“Pleasant lunch”

The Barge Inn
Price range: US$12 - US$28
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A fantastic 300 year old Inn, full of character. A selection of Cask conditioned Ales, premium lagers and wide selection of wines. We serve only freshly prepared food, our menu is changed seasonally, classic pub dishes are served all year round. Good old fashioned Sunday Roast from £11.95 Serving breakfast from 10am every day.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Met up with our daughter and her husband for a browse of the antiques outlets before stopping for lunch. The pub was busy but the manager found us a table for five and we enjoyed an excellent light lunch. I had a slight problem with one of the cask ales but this was quickly resolved. The food was freshly prepared and well presented by the very helpful and efficient staff. I particularly appreciated being asked that everything was satisfactory - which it was! Contrary to other customers' experiences, we were very impressed with the selection of drinks available, the food quality and the service. The young manager seemed very much on the ball and combined a supervisory role with hands-on assistance when required.

1  Thank MacChelmsford

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We had a quick impromptu lunch here on Sunday - and I have to say how impressed we were at the quality of food and the service. Half of us had a roast and we had sandwiches. All of it was great, tasty and was served really quickly - I'm really confused at some of the other comments on here as the staff that served us were very friendly! Highly recommended and looking forward to coming back!

1  Thank Willagej
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was not our first visit to The Barge, however, may be our last for the foreseeable future. First and foremost, the waiting time was unacceptable. Two tables around us complained; one for the time to receive their starters and the second table got up and left because they'd waited 45 minutes just to have their order taken, only for it to be lost!

Our party was a table of 6......My Mum and Dad (it was my Dad's birthday celebration), my husband and I, along with our two boys. Having waited 20 minutes for our order to be taken, 25 minutes for our starter, my Dad then enquired as to how long our main course will take, only to be very rudely spoken to by a member of the waitress team that, in no uncertain terms, the restaurant was busy so that's just the way it is.

The food, on this occasion was average, one particular female staff member was extremely impolite and it's not a nice atmosphere to have two tables around you complaining, moaning and ultimately leaving......

A real shame......

2  Thank mrs h
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is the only place that makes Motorway service stations good value for money.
Food overpriced
Beers ( what are available ) are served at an unacceptable temperature.
The only good thing about this pub is the staff

3  Thank disgusted d
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Having enjoyed browsing the antiques with my employer (a man of 25 who is mentally disabled) we decided to call in at the Barge for a drink. We asked for an orange juice for myself and a weak half of lager shandy for my employer. Having poured the drinks the waittress asked who the shandy was for. Told her that it was for my employer. She then stated "I need I.D" I explained that I was his carer (I am 54) and that he was 25 . She said " I need to see his driving licence" in a loud voice. While we were looking for his I.D she said " it has to be a driving licence" At this point I decided to leave as felt so humiliated! Not all disabled people have a driving licence! Will not be going back.

3  Thank Shelley C