“Peace and quiet with good room, food and beer!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleton in Teesdale
Strathmore Arms at Holwick
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I had often passed this pub whilst walking in Teesdale. However, I had not called in for over twenty years but after reading the reviews decided to rectify this.
Selina and Anthony were both extremely welcoming and even introduced my wife and myself to the locals to help make us feel at home. Without reiterating all of the other comments on this site (which I 100% endorse), I would simply like to state that WE WILL BE BACK!
Unfortunately, I think that I missed the Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre and so can't rate them - go for a walk instead along the Tees.

Room Tip: Stayed on a Wednesday and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raygrayson

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Another trip to the Strathmore, this time with friends who have never eaten there before.
Once again, a warm welcome from Les & Anthony, the beer is superb & the food amazing and reasonably priced.
We had gammon & chips (which we always have!), they are proper home cooked chips, with peas & two free range eggs.
The desserts are also to die for.
Our intention is to spend a full day there soon, try all of the real ales & stay in one of the rooms, as they are lovely & at £65 per room B&B, is a bargain!
The place is a gem!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kym0392
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I grew up in Middleton-in-Teesdale so I know Holwick quite well from evenings spent as a young boy with Mum and Dad; drinking in the only pub of the area. The Strathmore Arms came as an idea to me as I needed somewhere for me and my partner to stay whilst visiting my parents. My partner is very allergic to pets and my family have a collie so their house wasn't an option. My partner has little positive experience with staying away from home; as landlords dismiss her as 'hassle' so I arrived quite anxious. My anxieties were totally alleviated as Anthony and Selina were less like landlords and more like old friends who were having us round for a weekend despite only meeting me once. They were hands down the best hosts I've ever been with.

Despite my partner having complex dietary and health requirements due to asthma and eczema Anthony and Selina didn't let us down once. The room was 100% Egyptian cotton which was a life saver. Anthony cooked specially to our diet with no warning and every worry we had, they smiled and reassured us with a solution.

In short this is the best hotel I've stayed in and I look forward to my anniversary with my girlfriend this August which I'm spending at this wonderful place. We were planning on staying at the Gateshead Hilton near Newcastle as we fancied a little luxury but we found true luxury, at a fair price at the Strathmore. Thank you Anthony and Selina x

Room Tip: Book early as the Strathmore Arms is super popular!
1  Thank Alex W
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This place is the find of the century we used the pub while we where staying near by at Meadows Edge cottage. From the minute you walk through the door. Mine hosts Anthony & Selina could not have been more friendly along with the locals we where made to feel at home. Nothing was too much trouble both very knowledgeable on the local area. We used it every night apart from Tuesday when it is closed we ate there several times and the food is fantastic all fresh produce the only problem is that Anthony who does the cooking only knows one portion size Large but priced very reasonably. One could wax on lyrical for ages. On a Friday night they have live music with no disrespect. The two gentlemen must have a joint age of about 140 but they could play anything on the Guitar, Banjo & Electric guitar. Where else could you be in a pub with live music and only 10 people in the pub. There is a sign in the pub that says Enter a stranger and leave a Friend that is most definitely true.

2  Thank Gordon H
Reviewed 11 May 2013

The Land Lord & Lady are friendly and very accommodating. The pub has a nice relaxing atmosphere with open fire. I took friends there we shared bottle wine of which there is a good selection of especially reds. With this they do a fabulous cheese board and ploughman’s lunch which is always available perfect for nibbles with wine and sharing with a group of friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Annemarie F
Reviewed 10 May 2013

An interesting and unique pub in a wonderful setting, we called in for an evening meal and were made to feel very welcome and at ease. It was nice to see some real ales so i had a Golden Plover which was a tasty pint. We ordered a lasagne and a steak and kidney pudding and took a seat by the warming open fire. The food was homemade delicious and excellent value for money and we would certainly call in again.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stumbled across this hidden gem over a year ago. Peaceful, quaint and a pleasant drive out. The Gent behind the bar is lovely and made you feel welcome and the locals pleasant. We raved about this place to our family and friends and arranged for this time to all go together, What a mistake that was. We arrived and the place wasn't busy but not empty. Around 8 or so people were waiting for a Sunday dinner. We thought we would go outside and sit in the beer garden as the rain shower had eased off and we had a small child with us and figured, as we are decent people we would let him toddle about, give the other customers ears a rest as he was getting bored and us take in the lovely surroundings. That is when we encountered 'the cook'. She perhaps felt the strain off cooking 8 or so meals (of which I noticed the Yorkshire puddings were left, who leaves Yorkshire puddings???) My husband had leaned over the boarder to look up the country path talking about how we should go for a wander up there, and out of nowhere a voice shouts 'stay off the flower beds!' in a bit of an unpleasant manner. We looked around and thought nothing of it, then noticed a woman looking over the fence. We thought she was joking as my husband was no where near the alleged flower beds (I have a photo of them...I'm still wondering where she was looking) and also thought what on earth is she on about as I sit here typing there were no flowers and he politely replied he wasn't anywhere near them. He had in fact stepped on the stones beside the dumped bag of wood chips, briefly may I add for all but 3 seconds. She then argued 'yes you are, I saw you'. My husband doesn't suffer fools gladly and replied he really wasn't and she then argued again 'yeah, yeah, I believe you'. Well this left an uncomfortable silence and an aukward atmosphere. As avid gardeners ourselves whom have an allotment, and have beautifully kept gardens at home we are respectful of flowers, shrubs and such like and it honestly had no flowers in it. So there fore it baffles me why she felt the need to be so rude?!? All I can think is the poor woman was stressed and took it out on us. Such a shame, as like we said the Gent behind the bar is lovely, the pub is nice and it is in lovely surroundings plus all the other times we had visited we were met with warm hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
The Rose & Crown
The Rose & Crown
#1 of 1 in Romaldkirk
The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant
The Forresters Hotel & Restauran...
#2 of 10 in Middleton in Teesdale
The Hill B&B
The Hill B&B
#4 of 10 in Middleton in Teesdale
Leekworth Caravan Park
Leekworth Caravan Park
#1 of 1 in Middleton in Teesdale

Been to Strathmore Arms at Holwick? Share your experiences!