Best Abel Tasman Day trip

Book in advance
from
£183.50
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Abel Tasman Coast Track
from £183.50
from £53.83
Kayak & Walk
146 Reviews
from £92.97
More Info
All reviews bark bay low tide water taxi abel tasman great walk day hike mutton south island beautiful scenery starting point hut track awaroa anchorage beaches totaranui doc
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 February 2019

We got the awautaxi up to the top of the trail and walked over three days stopping at the lodge the 1st night and aquapackers the 2nd night. Both of which were great. The walks are really well signposted. From Bark Bay to Anchorage there is a long ascent at the beginning but you can take your time and shelter in the trees. Views spectacular

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed 2 February 2019

The track is easy to follow and very well trodden - you can't go wrong! The aquataxi services do drop-offs and collections all the way along the beach (book in advance) so you have the option of walking a few kilometres between beaches or just having a relaxing 'beach day' and not going anywhere! It's a bit steep in places but people do it with babies in buggies so if you are averagely fit you'll be fine :) It's unmissable, it really is!

1  Thank kath m
Reviewed 27 January 2019

I only did a 10 Km day trek, absolutely amazing views, easy walk, well maintained park. Lots of options

Reviewed 23 January 2019

The first time I did the Able Tasman Walk I did it with my Dad when I was 10 years old. We did it over 4 nights and had easy walking days.

This time I did it with my own baby in a backpack and my husband wore jandles.

So it is achievable for all levels of fitness.

You can either do the whole thing which is about 60km, or you can get a water taxi, or take your own boat to do sections of it as you choose.

If you choose to walk sections of it most people will walk from one bay 'over the hill' to the next bay. These distances are normally about 6km and take about 2 hours. This seems slow, but I came up with the reasoning that you are stopping all the time to take photos haha.

There are a few hills and some of them do make you breathe deeper, but all in all they arent mountains and are completely achievable.

One day that we did one days walk I even took my baby in the push chair (Mountain Buggy).

The tracks are very well maintained.

Toilets at most bays.

There are huts along the way where you can book to sleep. They often have a phone and some WiFi there!

People often do kayaking tours in the area too as it is so pretty.

It is a busy track though, so dont expect to be isolated. As it is so gorgeous, everyone wants to see it.

There is so much stunning scenery! It really has to be put on your list of places to visit and enjoy as it just so lovely.

3  Thank SD2606
Reviewed 18 January 2019

Brilliant easy track where you can option to have your bags taken for you by water taxi. No hill climb is longer than 10 minutes, walks are super easy and the swimming is delicious!

2  Thank spiritlevel_10