“Not that spectacular, but worth seeing”

High Force Waterfall
Reviewed 24 May 2014

It definitely depends on how much rainfall there has been to see the falls at their best. We saw it on a day when there had been little rain, and the river level was very low, so it was not such a spectacular sight. But it was a pleasant walk down the pathway (the smell of wild garlic is very nice) so it was an enjoyable visit. It would appear that the pub at the car park and entrance only serves food at lunchtime, so be aware of that, and bring your own snacks and drinks!

2  Thank middlec
"the pub"
in 31 reviews
"circular walk"

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Visited high force and lower force on a rainy day in May. There was a charge to visit high force of £1.50 each. Worth the visit but felt rather disappointed in upper force as it was sold as the largest waterfall in England. Now as much as I don't doubt this statement, I was hoping for a more spectacular vision. It's a very pleasant walk to the waterfall where I kind of wished I had visited it from the other side where it appeared there was a better view down the from the waterfall. We then drove to the lower fall a short distance away. I found this to be more pleasing to the eye with smaller waterfalls adding to it's charm.
There is a pleasant pub at upper fall for food and drink. There is a cafe with shop at lower force. Would I go again? Yes, if in the area and it was a drier day. I would take a picnic and spend a fair amount of time investigating the lower force.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Beautiful day out, nice little walk along the paths leading to the waterfall.
We went in February so obviously it was quite chilly, but hardly any people were there so very peaceful.
Definitely worth a visit for a cheeky little day out!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were met at the carpark entrance by a friendly lady who explained that we were to pay £2 for parking and then pay £1.50 each at the gift shop to allow us to go down to the falls. Toilets are situated in the carpark. The walk down to the falls is down a gravelled path and then a less even set of steps. The falls are spectacular but disappointingly you can no longer basin access to the top (due to health and safety) although they still allow you to climb pointlessly to the top of a set of stone steps. NOTE:access to the top of the falls is available from the footpath on the far side of the river, but it seemed a long walk. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.