“Great Food & Service”

The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We booked a two-night stay as a quick getaway. The food and service was exceptional. I had a huge bowl of sea-fresh mussels, followed by a succulent rack of lamb and washed down by an excellent pint of black Sheep. French cuisine and English ale at is very best. Our welcome was warm and friendly and the staff were very attentive. Just what we wanted to allow us to enjoy our break from the hurly-burly.

Room Tip: We booked through Groupon into a standard room. It may be better to pay a little more for a room wit...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a groupon deal which was exceptionally good value. Our room was nicely decorated clean and comfortable. We decided to eat in the restaurant on the first night- the food was nice but a bit more fancy and pricey compared to other pubs in the area, not really what me and my partner are in to- preferring more traditional options, but food was plentiful and cooked and presented well. Breakfast was good with plenty of variety- scrambled eggs and salmon, full English, pancakes and the "famous" gateau. Only one main grumble- our room was VERY noisy, music from the bar could be heard word for word, not ideal when you're wanting to get to sleep for a busy day of exploring. To conclude we enjoyed our stay and would return if in the area and the price was right

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cherryblossom759
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Do not hesitate to ring and ask for a deal, this is a wonerful place to stay with excellent staff,rooms,food and walks. The food is to die for and does not leave you wanting......... only wondering what could possibly top it next time! Excellent menu choices both bar meals and restaurant. Rooms are comfortable,clean and well provided with good decor. We went for a quiet 60th birthday away hustle and bustle, the whole staff and clients sang happy birthday. Big thanks to Franck, Matt and Dan, all very helpful and very charming. We will definately be returning. We had to change our booking at short notice and Franck was very understanding and amenamle an excellent host.

Room Tip: Not suitable for disabled access. Saturday night a little noisy but hey what do you expect it is a b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tracy-marie j
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I met a lifelong friend and we stayed at The Forresters Hotel.On arrival we were greeted by the smiling and friendly owner,this was the start of a fantastic two night break in lovely Middleton,which held many childhood memories for me.The owner showed us to our lovely twin room,which was excellent,gorgeous luxury bathroom,telescope and all!beds spotless and very comfy,tea,coffee,hot chocolate readily available.The views towards the church and onto the village were lovely.We decided to stay in for our evening meals,and we were so glad we did!The food is first class,very French,a wonderful reflection on Franc the French owner,the quality was outstanding,and presentation so perfect.I personally had the twice baked cheese soufflé both evenings as it was second to none!main courses were yummy and we delighted in different choices,each of us thoroughly enjoying each evening meal!
Dan was the man at breakfast time!a breath of fresh air and made breakfast a blast!the ingredients used were delicious,fresh and tasty!enjoyed by us both!the pancakes were absolutely gorgeous.Thankyou for a terrific stay,your friendly attention to detail and atmospheric surroundings are a winner.Hope the season is good for you all,and can't wait to return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CumbriaLizzy
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned from staying 3 days at the Forresters using a Groupon voucher. We had a wonderful time.We hadn't realised that the restaurant had a distinct french feel but this was a big bonus. We had all our meals in the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed every single one. Our room was of a reasonable size with a big bathroom. Franck and his staff were very friendly and helpful and Jo his wife is a superb cook. The only slight negative, that on the first night there was quite a bit of noise in the bedroom from down below. We will definitely be back

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redscarfox
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This was another Groupon experience - and another solidly positive experience too;
Six of us descended on the area - we had a brilliant time, walking and eating and drinking in and about Barnard Castle and Middleton in Teesdale .. 6 long-term friends just taking a break from life and enjoying each others company.
Good bedrooms, well done out, nice bathrooms / showers (some ONLY have a shower if you are needy of a bath), and a warm welcome.
Good quality real ales at £2 a pint and amazing quality food from the kitchen at a pretty reasonable price ... top notch to be honest!
The breakfasts were very good too, and plenty of it
I would pay top price rather than Groupon to go back and have the fun and food experience we enjoyed.... that's how good it was!

Room Tip: A general tip - make sure you stay up late enough to not be bothered by late night music events in t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dirkvdw
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have just come back from a Saturday to Monday stay here with my partner. I don't usually write reviews, but I had such a nice time and was so impressed, I felt compelled to express how much of a positive experience my stay was.

Food - We ate at the restaurant on our firsts night of our stay. I expected just your normal hotel/bar grub but I was pleasantly surprised and their food surpassed my expectations. In fact, not only did the food surpass my expectations of bar food, it would have surpassed my expectations of any 5 starred restaurant. I ordered coq au vin and my partner ordered merguez. Both our dishes were extremely tasty and the portions were very generous. The second night we just ate in the bar area. I had a simple steak and onion baguette and my partner had tomato and orange soup, which is the best soup I've ever tasted. For breakfast both mornings I had scrambled eggs and salmon on toast which was cooked perfectly and presented wonderfully. We discovered that the chef is trained in patisserie and we sampled a few home made chocolates - wow..just WOW!
At this establishment, even the simplest of options on their menu has an extra special unique twist. For example, even their chips are not just chips, they are home cooked, finely chopped and garnished. It seems as though all their food is well thought and lovingly prepared. It is food heaven.

Room - I loved the room we stayed in (4). The décor was modern, clean, relaxing and elegant - not like your generic corporate chain hotel. We had a comfy king size bed which was a nice change. The icing on the cake for me was the bathroom; huge, modern and chic with a beautiful free-standing bathtub and even had a decorative telescope.
The facilities in the room were also good - modern flat screen TV, free wi-fi, kettle, tea, milk and coffee.
The only negative about the room would be that it is above the bar and if you are picky about noise at night or like and early night, you would probably be better off getting a room away from the music and noise of people coming and going (on a weekend night). However, saying that, it was only noticeable on our first night which was a Saturday. On Sunday we didn't have any issues with noise from the bar.

Staff - we had most staff contact from Matt, who was so friendly, helpful and an absolute delight. Each and every staff member that we spoke to was lovely. We got the impression that all the staff were naturally friendly and sociable and weren't just being nice to us because they had to be - they appeared genuinely interested and helpful. Whoever hired the staff made a good choice.

Atmosphere - the hotel is nicely decorated - modern, clean and has lots of little quirky accents.

Things to do here - On our first day we had a trip to Barnard castle and the village, which is only about 15 mins away by car. On the second day we had a trip to Durham (about 30-40mins away by car); visited the cathedral and had a walk around the pretty village. We then went to Newcastle. On our last day we had a walk around Full Force waterfall (which is well worth a view and is only 5 miles away from the hotel). It was a cold and wet weekend when we went, so we didn't do as much walking as I would have liked but I would love to go back here to explore the beautiful countryside more.

I booked the weekend away on a Groupon voucher just to go somewhere new. Even on a non-discounted price, this hotel experience is worth every penny, and more. We had a lovely time.

Like the food here, absolutely everything in this hotel is well thought out, of high standard and seems lovingly followed through.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
#7 of 10 in Middleton in Teesdale
The Coach And Horses
The Coach And Horses
#17 of 19 in Barnard Castle

Been to The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!