I'm in two minds about this place.
Let's get the positives out the way first :
- Great location
- Friendly staff
- Comfortable rooms
Unfortunately its let down on delivery:
- It suffers from the Pepper's problem of "everything extra" and overpriced under-quality food.
Normally, the above would have equaled a distinctly average "meh" from me, and a 3 point rating here on TA.
However, I've marked it as Poor due to one, absolutely unforgivable reason.....
The terrible cleanliness of the food service area.
The resort was not busy by any means, I was given a nice enough table on for dinner on the first night. I noticed two dead flies on the end of the table by the window. I made a mental note....
At breakfast the next morning, I was invited to pick a table since the restaurant was largely empty apart from one other table. I purposefully picked the same table. Again, I had the company of the same two flies for breakfast, their position exactly the same !
I thought fine, I'll give them one more chance. I opted for the same table at dinner again. And yes, you've guessed it, the same company present ... two flies, position unchanged, plus one more buzzing as it was perishing on its back.
Alright I thought, maybe I've just been unlucky. So I picked a different table for breakfast, in a different room, the covered conservatory area. No windowsills in this area, but plenty of dead insects at floor level.
If this was the state of visible cleanliness, I dread to think what other areas were like. Infact, if I had any choice, I would have not dined there beyond the first night, but unfortunately there's not much choice given the location !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Awaroa Lodge in the heart of the Abel Tasman National Park has no direct road access so it is essential you arrange transport prior to your stay; our friendly Lodge team can assist you with options, pricing and bookings. Transport is available from Kaiteriteri, Marahau or Totaranui by sea shuttle or water taxi or from more or less anywhere else at the top of the south (or Wellington) by fixed wing plane or helicopter. Just minutes from the Abel Tasman Coastal Track, the lodge offers a remote and spectacular coastline with magnificent scenery, wildlife and native terrain in pristine condition. The lodge 's 26 rooms consist of standard, superior and family suites featuring an ensuite, bar fridge and tea and coffee making facilities, with views of picturesque wetlands and native forest. All guests are encouraged to appreciate the natural surroundings. We make this a little easier without the distractions of modern day life - no mobile phone coverage or in-room televisions make this the perfect place to totally get away! Enjoy the lodge's facilities including a cosy fireplace in the library, internet access, an organic garden , where our onsite restaurant and outdoor pizzeria source the freshest ingredients. Let our team at the activity desk arrange your guided tours. Explore the natural surroundings by tramping or sea kayaking or just laze on the golden sandy beaches of Awaroa Bay. Awaroa Lodge is the ultimate secluded getaway perfect for a romantic escape, family holiday or unique group experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK) and Priceline so you can book your Awaroa Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Awaroa Hotel Abel Tasman National Park
- Awaroa Hotel Nelson