“Our best stay in Kerala”
Review of Kannur Beach House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kannur
Kannur Beach House
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Kannur
Bangkok, Thailand
“Our best stay in Kerala”
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We had travelled around Kerala for three weeks, from Trivandrum up north. We had all kinds of accommodations from glitzy hotels to a small room with tiny windows. We simply wanted to relax, read, swim, and have good food. And Kannur Beach House gave us the most memorable experience. Rosi, Nazir, and their children are graceful host that makes you feel right at home. They went out of their way to provide us their room when we didn't like the room at another place afterwards. We happily moved back to enjoy the tranquility. Our 4 nights there were too short and we hope to be back.

This is no grandeur place but its heart is beyond luxury. Rosi & Nazir, thank you!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe_KTM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We were initially going to stay at another homestay but met someone who suggested we look at these guys' website first, and thankfully we did, staying six nights in early December. The location is stunning, with all the rooms looking out over the river mouth to the sea over the beach.

Our room was beautiful; dark antique furniture and window shutters with a high pitched ceiling and an immaculate bathroom, very comfortable with a fan and plug-in mosquito killers. We had a lovely balcony too, all in keeping with the age of the house.

The hosts Rosi, Nazir and their three children are wonderful people. Very warm and engaging, and some of our best times here were talking to them and the other guests over the incredible food we were served-truly the best we had whilst in India!

Days can be spent relaxing, wandering the deserted beaches or surrounding area, or reading in a hammock but Rosi went far beyond our expectations in organizing some wonderful trips including seeing a Theyam performance, a traditional weaving factory, a beedi factory, local martial arts and an amazing day excursion on a houseboat-much better than Alleppey!

It was the highlight of our time in India and a perfect way to unwind in the middle of our trip. We were sad to leave! Highly recommended.

With love to the family, from Paul & Amanda.X

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MondooExplorer
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2010

After a recommendation from a friend who stayed here 2 years ago I booked in to the Kannur Beach House Homestay for 2 weeks and it is one of the best holidays I have had. Several guests were wishing they'd booked in for longer as it is the sort of place that's very hard to leave.

Rosi, Nazir and family are great to spend time with, along with the other guests we had interesting and hugely varied conversation over fantastic meals. The food was amazing, over the 2 weeks stay I don't remember having the same combination of dishes twice, the variety was incredible and it was great to know a bit more about the local dishes being served (ingredients and their health properties).

Rosi and Nazir are brilliant at helping guest to make the most of their stay with arrangements from rickshaws to tailors. The homestay is in a perfect setting for getting away from the hustle and bustle of life, with walks, a canoe and abundant wildlife, I was in my element. I also spent a lot of time in a hammock listening to the rustle of the coconut palms in the warm sea breeze before or after a delicious lunch.

I’d love to go back and I’d recommend it to any of my friends, who like me enjoy the simple things in life (and who would run a mile if they arrived at a sterile marble floored hotel with no character).

Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Beth_in_Wales
Reviewed 16 December 2010

we were really enjoying this place. great guesthouse, nice beaches,good "laxed" yoga teacher and the nature around is totaly chilled. you can walk for miles, paddle down the river or just hang out in the hamock. the food was delicious, the family was totaly sweet and very helpful!stella 'n akim

ps: homegrown coffee!

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank achimbarghorn
newyork
Reviewed 19 November 2010

kannur beach house was such a nice stay. we felt just like at home. we got a warm welcoming from the owners. they are such wonderful people. the beach near by and the quite atmosphere was awsome. i'd say a very nice place to stay with your family. everyone will love the homely ambience there. you would be at peace and stressfree.
definitely going to recommend to all my family and friends to stay here.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank boo19907
Cambridge
Reviewed 9 November 2010

My husband and I stayed here for four nights and it was a very enjoyable part of our holiday in Kerala. The rooms are basic but had everything we needed - in particular, a verandah overlooking the palms and the Arabian Sea. It was a bit rough for swimming while we were there, but there were plenty of places to walk along the beach, down by the backwater and through the village to see a bit of local life. It was the end of the retreating monsoon season so there was some rain, but the instant the sun came out a breath-taking procession of tropical butterflies started flitting through the garden and the field next door. There were lots of birds, too, especially along the backwater.

The location is some way out of Kannur itself but Rosi and Nazir were extremely helpful in arranging transport - a pickup from the station, an autorickshaw to visit a weaving cooperative (very interesting) and a theyyam ceremony (one of the highlights of our trip - a wonderful experience) and a taxi to our next destination in Wayanad.

A most enjoyable part of the stay was that of meals taken at a long table with Rosi and Nazir, their very friendly and sociable teenage children and the other guests. The food was excellent and included very good local seafood and vegetable dishes (Rosi was happy to explain about the different ingredients and cooking processes) and interesting conversation with other visitors.

Rosi said she worried a bit about people having excessively high expectations after reading online reviews, but I felt no reasonable person could fail to appreciate the warm and generous-spirited hospitality offered. The accommodation is simple enough but it was a real pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
New Delhi
Reviewed 14 August 2010

For some odd reason I had painted a picture of Kannur as a small laidback town, and this very fact attracted me to pay the place a visit in June.
As the train chugged into God’s own country, the smell of new sprouts from vast paddy fields filled the compartment. Nothing can be a more delightful sight than this if you are coming from a big city.
But the excitement was soon taken away when the train reached Kannur Railway Station. Wrestling our way through the mass of locals hurrying to work in nearby towns, we emerged from the railway station to find a place quite like any other busy town.
Shops and malls rose up all over the place, and busy traffic completed the picture of a place on its way to lose its soul to “modernization”.
With a sort of disappointment in my voice I called the owner of the Kannur Beach House, who was more excited about the trip than I was.
We hired an auto-rickshaw to reach the home-stay and the friendly driver offered us a narration of the town's history.
The ricky took a sharp turn to enter a road which seemed never ending. I was so frustrated with the journey that I completely missed the sights until Lisa brought me back to reality.
The ricky had long left civilization and was negotiating curvy roads guiding us to the home-stay. My anger soon ebbed away when we reached a cliff and I could see a thick cover of coconut tress along the coast. Postcard perfect.
We paid the autorickshaw driver and were shown our rooms in the house by a quiet lady, who welcomed us with a warm smile and an open heart.
The sun hung gloriously over a tiny beach that lay squashed in the middle of the roaring sea and the gurgling river. Our weekend home overlooked this pretty sight, stark contrast to the dust and pollution of our cities.
After settling in we were soon greeted by the lovely couple Nazir and Rosi. It did not take long to feel comfortable and at ease. I have stayed in many hostels and home-stays, but what sets this place apart is the friendly nature of Nazir and his family.
One cannot write about Nazir’s place without mentioning the food. It is simple and doesn’t tickle your taste buds with too much spice.
The fresh aroma of the coconut and flavours of Kerala make you eat more than your stomach can take.
And if you are feeling bloated after savouring the coastal Kerala delights from Rosi’s kitchen, using the canoe to explore the backwaters is not a bad idea.
But I am not one of those fitness freaks and settled into one of the hammocks with a book. Trust me it’s divine, the mix of the sounds of the roaring waves and gentle flowing backwater is heavenly.
I did not even realize when I fell asleep only to be woken by Rosi for an evening cuppa. The walk on the beach is very different from other tourist hotspots in the state. You will hardly find a soul to disturb you.
As the sun went back into the clouds after a day’s hard work, we headed back to enjoy some more delicious food.
The sky had donned a beautiful blanket of stars giving us enough natural light to enjoy our drink and indulge in meaningless conversation.
Thank you Rosi and Nazir for the Kannur Beach House. I promise to return very soon.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends