“Miles ahead of the competition” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Strathmore Arms at Holwick

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleton in Teesdale
Strathmore Arms at Holwick
Brighton
“Miles ahead of the competition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Getting to this pub requires an effort: drop by when you walk the Pennines Way, cycle there or drive down a road signposted as a dead end. But the result will be worth it. There is an easier solution - rent a room upstairs. Convivial hosts, a welcome and an atmosphere that belongs to a bygone age. Good home cooking style pub grub - half a roasted chicken piri piri, fish & chips, steak, thai fish cames, local cheese, a variety of other popular dishes and local beer. No this is not a gastropub; they don't serve food all day or everyday and the only hint of Michelin are the tyres on the cars outside. This what many country pubs try to be but mostly fail; a 21st century English pub that still maintains an old world charm, where you can have a conversation with the hosts and fellow visitors. You leave this pub with one thought: I'd like to come here again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Selena and Anthony could not have been more helpful or hospitable. From providing an excellent breakfast to offering pleasant conversation, they have an excellent customer-focussed approach. My room was well furnished with a comfortable bed and a good shower with good quality toiletries provided, just what you need after a long walk in the dales. The pub is quiet at night and in a rural location away from traffic noise. They source a lot of their food locally and the real ales on tap are excellent. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Decided to have a weekend away from the children with our friends in North Yorkshire so after planning a pleasant stroll we looked around for a reasonably priced hotel nearby and stumbled upon the Strathmore Arms, what a stroke of luck for us!
We stayed for two nights at the end of June and received a very warm welcome from Selina and Anthony, we had two rooms which were both very pleasant and very clean too and at £65 per room was an absolute steal. The pub food that night was good old fashioned pub grub which was also very reasonably priced as were the drinks.
Breakfast was enormous, I mean literally huge, full english consisted of 3 eggs, 3 sausages, 3 peices of bacon etc and home made bread too, totally spoilt (and full) we were! We had a great walk to 'high force' falls which is literally on the doorstep and then came back for a snack of cheese and biscuits, 2 platters was plenty for 4 of us!
To summarise then, the strathmore is clean, comfy, chep,very accomodating, incredibly friendly and well worth a visit, I highly reccomend!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katie P
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Hadn't been to the Strathmore for nearly 25 years, back then it had a great atmosphere, setees and armchairs around the open fire (but that was in the days of cigarette smoking in pubs, so the walls and ceiling were a bit on the brown side, which I didn't like much).

Clean and inviting now and very friendly and the atmosphere is just as nice. (The open fire is still there). Had a nice meal from a varied menu. The two regular Friday night artistes kindly let me join them on my bodhran for the night, which chuffed me no end.

If eating at weekends you must book, they had a full house.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Canyou
North-East England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

I had often passed this pub whilst walking in Teesdale. However, I had not called in for over twenty years but after reading the reviews decided to rectify this.
Selina and Anthony were both extremely welcoming and even introduced my wife and myself to the locals to help make us feel at home. Without reiterating all of the other comments on this site (which I 100% endorse), I would simply like to state that WE WILL BE BACK!
Unfortunately, I think that I missed the Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre and so can't rate them - go for a walk instead along the Tees.

Room Tip: Stayed on a Wednesday and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank raygrayson
Barnard Castle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Another trip to the Strathmore, this time with friends who have never eaten there before.
Once again, a warm welcome from Les & Anthony, the beer is superb & the food amazing and reasonably priced.
We had gammon & chips (which we always have!), they are proper home cooked chips, with peas & two free range eggs.
The desserts are also to die for.
Our intention is to spend a full day there soon, try all of the real ales & stay in one of the rooms, as they are lovely & at £65 per room B&B, is a bargain!
The place is a gem!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kym0392
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

I grew up in Middleton-in-Teesdale so I know Holwick quite well from evenings spent as a young boy with Mum and Dad; drinking in the only pub of the area. The Strathmore Arms came as an idea to me as I needed somewhere for me and my partner to stay whilst visiting my parents. My partner is very allergic to pets and my family have a collie so their house wasn't an option. My partner has little positive experience with staying away from home; as landlords dismiss her as 'hassle' so I arrived quite anxious. My anxieties were totally alleviated as Anthony and Selina were less like landlords and more like old friends who were having us round for a weekend despite only meeting me once. They were hands down the best hosts I've ever been with.

Despite my partner having complex dietary and health requirements due to asthma and eczema Anthony and Selina didn't let us down once. The room was 100% Egyptian cotton which was a life saver. Anthony cooked specially to our diet with no warning and every worry we had, they smiled and reassured us with a solution.

In short this is the best hotel I've stayed in and I look forward to my anniversary with my girlfriend this August which I'm spending at this wonderful place. We were planning on staying at the Gateshead Hilton near Newcastle as we fancied a little luxury but we found true luxury, at a fair price at the Strathmore. Thank you Anthony and Selina x

Room Tip: Book early as the Strathmore Arms is super popular!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Teesdale Hotel
Teesdale Hotel
#1 of 3 in Middleton in Teesdale
The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant
The Forresters Hotel & Restauran...
#2 of 8 in Middleton in Teesdale
The Ancient Unicorn
The Ancient Unicorn
#1 of 1 in Bowes
Old Coach House At The Golden Lion
Old Coach House At The Golden Li...
#1 of 2 in St. John's Chapel

Been to Strathmore Arms at Holwick? Share your experiences!