“An overpriced let-down.”
Review of The Naantali Spa

The Naantali Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Naantali
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

One night stop by with the family. Very expensive compared to what you get. Standard room is almost 200 eur/night and you don't even have air conditioning (this fact was not told us when booking, I think we would have chosen another accommodation if we would have known this) and the room is overall very dated (bathroom looks almost dirty, tv from the last century). Money can buy you a decent room from the ferry, but it's > 200 eur then.

Spa consists out of three different pools, 1 big, 1 smaller and 1 outside pool + jacuzzi. Not worth the value compared to some other spas in Finland. Nothing for kids. The treatments sounded very nice, but I did not have time to try.

Breakfast is good, but nothing special. With this price you would expect somethig shiny and different, or at least coffee served to table without needing to stand in the line waiting to get to coffee machine.

At least Moomin Land and beautiful old town are close by, but next time I'll choose another accomodation. I know there are better places in Naantali.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Fijuhmon
Manager_NaantaliSpa, Executive assistant at The Naantali Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Fijuhmon,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

We have renovated many of our rooms recently and at the moment we are updating Standard-rooms. Last month we replaced all televisions in the rooms. Air conditioning we have in every rooms on yacht hotel and also in the Spa Residence building.

I am sorry to hear that your expectations weren´t totally pleased.

Hopefully I have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for The Naantali Spa

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We've visited this hotel/resort a few times now, but now it's time to write a short review.

From outside the hotel looks pretty impressive (in scale of Finnish hotels). Parking space is limited so it takes a while to find free space... Going in, the five stars in the doors look nice, but really, it's not even close. The lobby still looks nice - if you like the cruise ship interiors. The real drawback in the first impression is plastic plants - all the plants and flowers inside the hotel lobby are plastic, even during the summer season. Check-in takes a long time, but this is typical in Finland, hiring enough staff is expensive.

Location of the hotel is ok, 20 minutes walk from Naantali old town and restaurants. In the hotel there is also a few restaurants, but for example Thai Garden and Le Soleil are basically the same place, slightly different menus. But what's most annoying is that the restaurants close so early. I know, we're in Finland and here we don't do late night dinners... But as many of the guests are foreigners, it's strange that kitchen closes already at 20:30 - 22:00.

The food is ok, Thai Garden is pretty good Thai-restaurant! But the service is clumsy, and waitresses does not really know even the very basics of the wines. And when ordering wines by glass, their process is to bring full glasses that are filled somewhere in the back - in my opinion wine should be served always at the table. Small detail, but annoying...:)

Ok, the rooms.... Not much to say. Year 2013, and you still have old type of television, not LCD, really?! :) Rooms are quite old fashioned and torn - however I heard there should be some renovation been done recently. So make sure to remember request for renovated room when booking. But that's it, room quality is really three stars - maximum!

What's nice in the hotel/resort is the spa area. It's pretty clean and nice atmosphere, not really entertainment for kids and families, but for couples etc I think this works nice. Enough pool area, good saunas,.. However one really big minus is that this hotel does not provide slippers! You must go with your shoes to the spa area, or buy own slippers. Typically I've seen that slippers are provided in this kind of hotels - especially if hotel is claimed to be luxury.. So, pack your own slippers with you! :)

Bottomline is that this hotel/resort is not even close to luxury. Also the pricing is really high compared to what you get, I wouldn't even consider this accommodation without really good offer/package deal.

Room Tip: Some rooms are renovated - ask the staff when making reservation!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank juhahi
Manager_NaantaliSpa, Executive assistant at The Naantali Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Juhahi,

I appreciate you taking time to share your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I am dissapointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations.

All feedback helps us to ensure that your future experiences with us are enjoyable and seamless. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2013

The cleaness of the bathroom was not good,for the balcony,we had to ask extra for cleaning,then O.K.
I would recomend to sleep on the ship,the location is great and wonderful.
For a 5 star Hotel it is a big shame to pay extra for slippers and the towels in the spa!

Room Tip: a room on the ship with balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onkimichi

Dear Onkimichi,

Thank you for your recent stay at Naantali Spa Hotel, I appreciate your review. Our management team reviews all guest feedback in an effort to improve the guest experience.

I hope to see you again in the future, warmly welcome!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The facilities are will kept, tidy and clean. The hotel has been renovated, at least in the part where we stayed, and the deluxe rooms are comfortable, nothing to complain.

The spa is basically for adults,having no separate kids pools, waterslides etc. This did not bother our kids, who swim like fish and just enjoy water in any form. In wintertime most clients are adults, but during summer the hotel fills up with families that visit the Moomin world nearby, so the spa is crowded with kids. Which makes the lack of a kids pool seem a bit odd.

What really bothered me about the spa was not the lack of the kids pool but the chilly water in the main pools. The water was as cold as a Finnish lake in June! No surprise then that the small jaccuzzis were overcrowded. Yes, savings have to be made, but still, this is supposed to be a 5 stars spa. Even the 4 stars spas have warmer water. There could also be more showers in the ladies sauna&shower area, it was not nice to queue for a shower.

What also bothered me was the extra charge for the childrens bathrobes. This is not standard proactice in other Finnish spas, such as the Nokia Eden or Rantasipi Aulanko. It made us feel that the hotel tries to rip off all the money it can get in a very tacky and greedy way. If adults get their bathrobes to use for free, why not the children?!

The small train ride to the city as well as the food in the TK restaurant was quite expensive considering what it was worth.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Ekina76,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review here on TripAdvisor.

I am disappointed to hear that you weren´t totally pleased with your stay here. Our management team handles every review and these helps us to improve our services.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel cost per day the same like Atlantis Palm Dubai but compared to this luxurious joy factory offers nothing. The nature around is beautiful and breathtaking, no doubt - Finland is top. But Spa hotel with cold water in spa (except whirlpools), with only 2 opened and of course full restaurants, where you must wait half an hour to be seated (2 were closed with no warning or noticing), is quite bad.
Corridors looks like in hospital. Moomin story room was nice, new with also new bathroom, but drain was stinking.
Stuff in TK was so slow... I noticed 5 faces but on place was everytimes 1-2. Seating of new guests and cleaning tables after old oned was like in slow motion.
Finaly:
This is not 5*.
This is not 4* too.
This is quite good 3* on wonderful coastland near wonderful city of Naantali.

• Stayed: July 2013
Manager_NaantaliSpa, Executive assistant at The Naantali Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Jiri R,

Thank you for your recent stay at Naantali Spa Hotel and for taking time to share your comments with us here on TripAdvisor.

If all of our guests do not have a wonderful experience, we want to know how we can improve and truly deliver to our guests´ expectations.

I appreciate your review and I hope to see you here again, warmly welcome!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I have visited several times in this hotel due to several reasons. First, it is a good place if you wish to hold an international conference and you can take very high registration fees. Secondly, if you are an individual person who have no much money, it is pretty pricey. The evening buffet is almost 40 euros and room prices are practically the most expensive in the Southwest Finland. Thirdly, the spa is rather average, and even Caribia Spa in Turku is cheaper and offers more different things. If you pay yourself and you have to accommodate in Naantali, I recommend Bridget Inn instead of Naantali Spa. The breakfast buffet has plenty of choices, but if you pay yourself, it is too expensive.

I have seen two different basic rooms full of broken things and it seems to be common in this hotel that the rooms are broken. Fridges don't work; aircondition don't work; toilets are broken; WiFi works only in some rooms if works at all and rooms have no the lights in the roof. Internet-connection works mostly only at a lobby and public areas. Wen I did check-in, their receptionist was not friendly and she was very unexperienced. It affected that they tried to take the payment twice due to an unexperienced receptionist. I did a normal check-in, but the system believed that I did not arrive at all. This affected that the system believed that there was a No-Show situation where the payment will be taken automatically. They returned money and said only "sorry",. They accepted their mistake.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Riku V,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

While I am disappointed your experience fell short of expectations, I am thankful that you have shared the feedback with us as our management team reviews all guest feedback in an effort to improve the guest experience.

I hope to see you again in the future, warmly welcome!

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Naantali Spa looks good starting from their front yard. Having been here before, I had reserved a double room in the Sunborn Yacht with a balcony. It is a bit on the expensive side, but even then it is best value for your money. And yes, it was nice as it should be for 2 adults and 1 child. Only a bathtub was missing, and even for the price of the room, you still pay extra to use the slippers.

Breakfast was very good. even if crowded.

Looking at the Thai Garden prices and menus, and comparing them with the Panorama buffet meals that night, I chose the buffet. Afterwards the Thai Garden maybe would have been better choice, because the buffet was certainly overpriced. Good starters and desserts, but roasted duck breast was dry and tough, as was the pike perch. Waiters were scarce and decided to ask how we liked the meal only after they were sure we were finished.

The Spa pools and saunas are average Finnish, with very little for children, targeted mainly for older couples I think. But even an average Finnish sauna is very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Go for Sunborn with balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HarriHirvela
Manager_NaantaliSpa, Executive assistant at The Naantali Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Harri H,

Thank you for your recent stay at Naantali Spa Hotel and for taking the time to share your ecperience with us here on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to hear that you have chosen us also before and that you liked your room in the Sunborn Yacht. We have also few rooms with bathtub you should ask about those next time you make reservation to us.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with buffet. Feedback helps us to know if we´re meeting all our guests´ expectations, so we will be sure to make note of your experiences.

Warmly welcome back again!

Annika Tuominen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Naantali
Ruissalo Spa Hotel
#2 of 17 in Turku
Naantalin Perhehotelli
Naantalin Perhehotelli
#7 of 9 in Naantali

Been to The Naantali Spa? Share your experiences!