The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant
The Rose & Crown(Romaldkirk)
US$198
Jersey Farm(Barnard Castle)
US$129
Priceline
US$115
The Manor House Hotel(West Auckland)
US$74
US$63
  • Pool
Teesdale Hotel(Middleton in Teesdale)
TripAdvisor
Brunswick House(Middleton in Teesdale)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe ownerfrench restaurantscallopssoupbrisketsteakout of this worldsaturday eveningtwo nightsa real gemlovely roomnight staygreat foodfollowing morningplenty of choicewell worth a visitpennine way
Reviewed 17 May 2011

As a regular patron of the Foresters restaurant I am shocked to see the below reviews. I can honestly say that The Foresters provides a fantastic eating experience again and again. The staff are sometimes a little rushed but always friendly and the food is exquisite. One thing that i point out is that all the food is cooked fresh and to order - it may make sense for the owners to make this clear as it does effect the time taken to get your food but please believe that it is worth the wait 10 fold. You wont find better for 100 Miles.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I can't rate the food here highly enough. I'm afraid I can't rate it at all.
The staff seemed friendly, the bar seemed cosy and the menu fantastic, but the food, I'm sorry to say, was absent.
We were shown into a large room with a small number of people, quietly chatting at tables. The manager stood over a happy couple grinding a massive pepper pot. I ordered steak, my girlfriend ordered fish and chips. All was well.
We waited for a while. We enjoyed the ambiance, drank our drinks and listened to a whole Celine Dion album. Then one by Boyzone.
We waited. Over an hour passed. I looked at tables of people, and they looked back at me. We were all waiting for their food.
The conversation dried up. We waited some more. We began to remark that the food was taking a long time to arrive, so I went back to the bar. There, seemingly ignored by everyone, was a collection of everyone's order tickets pinned to a noticeboard at the back of the bar.
The staff were clearly working flat out to serve drinks to people at the bar, so they didn't need me asking to pay for mine too. Maybe that was it. Maybe I didn't ask nicely enough, or let a little impatience creep into my voice. If so, I am truly sorry.
But I paid for my heinous mistake. They cancelled my order.
My girlfriend was now in tears. Well, it was her birthday after all.
We tried to reason with the manager, but he wouldn't hear of it. He claimed the food was ready to be served when the order was cancelled.
I wanted to believe him, but I didn't. I looked around me, and I could see those people who had been waiting for their food when we arrived. They were still waiting. Perhaps they wait there still.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fmalaney
Reviewed 2 May 2011

My friends and I were staying at a cottage in Middleton in Teesdale and thought we would try Forresters restaurant. We were a party of nine and booked a table well in advance. On arrival we sat in the bar and ordered some drinks and thought how nice the place looked, with good décor and comfortable sofas etc. We were given the menus and chose a starter and a main, only to be told, when the waitress came back, that what we had chosen was now 'off'! There then was a choice of two starters, both fish. We chose again. We were shown to our table and forty five minutes later we asked how long the starters would be, and were told they were on the way. We waited a little longer. When they did eventually arrive they were well presented and tasty. The table had been laid (with some knives and forks missing) with a side plate and knife suggesting that there should have been some kind of bread served with the starter, on asking, we were told that they had run out, then told that the waitress had left it in the oven! Another wait ensued. Another 45 minutes, again we asked what was occurring. The restaurant was not busy, with only two other tables of four occupied. The waitress apologised and brought over two bottles of wine. Very nice, but we would have preferred our food. Again we waited. We asked to see somebody in charge and were sent the head waitress....we asked her if we could see somebody in charge and she sent out the head chef, who we later discovered was a co-owner. He stood at a distance, not at the table. No word of explanation, no apology, but went into a tirade of abuse, shouting across the restaurant and accusing us of complaining all night. Yes, we had complained, no, not all night, and yes, we did have a reason! We told him we were thinking of going elsewhere, we would pay for what we had had, but he said 'go', and started to walk away. I asked if that was all he had to say and he just disappeared back into the kitchen! We got up and left and other tables did the same. Clearly they were not happy either. The toilets, also, were not clean and had no seat in the ladies. The fire alarm kept going off intermittently, and the waitress had to switch it off at the main switch in the end! Although the two staff that were around did their very best, this is not what you would expect in a high range restaurant with prices to match. There are quite a few eating establishments in Middleton, I strongly urge you to choose one of them over Forresters, whose management is abysmal and customer focus non-existent! A secret diner's paradise.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank jb42
forrestershotel, Owner at The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2011

We are very sorry to hear about your experience in our restaurant and that you didn't receive the same level of quality and service that we normally provide to make your evening special.

We had come near to the end of an unexpectedly busy bank holiday weekend when you arrived and consequently our available menu had, by then, been very badly depleted. Your reservation was made within hours of your arrival giving us only enough time to recruit an extra member of staff.

We appologise for bread not being provided as it should have and for the fire alarm which chose that evening to develop a fault. Waiting time for food can be longer than in other restaurants though due to everything we serve being cooked to order so as to be presented as freshly as possible.

We are aware of the problem with the toilets and these are due to be re-furbished on the 9th May - we opened fully less than a year ago after the establishment had been shut down for the previous three years. Throughout this time we have been continually improving the hotel - and the toilets are next on the adgenda. As for the cleanliness, we clean them every day and I can only presume that due to the busyness of the day they had not been checked properly as they would have been normally - for which I appologise again.

Reviewed 17 November 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel with restaurant and pub.
I've stayed in alot of large chain hotels recently through work and it was refreshing to stay somewhere smaller where you are served on such a personal level. The manager and his staff were very friendly and made an effort to ensure our stay was perfect.
The food was amazing, there is a sign boasting that food is cooked fresh and to order and it certainly tasted that way.
I think the icing on the cake was that breakfast was included, delivered to our bedroom at no extra cost and no time limit on when we ate it. We had a nice lie in and and breakfast in bed both mornings we were there.
The surrounding area is a beautiful get away from city life in an area of outstanding natural beauty.
All in all a very nice weekend away.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Recently refurbished hotel trying to make its mark , Rooms were clean and tidy if a little noisy ( From downstairs bar).but this was short lived ..Stafff were friendly ,discreet & more than helpfull ...You are definitely made to feel at home .
Initially I looked at the restaurant menu and considered going elsewhere as I thought it was pricey ,however dont mke this mistake
The quality of ingedients ,preparation and authenticity of the dishes (French) was superb , portions were good , well presented and in fact were great value and probably the nearest you will get to French cuisine in this part of the world ..& wait until you see the "tit bits " on the side .
Nice bar and small Deli available with authentic european produce If you would like a drink or nibble after Dinner or in fact any timeduring your stay
In a word good value (2 words ?) & will stay again ..
Good luck to this business Very customer oriented .
People with this work ethic are hard to find , hope they succeed

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple