We stayed for 6 nights at Kunnola Beach House over the Christmas 2012 period. I’ll start with the good things.
- The location is remarkable. Nestled in a coconut palm grove in amongst an Indian village it gave a real flavour of authentic Indian life
- The beach is stupendous, especially Kizhunna beach which is a few hundred meters up from Kunnola Beach House
Unfortunately there were more things that we weren’t too impressed with.
- Our room was small, dark and dingy. The photo’s on the website for the ground floor room we stayed in was not representative of the room we stayed in. This was exacerbated by the fact that room wasn’t cleaned, or sheets or towels changed during our 6 day stay, which was disappointing.
- The website showed pictures of hammocks strung between coconut palms. Unfortunately these hammocks were no-where to be seen.
- There’s a bit of a problem with rubbish in the area. A little bit of effort to clean up the worst of this would make the surrounding area much nicer and add to the enjoyment of the stay.
- The food was bland and a bit disappointing, especially after hearing so much about how good Keralan cuisine was. There were a lot of family’s staying with young children and I can’t help but think that the food was generally toned down to for both a child’s and a Westerners palate. It would have been nice to have at least one dish served with each meal that was a bit spicier!
- There is no communal area to sit and have conversations with other guests after dinner. We felt guilty staying up beyond 9pm in the dining area as the people who run the homestay started to turn off the lights and lock doors.
- There was never enough beer available to supply all guests with a couple of drinks at dinner time. On more than one occasion the beers ran out early in the evening before dinner started.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay as the glorious beach mitigated most of the negatives for us, but the issues that we’ve highlighted were enough to take the edge off our visit and rate our stay as average.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kunnola Beach House is a traditional Kerala house situated in a tranquil little beach village on the secluded Kizhunna Ezhara beach in Kannur, Kerala. Nestled in a coconut grove next to one of the least explored and beautiful beaches in Kerala, Kunnola is the ideal place to relax and unwind amidst nature, surrounded by coconut trees, the golden beach and the blue waters of the Arabian Sea. The perfect place for sun, sand and solitude! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Kunnola Beach House Kerala Kannur