“good weekend away”
Review of South Causey Inn

South Causey Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Stanley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Second visit to this hotel . Staff very attentive food very good though my partners steak was tough, room comfortable and clean with en suite .only complaint was lack of information this morning at breakfast we were not aware of buffet service previous mornings had been waiter service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for South Causey Inn

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Went with my wife on Easter Sunday as a special treat.....after entering we were seated by a very friendly and cheerful lady.....I had been looking forward to a steak all day only to find after sitting down and ordering drinks we were presented with a tatty looking menu which was basically just a double sided printed A4 sheet of paper which to my total disappointment did not have steaks any where to be seen on it!......after asking why we were told that it was Sunday and they don't serve steaks on a Sunday!...shortly after we were presented with our drinks with a 50% success rate as mine was not what I had ordered........my wife and I then ordered starters and mains.....starters were prawn cocktail for her and spicy wedges and dips for me, both were ok and didn't take to long.

My wife chose the Sunday roast with Beef as the meat of choice, I had the 8oz cheese burger and chunky chips with dips, we also ordered extra onion rings.
On arrival at the table the meals looked fine however after a short wait we realised the extra onion rings were not going to be forth coming so I got up and asked where they were, the waiter apologised and said he would sort this out.
My meal in all honesty was fine, the burger was tasty and filling however my Wife's roast was not, the Yorkshire pudding was hard to cut and rubbery, the veg looked anything but fresh with the cauliflower just consisting of a stalk with no sign of any florets and there was very little of it and the beef although plentiful was covered in fat and gristle.....my wife therefore ate very little but we have two dogs at home which did benefit from a late beef supper.

Nearing the end of our meal we were finally presented with the elusive onion rings which were under cooked so were left in the bowl!

In conclusion, I believe that the first impression of a place will determine whether you return or recommend to friends, I am sorry to say that I will be doing neither.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher B
Reviewed 19 April 2014

7 of us had a family meal here and the quality of the food was surprisingly good considering the size of the menu.
Our room was disappointing -- it was noisy (aircon or generator) and whilst the hotel boasts superb views, we only saw bricks and mortar.

Room Tip: We saw room 5 and stayed in room 7 -- it was noisy all night long (aircon or generator)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank shirlham
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Went to the south causy inn for friends wedding the food is to die for the service was excellent could not fault any thing the rooms are very good nice touches fresh orange and cakes in the room the beds are very comfortable would defiantly stay here again thanks to all of the staff for a great weekend

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very good
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter Joseph k
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Went here for a birthday treat with the family the menu was extensive enough for all the different tastes of my picky family and everyone was very impressed with the food and all the staff very friendly very efficient. Will definitely return and would definitely recommend you try you won't believe the size of the portions.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Just back from staying a night at South Causey Inn. We went to celebrate a relations 90th birthday and had a really enjoyable stay. We arrived late afternoon and were greeted and shown to our room (room 14). We had time to shower before going down for our meal, the only criticism I would make was the shower took a long time to get hot. The room was very comfortable and very clean. We had complimentary cookies and fresh orange - a lovely welcoming touch. The meal was excellent and a gentleman called Jamie looked after our party and I have to say he was very friendly and attentive and looked after us all very well.
We slept very well, very comfortable bed and the lady who looked after us at breakfast time was also extremely helpful and friendly.
After our breakfast we went for a wander to the stables and had a chat to the gardener and the owners father.
I have to say all the staff were so friendly and helpful. The Inn is really clean and inviting. We will definitely stay here again in the summertime.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The South Causey Inn is a place me and my partner started to eat out at and soon became our favourite place for food, the food is second to none and always receive amazing service, the food is all home cooked and never once have I ha a complaint, big food portions also.
If you are looking for a place to stay for the night I would recommend.
I would like to say however if you are planning a wedding use this venue, we got married in Feb this year at this venue, we received such amazing compliments about the venue how beautiful it was and alot of my guests said it was one of the best if not the best wedding they had attended, all the little details of the wedding to the biggest were all well thought out. We would like to personall thank the staff who carried otu the waitress service on the day, and a massive thank you to Claire our wedding co-ordinator, she is absolutley amazing and did everything we ased without a moan, her service is top class. So please please if you want a good wedding venue please keep them in mind, room 26 was our bridal suit what a beautiful room.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to room 26 for bridal suite, all rooms are beautiful and very comfortable
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Beamish Park Hotel
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle South Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle South Hote...
#43 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to South Causey Inn? Share your experiences!