“Not such a warm welcome...”
Review of The Ox Inn

The Ox Inn
Ranked #5 of 47 Restaurants in Stanley
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Roughly a month ago, I visited with some of my family. The food was beautiful and reasonably priced.I had the pork, sausage and apple cider pie with chips. One member of the serving staff was fantastic. Other than that though, the staff came across as unhappy and unwelcoming. Several times staff walked past us without a word being spoken, before we asked at the bar about the table we'd booked.

Excusing that, we went back recently, looking forward to some good grub again. Again, miserable looking and sounding staff. When a member of the group came back from ordering the food at the bar, they told of how the server had responded to one of the orders with "What?". A little abrupt and impolite.

The food arrived and some aspects were great. I had the pie again (it's beautiful!) with chips and vegetables. The pie was just as expected, the chips however were a let down. Last time they'd been beautiful but this time they were hard and chewy, though still edible. We never mentioned it, mainly through never being asked if our meals were okay, either part way through or at the end when the plates were taken. Okay though, sometimes things aren't perfect.

Desserts were lovely!

I think the food is alright. Certain items are great, chips can be hit and miss. Staff is certainly an issue for me. I want to feel welcome when I go out to eat, and I certainly didn't have this vibe at the Ox Inn.

Will certainly be giving it another chance though!

1  Thank NilsyFjel

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is definately one of our regular haunts. Good choice of food at excellent prices and some good offers. We have had quite alot of different meals over the time we have spent coming here and although quality can vary we have still never come away dissapointed. A decent restaurant to get your belly filled with homely pub grub, Sunday Dinner is the best!

1  Thank suzier926
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We go regular for lunch,the meals are very good home cooked meals. The prices a reasonable as well. The staff are friendly and very accommodating and it has a good atmosphere.

2  Thank TREWI
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Booked a table for 6pm. Walked out at 6.15pm after being blanked by staff members even when stood at the bar waiting to be seen.

1  Thank Sarah F
Reviewed 30 December 2013

went for lunch, hubby ordered chicken tikka and rice, and a side order of chips, not a very good portion, a bit on the small size.Hubby thought it was okay but nothing to remember, won t order again. I ordered luxury fish pie, served in a small bowl, which was half full, mostly mashed potato with very little fish in, three prawns two small cubes of salmon and a couple of flakes of leek, very poor value, nothing luxurious about this, came with garlic bread and side salad. Don t think we will be going back for a while. Poor value

2  Thank katie h