“1st Class Corporate Stay”

De Vere Cranage Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cranage
Coventry, United Kingdom
“1st Class Corporate Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Following a long term placement at Barclays in Knutsford, I had to source a local hotel quite quickly as I'm staying here 2-3nights a week. I had read some reviews about Cranage but nothing which made me think "great".

8 Weeks On.. I've been consulting for over 13 years and the level of service at this hotel is right up there at the top. I don't usually leave hotel reviews but hopefully you can see why I have on this occasion:

Front Desk Staff - Extremely polite and always smiling! I've not had to ask for anything twice. Check in/out is very efficient. Joanna, Helen, Amy amongst others - first class.

Corporate Bookings - Speak with Stephanie Scholes. Stephanie provided me with a tour of the hotel, sent email confirmations, welcomed me on my first day, followed up with courtesy calls asking if the stay was okay,etc. I've had some problems with booking on the odd occassion, and Stephanie resolved these, again, follwed up with calls, and email confirmations. Nothing short of excellent and professional.

Hotel Facilities:
Cranage has a great swimming pool, sauna, stream room and jacuzzi. The gym unfortunately is quite small, but it does have good cardio equipment. a lat-pull down machine, seated bench press machine, shoulder press, and free weights. In short, still enough there to get a quick workout in for the weekday/end traveller. (Gym staff are helpful too).

Room Service - Food is well presented and usually delivered in 20-25mins. In 8 weeks, I've only had to call down twice to check on delivery times.

Food / Value for Money? - It's a hotel and a good one at that. The food is not cheap, but then again, not expensive. I'm vegetarian and I the veggie options were quite limited. A quick call to Stephanie and she spoke with Chef. By the time I checked in, there was a printed Vegetarian Menu in my room with some great options! Fantastic.

Rooms - Standard rooms are absolutely fine from what I've seen. Exec rooms are very spacious. Only negative is that the TV's in the exec rooms are bit on the small side. Should mention the Housekeeping staff are sooo polite. Always a 'good morning and smile' whenever you walk past!

Restaurant - Not had the chance to dine in the restaurant yet, but

Grounds / Location - Superb grounds and location wise, very easily accessible from the M6 from J18. If you're working at Barclays, then it's only 5.5miles away and a straight drive!

Quiteness / Noise factor - I've stayed here when the hotel is full and holding corp events. 8 weeks on...still never been woken up once due to any noise.
In general, what this hotel wins on in comparison to other "like-for-like" hotels is "the personal touch". Cranage Staff (certainly the ones I've met) go the extra mile just to make your stay more comfortable. I was ill a few weeks back and knew I woundn't be able to check out on time. I had printed note slipped through my door from Joanna asking me to contact reception if I needed anything brought to my room (and they left 2 bottles of still water outside my door!). following this in the early afternoon, I had a call from Stephanie saying if I needed to stay longer, it wasn't a problem and that they would bring any evening meals /drinks to me if required. The last time this happened a few years back, the first thing another Hotel did was ring me to tell me the late checkout charge and how much an extra night would cost me. Light years apart!.

I will upload some photo's I've taken at some point, but the above should speak for itself. My experience here has been great. Looking forward to a great long term stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mr_K_West_Midlands
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
A big Thank You from all the team at Cranage Hall. Your review optimises what we are trying to achieve. Kind Regards Richard Morrell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Stayed at this hotel with a Group On deal. This included tickets in to Tatton park, a lovely packed lunch and a bottle of wine in the room. We were dealt with quickly and efficiently at reception by Helen. We had a problem with the room as there was the smell of cigarette smoke but we were given another room immediately.
The evening meal was tasty. Cost of a glass of wine £7.50 was extortionate.
The spa and pool was enjoyable. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and all the staff polite.
The breakfast was very good.
All in all well worth the deal.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
rjm499, Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Glad you enjoyed the stay so much.
Thank you for the feddback and we look
forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards
rmansell
general manager
Swindon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed one night in the Cranage Hall hotel on the Travelzoo offer on Saturday June 1st.

The offer was £99 pounds for bed and breakfast and an evening meal supposedly worth £18. Two large croquettes on some peppery leaves followed by a piece of stewed beef with a dollop of mashed potato and some cabbage.

The breakfast however was very good with a self service buffet which was replenished on a regular basis.

The bar is hotel prices but if you want real ale you're out of luck as they only have Boddingtons at £4.10 a pint. There are no pubs in easy walking distance. The wine prices are as you would expect on the higher side but we did get a nice bottle of Rose for about £17.

The rooms in the add on part are spacious with a TV and comfy chairs and a reasonable sized bathroom with a good shower. The bed did seem to cave in in the middle. Our room looked out onto a cow field although they had all disappeared in the morning (no they wern't being milked). There was some noise from the M6 but the wind was in the right direction so it was OK to leave the window open at night.

We didn't use the Health facilities.

The staff all seem pleasant and willing.

In general for these special offers the hotel is just trying to fill up the rooms during weekends while offering back a basic service. It's not a bad place but it is not something special either it's one of those big country hotels!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel look onto fields but the M6 is only about 2 miles away which could if...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan T
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Thank you for rating the hotel 4 out of 5 for room quality, cleanliness and service, sorry you did not enjoy our 12hr slow roasted Blade of beef. Please return soon as I can recommend a great real ale pub near by which I am sure you will enjoy.
Kind Regards
Richard Morrell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

My other half and I celebrated our anniversary at this hotel this weekend booked last minute through Travelzoo. The offer was fantastic and we were taken aback by the layout of the hotel and the service we recieved by staff. Our deal included a 2 course meal which was lovely. If you eat here try the wild boar and chorizo burger! Would especially like to give credit to Alistair and Suzie who could not do enough for us whilst we were dining for dinner and breakfast. We didnt have a problem with the walking distance to get to our room but it was lengthy. We had the double executive room which was fine for us. It was clean and roomy. The hotel wasnt noisy even though there was a wedding party staying in the hotel that night aswel. The leisure facilities were adequate. Do take shampoo/ shower gel as showers only contained a liquid soap. Lockers were a £1 deposit. Ladies had good hairdryers and hair straighteners plus hand/ body lotion available. All in all we would definately come back to Cranage Hall in future!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Rach_isla
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased the team at Cranage Hall made your anniversary
a memorable one for all the right reasons. I have passed your thanks on to Alistair and Suzie
and we do hope to welcome you back very soon. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed here overnight en route from north wales to Coventry. Hotel is close to the M6 and very reasonable.

The picture on the website is rather deceiving as the hotel isn't a quaint old country house but a vast tardis like conference hotel with lots of corridors and stairs to negotiate to find one's room.

I didn't appreciate having to walk through the bar to get to your room and likewise if you wanted to use the gym facilities or reception. There may have been an easier way to get to the room and if so, better signposting is needed.

Staff were very kind and helpful and the free wifi was excellent. Be warned though, if you want free wifi you need to get a voucher from the desk. This can be annoying if you have settled in your room and you have to go back to reception after your free 30 minutes is up to get a scratch card with an access code. I would suggest that staff ask at check in if you are likely to need wifi access to save guests having to make a second trip.

The restaurant was quite large and the quality of food and service good.

I used the leisure facilities which were great.

All in all a very good offering and excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank binnysays
Thank you for your review and I will focus more with the Front Desk team to make sure our first impressions are always a very high standard. This must include clear directions and an offer to escort guests to their rooms. It was not necessary for you to go via the bar. Please accept my sincere apologies.

So pleased when you found your room you had a good stay and found our hotel to be of great value.

Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

On arrival the hotel looks breathtaking, the grounds are very pleasant to, but the trek to the rooms is a long way especially if you find walking difficult.
We booked a twin room and walked a long way along numerous corridoors only to find when we got there it was a double room.
Long trek back to reception to be given another room which was a twin room 2 doors down from where we had just been.
I needed a lie down after 2 long treks.
The room was basic, reasonably clean although a little dusty high level and torn wallpaper on one wall, damp patches on the ceiling and walls, also some marks on the walls.

Settled in went to use the sink in the bathroom and run the bath, the hot taps spewed out dirty brown water, which cleared after running them for 1/2 an hour.
Courtesy tray consisted of 4 milk,4 tea, 4 coffee, 4 sugar :(
Very small TV and only 8 chanels, the internet connection was bad and you had. to log in every half hour (which was a pain)

After a long trek back to reception we find the leasure facilities are at the oppersite end of the hotel although a long way to walk (if walking is a problem) we found it to be adequate for our needs, it consisted of a pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna.
The ladies changing rooms where communal, which i didn't like, there were hair dryers and straighteners for use.

The hotel lobby was very nice and the bar quite pleasant but larger was over £5 per pint, which i thought was a little expensive compared to other hotels where we have stayed.
We had room only and so i can't comment on the food there.

If you have difficulty walking, the car park is a way from the main entrance but there is a door leading from the car park to the bedrooms accesable with a code, they did not tell us about this door we discovered it by accident and enquired then we were given the code.
I is a little nearer but still be prepared for a long walk especially if your room is 270 or in that region.

Room was not serviced until about 3.30 pm each day and on the morning we were leaving we were woken by banging and slamming doors around 7.00am, i complained and was told they would look into it, went back to sleep only to be woken again at 7.30 am by the chamber maids banging, vacuming and talking loudly over the noise of the vac.
I went out and give them a piece of my mind, the noise then stopped but i was awake by then and so i wasn't very happy.

Room Tip: If walking is a problem try to request a room near the main part of the hotel, nearer the reception...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DogFriendlylady
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was lovely and so were the staff - very helpful and friendly. The gym looked very busy but we enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna very much. Our room was spacious and quiet, and we had a lovely outlook over a cow field, which was such a change for us as we live in a town. It's a shame the weather was so awful, we were hoping to enjoy the lovely grounds. Next time maybe!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Liz S
The team at Cranage hall are so pleased you had an enjoyable stay. Sorry about the weather
but please come back soon to Cheshire's Warmest Welcome. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranage
Crewe Hall
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#2 of 9 in Knutsford

Been to De Vere Cranage Estate? Share your experiences!