“A mixed bag.... plus dead flies in the restaurant !”
Review of Awaroa Lodge

Awaroa Lodge
“A mixed bag.... plus dead flies in the restaurant !”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I'm in two minds about this place.

Let's get the positives out the way first :
- Great location
- Friendly staff
- Comfortable rooms

Unfortunately its let down on delivery:
- It suffers from the Pepper's problem of "everything extra" and overpriced under-quality food.

Normally, the above would have equaled a distinctly average "meh" from me, and a 3 point rating here on TA.

However, I've marked it as Poor due to one, absolutely unforgivable reason.....

The terrible cleanliness of the food service area.

The resort was not busy by any means, I was given a nice enough table on for dinner on the first night. I noticed two dead flies on the end of the table by the window. I made a mental note....

At breakfast the next morning, I was invited to pick a table since the restaurant was largely empty apart from one other table. I purposefully picked the same table. Again, I had the company of the same two flies for breakfast, their position exactly the same !

I thought fine, I'll give them one more chance. I opted for the same table at dinner again. And yes, you've guessed it, the same company present ... two flies, position unchanged, plus one more buzzing as it was perishing on its back.

Alright I thought, maybe I've just been unlucky. So I picked a different table for breakfast, in a different room, the covered conservatory area. No windowsills in this area, but plenty of dead insects at floor level.

If this was the state of visible cleanliness, I dread to think what other areas were like. Infact, if I had any choice, I would have not dined there beyond the first night, but unfortunately there's not much choice given the location !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John1450
Suzanne W, General Manager at Awaroa Lodge, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Kia Ora,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit with us at Peppers Awaroa Lodge.

I was please to read that you found our rooms comfortable and the staff friendly during your stay.
I was most disappointed to read that you were let down by the cleanliness of the restaurant. We live in a bush environment and as such have to deal with a number of challenges including managing pests and insects.
We do have an environmentally friendly spray that we use in the Lodge, including the restaurant, hence the number of dead flies we constantly have to pick up. It appears that we have failed to do this on this occasion and your comments have prompted a review by the team of our processes, so I thank you for highlighting this to us. We welcome all feedback as knowing what matters to our guests is very important to us.

I trust you enjoyed your visit to the Abel Tasman National Park and Peppers Awaroa Lodge and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards
Suzanne Wells

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This has to be one of the most beautiful locations in the world. Everyone must visit it to see. The food was outstanding. The setting of the lodge is amazing too. Lots to do and very relaxing. The service of the front of line staff was awful. Rooms are nice, tidy and clean.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CourtneyNZ
Suzanne W, General Manager at Awaroa Lodge, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Kia Ora Courtney,

I am pleased to read that you found the food exceptional and our rooms clean and comfortable and you had a relaxing stay.

Here at Peppers Awaroa Lodge, we pride ourselves in offering a great guest experience and to read that you found the service poor is disappointing.

Courtney, you are most welcome to contact me directly on 03528 8758, I would like your feedback regarding the service and any suggestions that you have are most welcome.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Suzanne Wells
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Our stay at Peppers Awaroa Lodge was fantastic. Nestled in the heart of the Abel Tasman National Park, there is no place like it in New Zealand. I had been to Awaroa two times before we were lucky enough to stay at the Lodge and we stayed 1 night. The staff were great - friendly and helpful. The room was great and secluded - king bed, private balcony. Both meals at the restaurant got an honest 4.5/5 which in our books is really high! If you have never been to Awaroa, let alone Abel Tasman, add it to your bucket list.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed at Awaroa Lodge just after Christmas with friends, and had such a fabulous time, that I decided to stay again for a couple of nights at Easter after walking the Abel Tasman Coastal Track during the holiday weekend.
Again I found the staff to be super friendly, and very helpful. A friendly welcome at Reception after three days hiking was a wonderful reminder of how great this place is! It was so nice to have a couple of nights at Awaroa Lodge to look forward to as I started out on the track.
This is a fabulous hideaway, with very friendly helpful staff, great facilities, and great food!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Milton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My husband and I recently walked three days on the Abel-Tasmen coast track, staying in our trusty backpacking tent most of the way, and decided to splurge on a night at Awaroa Lodge for our final night since it was near our wedding anniversary. We were there the final weekend of the season and there was only one other party staying there. We were upgraded to a superior suite, which was a fantastic open bright room with a comfortable bed, a step down to a large seating area and a and a large balcony with a comfy chaise longue and a beautiful view of the wetlands. We spent a lot of time watching the fantails flit through the air catching their dinner. I highly recommend spending the extra money for the room. They had real wood fires burning in the restaurant and in a public lounge area where we sat reading with pre-dinner cocktails. The beach is only a short walk away but don't expect a beachfront destination. The staff was all quite friendly and helpful, especially because there was some confusion with our water taxi return and they made sure to sort it out for us. We felt quite welcomed even as the the penultimate guests for the season. A great place to splurge if you're on the trail or as a base for day walks (nearly all of which are tide dependent) and kayak trips.

Room Tip: The superior suites are quiet and peaceful and have great views
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We were booked in to the lodge by our travel company and were a bit concerned about making the ferry on time as we had a long drive to get there. However the boat trip to the lodge with Wilsons was excellent and the Lodge was a magic place. Being dropped off on the beach and having your luggage collected by quad bike, leaving you to walk to the lodge, just set up a very special place. We were at the end of the season in March so it was not busy. Good accommodation and food with great views from the dining area.

Lots of opportunity to for walking (as you would expect) but you do need to check the tide tables as quite a few walks involve crossing tidal beaches.

Perhaps the most memorable place we stayed in New Zealand where everywhere was pretty special.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve_SE23
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stopped in at Awaroa lodge on our second day of walking to grab a beer and some food after a long days hike. To get to the lodge you don't really add much time onto your walk and i actually think it is an easier bit of track than the skyline one which it meets up with.
We didn't get a chance to eat anything decent as we were there at the wrong time but all the snacks etc we ate were delicious.

We found it a little tricky to find at first as when you are walking from the north during low tide, the track take you off the beach and along the waters bed where a path leads off it. The path itself is unmarked but easy enough to notice as the lodge's boat was laying out front.

I wish we had the time to have spent more time there and also the money to have spent the night but we will definitely return in the future

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Fraser Highlands Retreat
Fraser Highlands Retreat
#1 of 9 in Abel Tasman National Park
Pohara Beach Top 10 Holiday Park

Been to Awaroa Lodge? Share your experiences!