“Just OK”

De Vere Cranage Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cranage
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed one night at Cranage Hall Hotel as I was attending a party in the hotel, some distance from my home, which finished at 1 am. The hotel, part of the Principal-Hayley chain, specialises in conferences, corporate events and large functions. It is well-known as a wedding venue.

The hotel, set in extensive grounds and surrounded by beautiful Cheshire countryside, has an impressive facade, approached by a sweeping driveway. It is an imposing early 19th century former private mansion, now Grade II listed.

On arrival, at about 4pm, on a very cold and snowy day, check-in was friendly and efficient. I was informed that, as a guest, I could use the leisure facilities, including the pool. As I hadn't eaten so far that day I asked if I could get a sandwich or afternoon tea. Without hesitation, I was told that the Tempus Bar would serve me from the Bar menu.

I went to my room first, to unpack. My way took me through a lovely sitting-room/library, which was being warmed by a lively fire - very welcoming on such a chilly day. The rooms at the front of the hotel are part of the original house. The greater part of the hotel is in a very large rear extension, which does not reflect the character of the old house at all but has all the bland anonymity of any corporate hotel, anywhere.

My double room was very clean and equipped with everything one would expect: towels, toiletries, kettle, tea, coffee and biscuits, hairdryer and TV. The curtains blotted out daylight very effectively and the thick padded bedspread looked warm. Again, though, the contrast between the old house and the new part was stark and the room felt so impersonal.

I made my way to the Tempus Bar, which wasn't "open" and looked it, with cleaning cloths left on the bar, although there was no reluctance to serve me. I was given the light meals/snacks menu. There wasn't the option of afternoon tea, so I chose a wild boar and chorizo burger, which called for a glass of wine. The bar was opened readily in order to serve me. As I was out on a treat, I had a glass of champagne, whilst I waited for my food. There was large screen TV in the bar, tuned to Sky Sports, showing cricket: South Africa and New Zealand playing in a One Day International. The serving staff did offer to turn the TV off but I am a cricket fan, so I asked for it to be left on. I made myself comfortable in an informal seating area, to sip champagne and watch cricket. Bliss! The champagne had plenty of sparkle, was dry and nutty, with that subtle hint of saltiness which only champagne has.

My burger was delicious! The patty thick and juicy, well-seasoned, with a discernible gamyness from the meat and just enough heat from the spicy sausage. The reasonable bun had some resistance and "chew" in the crumb - a refreshing lack of flabbiness. The burger was served with side salad and a little bucket of hot, crisp potato wedges. I left nothing! Having finished my aperitif, I had a glass of very good cabernet sauvignon with the burger - the wine served at the perfect temperature.

I went back to my room then, to relax with a cup of tea, before showering and changing for the evening party. The hot tap on the handbasin had been trickling continuously, since I arrived, more than a drip. It couldn't be turned off. I wondered why the cleaners had not reported it for maintenance.

Late to bed after the party! The bed was very comfortable and I slept well.

Breakfast was a disappointment. The hotel was busy - quite a number of guests had stayed overnight from the party I attended, and a wedding the day before. Additionally, the Manchester City football team had used the hotel for their pre-match accommodation, en route to a fixture in the Potteries. The Tempus Bar wasn't open for breakfast (block booked for Man City?), so alternative breakfast service had been set up in one of the conference rooms. This wasn't well-organised. The large room felt cold (there was still thick snow, outside), not helped by the great expanses of bland, off-white walls. The quality of the food on offer was poor for the price of the hotel. Indifferent mass-produced sliced bread was offered for toasting. The croissants looked flabby. Butter and preserves were in plastic-packed portions. The orange juice I had tasted weak, as if watered-down. There was a very limited choice of cereals. A selection of fresh, dried and tinned fruits was available - I had apricots and prunes with yoghurt, which I enjoyed. I wasn't able to get a full English breakfast, as at no time were all the items available together. There wasn't enough hot food for the numbers dining. Fresh supplies were brought regularly, but not altogether, so if there was hot bacon, there were no mushrooms, and so on. The eggs looked so unappetising, I didn't have any. The fried eggs were woefully underdone, the yolks ringed with a thick circle of raw white, whereas the scrambled egg looked as dry as crumbled polystyrene packaging material. Pots of tea or coffee were brought to the table by a waitress, to individual order. My coffee tasted somewhat "stewed" and wasn't hot.

After breakfast, I returned to my room to pack. Checkout was straightforward. I reported the running tap.

To sum up: a dramatic entrance, lovely reception area, comfortable but soulless corporate accommodation, an excellent late lunch but a very disappointing breakfast. Overall, a hotel which doesn't come up to expectations: average.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

just ok is not good enough so many apologies. The hotel was been used for private use by the football party and the wedding party hence the change to are normal dining arrangements.
kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed 11 April 2013

It was with some trepidation that I booked for us & some friends to stay at Cranage Hall this week. I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor and was aware of various issues that others had raised. The offer I wanted to use was with Travel zoo & I have always had fab stays whenever I had booked on their recommendations so I rang Cranage Hall. The lady I spoke to was very honest, knew exactly what I was talking about and was immensely helpful. I explained I was travelling with a young child, didn't want a noisy room etc etc. It was no trouble she said & she also explained the hotel was doing all it could to address issues raised. We duly arrived this week and were really impressed. The building is very nice, the public areas stylish & elegant, the bedrooms (we stayed in 164) comfortable and clean. We were greeted by Amy in Reception who was delightful, she was chatty, friendly, and nothing was any trouble. The Travel zoo offer included wine in our room & there was a lovely bottle of red & two glasses & a handwritten note saying if we wanted white, and it chilled etc just to pop to the bar. We did & in fact ended up with the chilled bottle appearing on our table so we could have it with our very delicious dinner that evening. The bar staff were polite, well groomed and helpful, not fazed by our children or the huge numbers of corporate staff that were there with several conferences during our stay. The food was excellent value and quality and the staff in the restaurant extremely competent and pleasant. The bedroom was a bit outdated but very clean, comfortable & large. I suspect there is a revamp programme on the go at Cranage Hall & maybe some rooms have been 'done' and others are awaiting the changes but there certainly weren't any of the horrors I had read about. As for the noisy quad & smoking etc the hotel had put up notices about this and these explained that those areas were not to be used after certain times etc, which I think is fair. I felt the hotel catered for the family market, with good children's menus, and a jolly attitude throughout, and for the business market - there were certainly many business travellers there when we stayed. We couldn't use the pool or leisure facilities with children through the week, but that was explained when I booked so again that was fair enough. We enjoyed it and would happily stay again. I think the hotel is addressing its issues & moving on - good for them.

Room Tip: We were next to a door to the car park which people banged whilst leaving from 6am! Maybe not next...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thank you for a very constructive review and so pleased you have enjoyed your stay. I have also passed on your kind comments to Amy and the team.

Kind regards
Richard Morrell

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Booked in last minute @ 10pm with my 8 year old son. Requested a late checkout of 12noon so we could go swimming in the Morning, this was not a problem. My son even drew the receptionist a picture of a swimming pool and wrote nice pool to which I replied " we'll find out in the morning". She failed to mention that children are not allowed in the pool in the morning and can only swim between 2 - 3 pm, this during the Easter holidays as well. We found out we could not swim when we arrived at the leisure club. My son was so disappointed, not acceptable. When I spoke to a deputy manager he was very apologetic but could not do anything. The same girl was on reception, she did not apologise just said "I'm sure I told you last night". No, I don't think so or why would we have asked for a late checkout!!! And talked about swimming!! Such a shame :(

• Stayed: April 2013

So sorry for the poor communication and will call you direct to restore your faith in Cranage Hall
many apologies Richard Morrell General Manager

Reviewed 9 April 2013

March 30th saw my daughter get married. The venue Cranage Hall. My wife and I spent two wonderful nights there. We arrived on the Friday, late afternoon to prepare for the "Great Day".
The staff where amazing, nothing was too much trouble and they where all a great assistance to us as we had brought in loads of "set dressings" for the Ceremony and Reception rooms.
The food was really great and after the ceremony which took place at Cranage, the evening "Do" went down really well.
Anyone thinking of getting married? Cranage Hall is the place.
In fact, it is an ideal place for a week-end break.
Finally, if you book well in advance, you will get a fantastic deal!

Room Tip: Located where it is, in I think its own 26 acres, there are no noisey rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a great endorsement as a great wedding venue, so pleased the day was so memorable. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager

Reviewed 9 April 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a night at this hotel.Whilst the hotel is far from bad it didn't really sparkle for us either.
The old building and grounds are beautiful the newer part lacks character and seems very geared up for the conference market.
That said our room was clean and the view was good.
We had a bottle of wine in our room on arrival with a note to say to ring the bar if we wanted to change to white. Despite several calls we could not get through to the bar and resorted to taking the bottle to change direct to them. The bar was very busy only one person serving and we waited a further 15 minutes before being served. We were not offered a wine cooler which would have been nice.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening.The food was delicious and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Service was OK.
Breakfast offered a good choice but we went at 8.30 which meant there was no brown bread left no hash browns. We also noted that many tables were empty but had not been cleared not really a nice environment in which to eat .
The leisure centre was typical of any hotel really pool steam room jacuzzi all clean and well maintained helpful staff member on reception there too.
Overall I wouldn't say this was a bad hotel but some basic things could improve it greatly.
Would we stay again? Probably not.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

A really nice place to stay, my room was large and comfortable. I thought the food was excellent especially the evening meal. The only low point was returning to my room to find the maid washing the mugs with the same cloth she cleaned the bathroom with! There were two weddings going on, both very tasteful and not intrusive. The local village is charming. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you for a positve review and so pleased you enjoyed your stay and of course the great food in Tempus restaurant. Sorry to read the comment regarding the maid, we take our hygiene practices very seriously and have raised this with the team. Look forward to welcoming you back soon Richard Morrell General Manager Cranage Hall

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have just got back from a two night Travelzoo break to Cranage Hall , after reading some negative reviews we were a little anxious about what we would find. Our concerns were without foundation though as we really enjoyed our stay.
We had asked for quiet rooms in case one of the infamous 'weddings' were on (which there was but more later) and we were given rooms 108 (ours ) and 108 (our friends) , The rooms were very clean and the bed was excellent , As said before we could probably have done with more milk for the beverages provided but a quick visit to the bar sorted that ,Shower was v.good bath a little small .
The location of these rooms were ideal for the resturant and the bar lounge and a smoking area , unfortunately this area near the bar shut at 18:00 which meant one of our party had to go upstairs thru the wedding party and their photographs and the Murder Mystery weekenders before finally getting out to a designated smoking area , Bearing in mind that we were downstairs spending quite a bit of money on the pricey drinks served at the bar and there were at least two smoking areas downstairs one of them could have remained open for the downstairs bar and resturant customers. This is not really a massive problem just a general inconveniance.
The Food was very good and as stated previously the breakfasts are outstanding .
One thing if you go on the Travelzoo deal of bed breakfast and two course evening meal remember thta you can only get a starter and a mains or a mains and a dessert combo not all three despite the waitresses showing you a three course menu sheet , they should explain this to you when you tell them your room number etc before getting sat down , On saturdays u may need to book but sundays are very quiet and no need to book.
The Liesure facilities are excellent and we would recommend anyone staying at Cranage Hall to make full use of the Gym, Sauna ,Steamroom ,Jacuzzi and the superb pool, Towels are provided once u sign in showing your room card .
On Sunday there is a very good outside craft market in the village of Knutsford about six miles from the Hotel ,it is well worth a visit also you go by the famous Radio Telescope at Jodrell Bank (beware though it cost £7-00 to go in and through a vistor centre before u can get near to the Telescope itself ) .
Back to the Hotel I would recommend anyone visiting that part of the world to visit Cranage Hall.

Room Tip: The 100 numbered rooms are in the quieter part of the hotel. Take your free bottle of wine to the d...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranage
The Vicarage Freehouse & Rooms
#2 of 9 in Knutsford
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston

Been to De Vere Cranage Estate? Share your experiences!