“Good night out”
Review of South Causey Inn

South Causey Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Stanley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2014

What a good hotel great for kids horses,rabbits,geese,hens. It's a fantastic setting and only a few miles from beamish. The food at this hotel is very good,waiters can not do enough for you.hotel offers good facilities good rooms not bad prices look out for offers.

Room Tip: All rooms look good, but look at web site first.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2014

What a lovely cosy place to stay the rooms are not very big or luxurious but comfy enough. It's the place as a whole which is brilliant all the staff are friendly the bar area is so full of character and cosy with a big open fire and the restaurant is second to none. Really lovely food at reasonable prices. Massive portions too. Seeing all the animals aswell makes this such a unique little place to stay definitely like to visit again if I did I'd probably book a better room we only had a basic one there are pricier options with newer bigger rooms. I'd only give the room itself a 3/5 but everything else makes it a 5/5 loved getting a little glass of juice and a cookie in the room when we arrived!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just got back from a 2 night stay with my husband for his birthday. Was visiting Beamish and this location was excellent for a close stay. When we arrived the Inn was very busy which was encouraging. The grounds are outstanding with plenty of external seating and piped music. There were loads of animals to walk around too, it was very much like a mini farmyard, lovely. Extremely well kept gardens, veg plots etc etc. We arrived late so before we checked in we ate in the dining room. Great location, with really lovely decor and old antiquities which made it very cosy. The menu was vast and when we got the food the portions were massive. Far too much on each huge plate. Nice quality though so no complaints. The only thing I would mention was that the restaurant staff were all young people who raced around at quite a speed and laughed and joked with each other around guests, which should have been kept to a minimum. After dinner we checked into room 14. This was a lovely room overlooking the beautiful front garden. It had a regular double bed and bath with shower over. The staff had left us some water, biscuits and chocolates which was a nice touch. When we went to bed I was looking forward to a comfortable sleep. However..........this was soon disturbed by noise of other guests in the garden. The Inn is also a wedding venue and although beautiful ( we looked around the next day) not much seating around the private venue so guests move to the front of the Inn. Right under our bedrooms! Ouch! No sleep until approx 2 am. The at daybreak, approx 4am the roosters started crowing cockadoodledo for hours. Needless to say no sleep again. Breakfast was to 9.30am which was also in the dining room. I did not have a pleasant experience as not much choice, unless you love a full English fried breakfast, which I don't. The staff was very limited for breakfast and none of our dirty plates were cleared away. We had to ask for tea and coffee as we had been overlooked, and attention to detail was poor, very different to the evening before. The second nights sleep was disturbed again by late night wedding guests, then early morning 5am arguing males swearing and carrying on just under our bedroom window, then again the morning alarm of our cockerels.

Overall, the place is special, beautiful grounds and nice food, but if you stay the night please try to stay in a quiet room away from the front of the building. Would I go again? Yes for a drink and dinner, no for accommodation.

Room Tip: Court yard rooms are quieter but more expensive
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stumbled across South Causey after moving to the area and needing a new riding school, and I am certainly glad I did. We now go a couple of times a month for Sunday Carvery. It is always worth a trip out there, as there is something for everyone. The kids can enjoy a free pony ride, my partner has a great meal, and I have a lovely selection of wine to choose from.

We always eat at the Carvery due to having an impatient small child, so I cannot comment on their table service. But I could not be happier with the Carvery. It is reasonably priced, and amazing quality. I would pay more for the quality of the food. The portion sizes are incredibly generous, if I thought I could get away with ordering a child's, I would.

I would advise anyone who is in the area to make the trip. It is our 'go to' place if we have visitors as we know that most people will love it,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Had a lovely meal at the south Causey Inn. If you fancy the mixed grill under no circumstances get a starter !!!! The location is superb as well as the interior setting. The rooms look really good and the Christmas fayre menu looks great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed the night for our 10th Wedding Anniversry. Room 18 lovely has our own garden and bonus weather was good. Room was big enough lovely comfortable bed, bathroom had jacuzzi, walk in shower and TV. We decided to stay here as the restaurant has a menu for Celiacs and a vast choice. Meal was amazing the portion sizes are large so could only manage a main meal. Room really quiet and we had a great nights sleep. Went for breakfast and the food again was excellent, I asked for an omelette and they were happy to cook me one. Lovely stay and would go back as would like to try the house riding and archery that you can do on you stay.

Room Tip: Room 18 was quiet and had its own garden
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Sorry for the belated review. .
we were struggling to find the perfect venue for our wedding. so wish we had started looking here first. .. from our first contact with the south causey everything was superb. very attentive from the start. we didn't have to worry about a thing. we choose the platinum package, which for what you get is exceptional value. They make it so smooth and virtually stess free... If a wedding can be? on the day everything was superb. ... The most fantastic day. from first arriving and the canapés and bubbly, then into the main room, which was beautiful. the food was absolutely superb. . The lady who lead us through the day was very attentive and helped everything run so smoothly. After having a fantastic wedding breakfast came the evening celebrations. again a fantastic time.... thank you so much for helping us make our day so special. Andy and Mandie..

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Stanley
Oak Tree Inn
Oak Tree Inn
#6 of 6 in Stanley

Been to South Causey Inn? Share your experiences!