“Experienced all, and loved all” 5 of 5 bubbles

Axe Cliff Golf and Country Club
Ranked #10 of 20 things to do in Seaton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ever wondered what it is like to play on a British Open type Links Course. Well Axe Cliff can give you that feel. With spectacular views of the Jurassic Coast, Axe Cliff is a Little Gem in East Devon. A challenging course with gorse grass if you hit wayward shots, but enjoyable if you manage your game just like the professionals. Many feature holes will make you want to play them again and again. Love or hate Links courses, Axe Cliff is here to please.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
A TripAdvisor Member
“Experienced all, and loved all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not a great golfer and neither is my partner but over the last 2 years we have sporadically come to Devon and always popped in, had a game and eaten in the clubhouse- we've even stayed in the house that's on site and we have always had a lovely time.
The food for the price is great, and the service (albeit you may have to call for someone as they may be busy in the kitchen) has always been very good.
Over the last 2 years we have seen vast improvements to the clubhouse, all for the better, it was evident that a lot of money has been ploughed into the clubhouse and course, so I find it difficult to read the reviews that are negative about all aspects of the club.
Don't be put off by the bad reviews as they probably wrote it after getting out of bed the wrong side that morning, came to play and being on bad form that day got frustrated at the club and not at themselves.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Great Day of Golf”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

First time I have played this course and found the Staff very friendly, found the course to be challenging especially on the 15th and 16th holes with the rain and mist coming in from the sea, had to keep my shots straight. I play off a 9 handicap and hit a 66 on the course. Would play again.

Visited August 2014
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Wonderful Day of Golf”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I'm always surprised by the 'variety' of reviews on TripAdvisor and I think that the problems with spurious reviews is well-known. Here's my position... I live in Seaton and first played Axe Cliff 22 years ago when starting my humble golf 'career'. I've not been back since but I've played in several countries and continents since and am a happy if untalented amateur off about 18. I had the time to pop back to the course last week and was very impressed: sure, I nearly had a coronary a couple of times on some of the slopes and there weren't too many pars. But as a day out it was one of the best experiences I've ever had on a golf course - yes, its a golf course, not a restaurant folks - and reading the negative reviews that seem to have (recently) appeared I cannot link these with the reality. It is what the guide says... a links course and there are probably few courses with more blind shots in the world. Normally I hate that sort of thing but on a roasting hot mid-week afternoon and with the course to myself in effect it was an absolute joy. The front nine is probably a tad harder than the back nine and the greens on the front, which lay further back from the sea, are in better condition but it was a lovely course and tremendous value. I think it must have changed over the years in terms of layout - I remembered an almost vertical par-3 that seems to have disappeared and I guess additional land has been added (?) but I came away kicking myself for not having played in more in the intervening period. The picture that has come up above shows the view from the 16th green... its pretty but the sole par-5 (somewhere around the 12th?) ends up with the most spectacular view of the lot and despite getting there in three I couldn't take my eye off the views over Lyme Bay. A real gem and a genuinely nice little golf course... please ignore my review and never visit as I'd like to keep this find to myself for the rest of the summer :-)

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Colin D
Seaton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great Course - now totally ruined”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

What a shame that this good golf course has been neglected and can now only be described as poor. Lack of grass cutting, some fairways seem to be the same length as the first cut, tees with long grass, and cut grass lying all around the course.
The mens changing room is tatty, the toilet area needs complete refurbishment, although some attempt has been made to improve the showers.
The clubhouse is dated, although the staff are helpful and pleasant. Didn't try the food although looking at what was presented to other members, I think it was a good decision.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Daydreamer1946
Seaton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely views wasted”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Played golf on a course in poor condition
Spent hours looking for balls in grass that had been cut but not picked up.
Food very limited and Mickey Mouse with long wait.
Surroundings grubby - more like a lorry cafe.

Visited July 2014