“A great Course - now totally ruined”

Axe Cliff Golf and Country Club
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ever wondered what it is like to play on a British Open type Links Course. Well Axe Cliff can give you that feel. With spectacular views of the Jurassic Coast, Axe Cliff is a Little Gem in East Devon. A challenging course with gorse grass if you hit wayward shots, but enjoyable if you manage your game just like the professionals. Many feature holes will make you want to play them again and again. Love or hate Links courses, Axe Cliff is here to please.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Seaton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great Course - now totally ruined”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

What a shame that this good golf course has been neglected and can now only be described as poor. Lack of grass cutting, some fairways seem to be the same length as the first cut, tees with long grass, and cut grass lying all around the course.
The mens changing room is tatty, the toilet area needs complete refurbishment, although some attempt has been made to improve the showers.
The clubhouse is dated, although the staff are helpful and pleasant. Didn't try the food although looking at what was presented to other members, I think it was a good decision.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Daydreamer1946

Seaton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely views wasted”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Played golf on a course in poor condition
Spent hours looking for balls in grass that had been cut but not picked up.
Food very limited and Mickey Mouse with long wait.
Surroundings grubby - more like a lorry cafe.

Visited July 2014
Andover, United Kingdom
“Friendly and fun”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A picturesque course with some challenging holes (Im a high handicap player) the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the members were helpful on the course as sometimes its difficult to know what line to play

Visited June 2014
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“A cross between orienteering, mountain climbing, hiking and golf. ”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Okay, so I come to at the course with my game in quite good shape (12 hcp) and feeling fit and well. I accept that if you hit bad shots off the tee, or indeed the fairways that you are suitably punished and your next shot is made more difficult. However, at Axe Cliff you are better being a lucky player than a decent player it seems.
The climb from clubhouse to the first tee left me gasping for breath and the backs of my legs wobbling. Certainly the majority of the first 9 holes you are hiking up steep hills and hitting blind tee shots towards markers posts. However, on nearly every occasion I hit either right over or certainly very near to the markers only to arrive at the crest of the hill and not see my ball anywhere!! Hideously sloping fairways drag your good shots into unfairly penal rough. Worse still to follow.... The rough has been cut using mowers that don't collect the grass, thus leaving trails of cut grass everywhere for your ball to hide under. At least an hour of our round was spent looking for balls which both my playing partner and I struck well and straight. Certainly balls you would easily find on most courses. 4.5 hours to complete a sub 6000 yard course whilst the course is quiet/nearly empty is an absolute joke.
In trying to offer a fair and balanced review as always I will say that there are a few nice holes and the views are spectacular in places. Green fees are lower than most courses within 30 miles, but just be prepared for the most frustrating round of golf where you walk up very steep inclines, can't see where your tee shots are going and then spend ages looking for your ball. Personally, I doubt I'll be back.

1 Thank MatthewCull
London, United Kingdom
“Great value - great golf - great heavens !!”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We played the course on May 23rd. 2013
A very warm welcome at the clubhouse - and excellent lunch washed down with an excellent pint - green fee paid and the enquiry ' is the course very hilly?' was met with a non-commital 'not really'.

We then fought our way up a one in seven incline to the first tee and the round began. The course was in excellent condition - and I'm sure that if I was a regular here, after a few rounds I'd be in excellent condition too. Honesty compels me to add that after the first six 'not really hilly' holes we headed for the more open level parkland delights of the cliff top section of the course.

The hurricane hit us on the 16th - not a hole to mess with in sunny calm weather - let alone in a 50mph cross wind - but hey - power fades and subtle draws are meat and drink to 23 handicappers like us - and the front (with all its occlusions) passed through in less than 10 mins and we were playing the last two holes in sunshine.

We both loved the course and want to play it again - It's quirky - full of surprises - plenty of risk/reward options for any standard of golf. Some of the views are stunning! This is a gem.

Visited May 2013