force to see the frozen water and the falls roaring down the side into the river was great fun for the children while we were there.

This has been one of the best B& B places we have stayed in the UK and without any hesitation gets a full 10/10 marks.
Next time we are in the area we will be staying there again.
After having to leave early with other couples at the Paddock House and not getting any form of a refund our faith has been fully restored once again.

Room Tip: All very good and spotless. No need to pick one out.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
LyndaTheOldBarn, Owner at The Old Barn, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you for your review, glad to know you all enjoyed Fountains and yes the showers are often commented on; particularly by walkers after a long days hike!
east yorks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

We chose The Old Barn as it was the perfect midway point between home and our next stopover. The house is well situated right in the village with parking tucked away through the archway. On arrival we were warmly greeted by Lynda with tea and biscuits while she went over arrangements for our stay, including breakfast. Lynda is very friendly and helpful - she looked up the weather forecast for us as we wanted to know whether snow was forecast for the next day!
Our room was small but well appointed and included a dinky ensuite with a fantastic powerful shower! We ate out at 1618 further up the street - which we would recommend for the food and friendly hosts.
How we managed breakfast I'm not sure, but it was all beautifully prepared and delicious.
The surrounding countryside is really beautiful and I'm sure that we'll return to explore the area more fully. If we do, The Old Barn will be the ideal base!

• Stayed April 2013
LyndaTheOldBarn, Owner at The Old Barn, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Many thanks for your review both of you and hope you enjpoyed the rest of your trip, Lynda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleton in Teesdale
The Rose & Crown
The Rose & Crown
#1 of 1 in Romaldkirk
The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant
The Forresters Hotel & Restauran...
#2 of 8 in Middleton in Teesdale
The Hill B&B
The Hill B&B
#4 of 8 in Middleton in Teesdale
The Ancient Unicorn
The Ancient Unicorn
#1 of 1 in Bowes

Been to The Old Barn? Share your experiences!