“Good pools, big but outdated rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Naantali Spa

The Naantali Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Naantali
“Good pools, big but outdated rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Being here twice I see that is a nice place to stay, specially in high season as later Naantali is deserted.
The hotel is huge and the rooms also big but overall outdated. Specially the bathrooms as we paid for a "luxury" room but having no tub. I don't remember if it's the same in the yacht as we were this first time one year ago.
The pools are great.
I remember acceptable quality from the thai restaurant.
Prices also balanced as I think they know they are not now in the best conditions.
I've been at ghe

• Stayed September 2013
Manager_NaantaliSpa, Executive assistant at The Naantali Spa, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Dear Creudelsud,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent travel experience with us here on TripAdvisor.

It is nice to hear that you liked pools. We renovate our rooms constantly and we have recently made many improvements in the main building´s rooms.

I hope your travels will bring you back to Naantali and we´ll have the opportunity to have you stay with us again. Warmly welcome!

Best regards,
Annika Tuominen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Kungsbacka, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I do not understand, how this hotel, Naantalin Kylpylä should have five stars. Everything is very basic, just like Cumulus, Scandic, or other three to four star hotels in Scandinavia. Stating to the five stars is misleading and causes wrong expectations. The hotel is clean and functional, but absolutely nothing I experienced during my stay could have possibly given me the idea that I was staying in a five star hotel. I had booked a renovated room. Although nothing spectacular, but rather newly refurbished and functional. At check inn I asked for a nice and quiet room. I got one overlooking the parking place and the smokers corner next to the hotel entrance. The room was clean and the bed was comfy. At night there was loud music from the bar. Getting to sleep was only possible with ear plugs.
I had a busy week end planned so I did not worry about the facilities at the hotel too much. I did have an hour to check out the spa. An hour is more than enough for what is offered. There is one sauna, one steam room, a hot tub and a pool. Most swimming halls and my gym are more of a spa than this. There are no aromatic saunas, no ice or salt cave, no quiet place to have a rest. The pool bar offers mostly alcoholic beverages, no fresh juices or fresh tea. No towels are provided in the spa, you need to bring towels from your room or you can rent them for 3 Euros each. I did not have time or interest to have a spa treatment. There are some offered, but the area they are done looks more like a corridor in an office building, or a clinic than a spa.
The breakfast was the biggest disappointment! There is nobody at the door, everybody just walks around the breakfast room, looking what table looks like it might be free. There are no newspapers. The tables aren't really cleaned up, so that by 8 o'clock it looks like if most tables are taken. The breakfast is buffet and very basic. Even things that are usually offered in scandinavian hotels are not available. No salmon, it is not possible to get anything freshly made. No egg dishes, there are only some boiled eggs and scrambled eggs made of flower. A filtered coffee and tea bags are the only hot beverages.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room facing the baltic sea!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Manager_NaantaliSpa, Executive assistant at The Naantali Spa, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear Amenemhat,

Thank you for your recent stay at Naantali Spa Hotel and for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience at our hotel.

I am sorry to learn that some of your experiences were not what we would expect for our guests. I will share your review with our management team and we will do the best to improve the guest experience.

Warmly welcome back again!

Warmest regards,
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Very impressive lobby,they try to give the impression of a vegas style spa and entertainment experience.
Rooms are old fashioned although large,bathrooms have seen better days as well.
No airconditioning but at least the door to the balcony can be left open for air.
The spa was also disapointing with my wife suffering from a dispassionate and cold classic massage from a heartless male masseuse - full lights,no soft music or candles and he even wore gloves for heavens sake! Talk about impersonal service
The lunch buffet was excellent and good valu for money but the reakfast buffet was crowded and show the strain of overcrowding.
Upon check out no one bothered to ask whether we enjoyed ourselves,or if our stay was to our satisfaction...
All in all,a disapointing experience for the hefty sums they charge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Omri L,

Thank you for your recent stay at Naantali Spa Hotel and for taking the time to share your review with us.

I am sorry to hear that your expectations weren´t totally pleased. If all of our guests do not have a wonderful experience, we want to know how we can improve and truly deliver to our guests´ expectations. Our management team reviews all guest feedback in an effort to improve the guest experience.

We renovate our rooms all the time, at the moment we are updating Standard-rooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon, warmly welcome!

Kind regards,
Pirkkala, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

One night stop by with the family. Very expensive compared to what you get. Standard room is almost 200 eur/night and you don't even have air conditioning (this fact was not told us when booking, I think we would have chosen another accommodation if we would have known this) and the room is overall very dated (bathroom looks almost dirty, tv from the last century). Money can buy you a decent room from the ferry, but it's > 200 eur then.

Spa consists out of three different pools, 1 big, 1 smaller and 1 outside pool + jacuzzi. Not worth the value compared to some other spas in Finland. Nothing for kids. The treatments sounded very nice, but I did not have time to try.

Breakfast is good, but nothing special. With this price you would expect somethig shiny and different, or at least coffee served to table without needing to stand in the line waiting to get to coffee machine.

At least Moomin Land and beautiful old town are close by, but next time I'll choose another accomodation. I know there are better places in Naantali.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Fijuhmon
Dear Fijuhmon,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

We have renovated many of our rooms recently and at the moment we are updating Standard-rooms. Last month we replaced all televisions in the rooms. Air conditioning we have in every rooms on yacht hotel and also in the Spa Residence building.

I am sorry to hear that your expectations weren´t totally pleased.

Hopefully I have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Warm regards,
Annika Tuominen

Travellers are raving about these Naantali hotels

Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We've visited this hotel/resort a few times now, but now it's time to write a short review.

From outside the hotel looks pretty impressive (in scale of Finnish hotels). Parking space is limited so it takes a while to find free space... Going in, the five stars in the doors look nice, but really, it's not even close. The lobby still looks nice - if you like the cruise ship interiors. The real drawback in the first impression is plastic plants - all the plants and flowers inside the hotel lobby are plastic, even during the summer season. Check-in takes a long time, but this is typical in Finland, hiring enough staff is expensive.

Location of the hotel is ok, 20 minutes walk from Naantali old town and restaurants. In the hotel there is also a few restaurants, but for example Thai Garden and Le Soleil are basically the same place, slightly different menus. But what's most annoying is that the restaurants close so early. I know, we're in Finland and here we don't do late night dinners... But as many of the guests are foreigners, it's strange that kitchen closes already at 20:30 - 22:00.

The food is ok, Thai Garden is pretty good Thai-restaurant! But the service is clumsy, and waitresses does not really know even the very basics of the wines. And when ordering wines by glass, their process is to bring full glasses that are filled somewhere in the back - in my opinion wine should be served always at the table. Small detail, but annoying...:)

Ok, the rooms.... Not much to say. Year 2013, and you still have old type of television, not LCD, really?! :) Rooms are quite old fashioned and torn - however I heard there should be some renovation been done recently. So make sure to remember request for renovated room when booking. But that's it, room quality is really three stars - maximum!

What's nice in the hotel/resort is the spa area. It's pretty clean and nice atmosphere, not really entertainment for kids and families, but for couples etc I think this works nice. Enough pool area, good saunas,.. However one really big minus is that this hotel does not provide slippers! You must go with your shoes to the spa area, or buy own slippers. Typically I've seen that slippers are provided in this kind of hotels - especially if hotel is claimed to be luxury.. So, pack your own slippers with you! :)

Bottomline is that this hotel/resort is not even close to luxury. Also the pricing is really high compared to what you get, I wouldn't even consider this accommodation without really good offer/package deal.

Room Tip: Some rooms are renovated - ask the staff when making reservation!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank juhahi
Manager_NaantaliSpa, Executive assistant at The Naantali Spa, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Juhahi,

I appreciate you taking time to share your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I am dissapointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations.

All feedback helps us to ensure that your future experiences with us are enjoyable and seamless. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Warm regards,
Vienna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

The cleaness of the bathroom was not good,for the balcony,we had to ask extra for cleaning,then O.K.
I would recomend to sleep on the ship,the location is great and wonderful.
For a 5 star Hotel it is a big shame to pay extra for slippers and the towels in the spa!

Room Tip: a room on the ship with balcony
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank onkimichi
Dear Onkimichi,

Thank you for your recent stay at Naantali Spa Hotel, I appreciate your review. Our management team reviews all guest feedback in an effort to improve the guest experience.

I hope to see you again in the future, warmly welcome!

Best regards,
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

The facilities are will kept, tidy and clean. The hotel has been renovated, at least in the part where we stayed, and the deluxe rooms are comfortable, nothing to complain.

The spa is basically for adults,having no separate kids pools, waterslides etc. This did not bother our kids, who swim like fish and just enjoy water in any form. In wintertime most clients are adults, but during summer the hotel fills up with families that visit the Moomin world nearby, so the spa is crowded with kids. Which makes the lack of a kids pool seem a bit odd.

What really bothered me about the spa was not the lack of the kids pool but the chilly water in the main pools. The water was as cold as a Finnish lake in June! No surprise then that the small jaccuzzis were overcrowded. Yes, savings have to be made, but still, this is supposed to be a 5 stars spa. Even the 4 stars spas have warmer water. There could also be more showers in the ladies sauna&shower area, it was not nice to queue for a shower.

What also bothered me was the extra charge for the childrens bathrobes. This is not standard proactice in other Finnish spas, such as the Nokia Eden or Rantasipi Aulanko. It made us feel that the hotel tries to rip off all the money it can get in a very tacky and greedy way. If adults get their bathrobes to use for free, why not the children?!

The small train ride to the city as well as the food in the TK restaurant was quite expensive considering what it was worth.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Ekina76,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review here on TripAdvisor.

I am disappointed to hear that you weren´t totally pleased with your stay here. Our management team handles every review and these helps us to improve our services.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Kind regards,
Annika Tuominen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naantali
Ruissalo Spa Hotel
#3 of 17 in Turku
Cumulus Turku Hotel
Cumulus Turku Hotel
#9 of 17 in Turku

Been to The Naantali Spa? Share your experiences!