“Absolutely first class”

The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant
“Absolutely first class”
Reviewed 5 June 2011

What a fantastic find! The village of Middleton itself is extremely welcoming and full of character; the people are very friendly and together with the variety of quirky, interesting and local run shops, provides a fantastic visit. The hotel and restaurant follow this trend. Although few staff, the food is exquisite without fail, with a fantastic selection. The staff are very helpful and efficient, and the hotel has a fantastic atmosphere and a warm feel. I highly recommend a stay here in Middleton, if not just a meal here at the hotel. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Beautiful location, lots to do, extremely friendly and sublime food!

• Stayed June 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

The Restaurant facilities at the Hotel across the road did not meet what we wanted. In the afternoon we went into Forretsers to see what they had. We found a pleasant bar area and a reasonable menu. Made the mistake of ordering a pint of beer called " Black Sheep". It was diabolically poor and I couldn't drink it.
Returned in the evening for a meal and the food was to a good standard and served promptly. Staff succeeded in providing a good standard of service
Next time we are in the area we will stay and eat in this Hotel and not in the Teesdale across the road.

Room Tip: Request a room at the rear to overlook the river
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I went to The Forresters for a meal with my boyfriend and family and absolutely loved it. Great friendly atmosphere with really professional service.

I had a starter of smoked haddock fishcake with tartar sauce, and for main, an absolutely divine breast of chicken stuffed with Boursin cheese and wrapped in parma ham. The breast was cooked to perfection and set off very nicely with some lightly seasoned dauphinoise potatoes.

The nicest surprise was the cost!

All in all- a fantastic evening. Just surprised that the queue wasn't outside the door! A strong recommendation to everyone to visit if you get the chance.

• Stayed May 2011
Thirsk
Reviewed 17 May 2011

As a regular patron of the Foresters restaurant I am shocked to see the below reviews. I can honestly say that The Foresters provides a fantastic eating experience again and again. The staff are sometimes a little rushed but always friendly and the food is exquisite. One thing that i point out is that all the food is cooked fresh and to order - it may make sense for the owners to make this clear as it does effect the time taken to get your food but please believe that it is worth the wait 10 fold. You wont find better for 100 Miles.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I can't rate the food here highly enough. I'm afraid I can't rate it at all.
The staff seemed friendly, the bar seemed cosy and the menu fantastic, but the food, I'm sorry to say, was absent.
We were shown into a large room with a small number of people, quietly chatting at tables. The manager stood over a happy couple grinding a massive pepper pot. I ordered steak, my girlfriend ordered fish and chips. All was well.
We waited for a while. We enjoyed the ambiance, drank our drinks and listened to a whole Celine Dion album. Then one by Boyzone.
We waited. Over an hour passed. I looked at tables of people, and they looked back at me. We were all waiting for their food.
The conversation dried up. We waited some more. We began to remark that the food was taking a long time to arrive, so I went back to the bar. There, seemingly ignored by everyone, was a collection of everyone's order tickets pinned to a noticeboard at the back of the bar.
The staff were clearly working flat out to serve drinks to people at the bar, so they didn't need me asking to pay for mine too. Maybe that was it. Maybe I didn't ask nicely enough, or let a little impatience creep into my voice. If so, I am truly sorry.
But I paid for my heinous mistake. They cancelled my order.
My girlfriend was now in tears. Well, it was her birthday after all.
We tried to reason with the manager, but he wouldn't hear of it. He claimed the food was ready to be served when the order was cancelled.
I wanted to believe him, but I didn't. I looked around me, and I could see those people who had been waiting for their food when we arrived. They were still waiting. Perhaps they wait there still.

3 Thank fmalaney
Banham, Norfolk, Uk
Reviewed 2 May 2011

My friends and I were staying at a cottage in Middleton in Teesdale and thought we would try Forresters restaurant. We were a party of nine and booked a table well in advance. On arrival we sat in the bar and ordered some drinks and thought how nice the place looked, with good décor and comfortable sofas etc. We were given the menus and chose a starter and a main, only to be told, when the waitress came back, that what we had chosen was now 'off'! There then was a choice of two starters, both fish. We chose again. We were shown to our table and forty five minutes later we asked how long the starters would be, and were told they were on the way. We waited a little longer. When they did eventually arrive they were well presented and tasty. The table had been laid (with some knives and forks missing) with a side plate and knife suggesting that there should have been some kind of bread served with the starter, on asking, we were told that they had run out, then told that the waitress had left it in the oven! Another wait ensued. Another 45 minutes, again we asked what was occurring. The restaurant was not busy, with only two other tables of four occupied. The waitress apologised and brought over two bottles of wine. Very nice, but we would have preferred our food. Again we waited. We asked to see somebody in charge and were sent the head waitress....we asked her if we could see somebody in charge and she sent out the head chef, who we later discovered was a co-owner. He stood at a distance, not at the table. No word of explanation, no apology, but went into a tirade of abuse, shouting across the restaurant and accusing us of complaining all night. Yes, we had complained, no, not all night, and yes, we did have a reason! We told him we were thinking of going elsewhere, we would pay for what we had had, but he said 'go', and started to walk away. I asked if that was all he had to say and he just disappeared back into the kitchen! We got up and left and other tables did the same. Clearly they were not happy either. The toilets, also, were not clean and had no seat in the ladies. The fire alarm kept going off intermittently, and the waitress had to switch it off at the main switch in the end! Although the two staff that were around did their very best, this is not what you would expect in a high range restaurant with prices to match. There are quite a few eating establishments in Middleton, I strongly urge you to choose one of them over Forresters, whose management is abysmal and customer focus non-existent! A secret diner's paradise.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank jb42
forrestershotel, Owner at The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 4 May 2011
We are very sorry to hear about your experience in our restaurant and that you didn't receive the same level of quality and service that we normally provide to make your evening special.

We had come near to the end of an unexpectedly busy bank holiday weekend when you arrived and consequently our available menu had, by then, been very badly depleted. Your reservation was made within hours of your arrival giving us only enough time to recruit an extra member of staff.

We appologise for bread not being provided as it should have and for the fire alarm which chose that evening to develop a fault. Waiting time for food can be longer than in other restaurants though due to everything we serve being cooked to order so as to be presented as freshly as possible.

We are aware of the problem with the toilets and these are due to be re-furbished on the 9th May - we opened fully less than a year ago after the establishment had been shut down for the previous three years. Throughout this time we have been continually improving the hotel - and the toilets are next on the adgenda. As for the cleanliness, we clean them every day and I can only presume that due to the busyness of the day they had not been checked properly as they would have been normally - for which I appologise again.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel with restaurant and pub.
I've stayed in alot of large chain hotels recently through work and it was refreshing to stay somewhere smaller where you are served on such a personal level. The manager and his staff were very friendly and made an effort to ensure our stay was perfect.
The food was amazing, there is a sign boasting that food is cooked fresh and to order and it certainly tasted that way.
I think the icing on the cake was that breakfast was included, delivered to our bedroom at no extra cost and no time limit on when we ate it. We had a nice lie in and and breakfast in bed both mornings we were there.
The surrounding area is a beautiful get away from city life in an area of outstanding natural beauty.
All in all a very nice weekend away.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
#4 of 8 in Middleton in Teesdale
The Three Horseshoes Hotel
The Three Horseshoes Hotel
#1 of 20 in Barnard Castle

Been to The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!