“Wedding and stay over, fabulous lunch shame about the brakfast”

De Vere Cranage Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cranage
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Cranage this weekend for a friends wedding. We have been there before a couple of years ago and were not disappointed. The front of the hall is beautiful with fabulous elegant reception rooms. The wedding was beautifully planned and organised. Plenty of room in the wide corridors for everyone to sit or chatter and children to play whilst photographs were taken. Easy access to outside areas for the smokers.
Lunch was perfect and stunning. Salmon roulade, then thyme chicken and finished by sticky toffee pud and ice cream. It amazed me that with such a large number of people to feed ( I think there were over hundred for lunch) each plate of food was served piping hot and tasted fresh.
The evening reception was equally well planned with again, plenty of space to dance or sit in the lobby and talk. Staff were professional and smooth from initial reception to waiting on and housekeeping.
Drinks particularly expensive though, £6.50 for a small glass of Pinot Grichio, bottled beer the same. Ouch.
Our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Although warm, window opened easily so we were able to access fresh air easily. The bed was especially comfy with a thick mattress topper and lovely thick pillows. Curtains provided perfect blackout with no gaps. Plenty of tea/ coffee and a kettle that was empty - perfect.
Only slightly disappointing thing about our stay though was the breakfast. We were one of the first down at 8am to find food that looked as though it had been sat around for hours. Hard rubbery bacon, fried eggs you could have bounced on the floor, greasy soggy 'fried bread', dried unappealing powdered scrambled eggs. It was so bad, I had only a small amount. Still feeling hungry I went in search of fruit, but could only find melon that looked dried up and stale, croissants that were soggy under cover. Very disappointing after such a perfect meal the day before. Even my coffee tasted awful, not filter, tasted like re heated instant. Such a shame.
The lovely receptionist asked how we had found everything as we were leaving and I mentioned the awful breakfast. She apologised and said she would go and speak to the chef and check what was happening. She also asked if we had mentioned it to the waiting staff - we hadn't done. I would have been even more impressed though if she had taken something off our bill to recompense the awful breakfast!
All in all a lovely clean, spacious hotel, stunning luncheon and all set in a beautiful and charming building with fabulous professional staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
rjm499, Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

HelenO,
Thank you for posting such a genuine, comprehensive and enlightening review.
Such great information and I appreciate the feedback as this certainly allows
us to improve on the areas that were not up to standard.
I am delighted you had such a great time at the wedding and
I am sorry that breakfast was such a disappointing experience. As you will
know from previous postings on TA, our breakfast service is one, that is
consistently noted as being one of the highlights of our venue by our guests.
However on this occasion, it appears something went wrong and for that, I apologize.

Come back and see us again soon.

Richard Mansell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,242)

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Just come back from brilliant stay at cranage hall, had to write a review on it.
Wife organised it for my birthday, she'd obviously mentioned it to hotel as they'd written me a card and left it in our room (103) which was a nice touch.
The staff were excellent, food was brilliant, gym and sauna were of high standard too, very clean.
Also booked into have a massage too which was very good

Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
rjm499, Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Ben F,
Great to see you had such a good time at Cranage Hall!

We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I booked a 2 night stay at Cranage Hall through Travelzoo (Great Little Breaks) as it was My Husbands Birthday. Included in the Break was, 2 nights B&B, Two course evening meal on first night, bottle of wine and tickets for Tatton Park. FANTASTIC value for money. The hotel and rooms are very good (some rooms are a little way from reception BUT there are other doors to the rooms from the car park...just ask for the code!!), the meal we had was good, hot and tasty, nice choice. Breakfast was just as good plenty choice and again hot and tasty. Staff in all areas polite and attentive.
It was the first time I had booked through Travelzoo and first time staying at Cranage Hall and visiting Tatton Park. Thank you to all three, we really enjoyed our stay/visit.

1  Thank lindan625
rjm499, Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Linda03, Thank you for the great recommendation!
I agree with you that our Totally Tatton Package is amazing
value for money and am so please you enjoyed your visit
to this special part of Cheshire.
Keep an eye out for our summer deals, which will be out soon!

Look forward to having you stay with us again

Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I have just returned from an overnight stay at the Cranage Hall Hotel where we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. The stay was a deal through Travelzoo and included an overnight stay with a two course dinner, free bottle of wine and tickets to Tatton Hall. We really enjoyed our visit and found the staff to be attentive, despite the hotel being very busy, as it was a Saturday night and there was obviously a wedding party and a big function taking place. The restaurant staff in particular should be singled out for praise, a young team of staff who were professional, welcoming and attentive throughout our stay. We enjoyed the leisure facilities which were actually very quiet, despite the hotel being full. The hotel grounds are beautiful and worth exploring (we didn't have time!). Some previous comments refer to the majority of rooms not being in the "old" part of the hall/hotel, but to be honest show me a large hotel where it is any different. The rooms are welcoming and the bed was very comfy. My only constructive comment would be for the hotel to consider "brightening up" the rooms a little to be in keeping with other more modern areas of the hotel such as the lovely lounges. Well done Cranage Hall - you didn't disappoint!

Chris C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your anniversary and
it’s great to see you had such a good time. Thank you for highlighting some of
the amazing younger ladies and gentleman we have working for us. We are
certainly blessed to have such a genuine and caring team.
We are continuing to enhance areas of the venue this year and I appreciate
your honest, authentic and constructive feedback.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Booked room then business trip changed, so I cancel the booking three days before due. Do they help? No. They "helpfully" offer to cancel the room.....and charge me the full amount....probably so they can try and sell the room again. I get charged full price, they don't lift a finger. Awesome way to enrage potential customers!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Crunchysystems

Crunchsystems,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the TA community.
I am truly sorry to see the experience you noted has caused you
such distress and I am saddened that I have not had the
opportunity to speak with you personally in regards to the
grievance you noted.
As our agents discussed with you; the room reservation originally made
for you was a discounted 'non refundable' value booking and whilst we are
always happy, to try and amend your arrival date to avoid loss of booking
this was not suitable for you at this time.
Once again I am sorry that this situation has caused you such anguish and
I do hope that one day we will restore your trust in us to deliver a memorable
experience at Cranage.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed for two nights. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. My room was nice and just the right size. It has the usual TV and tea/coffee tray. My view was of rooms opposite. It was a trek from car park to reception to my room. My room was near the bar and restaurant which made my evening a little easier. The drinks and food are a little expensive but adequate.
Except for the very noisy "youngsters" at 2am and 3am on a Friday morning, which I had words with, my stay was very nice.
Thank you Cranage Hall.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ray O

RayO,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Cranage Hall.
Glad to see you had such a good time, even with some unfortunate
noisy neighbours!

We loook forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Having visited a number of similar hotels in the Cheshire area myself and my partner were impressed by the layout of the hotel. Amazing value for money of first booking but prices for drinks within the resort were a little steep. The resultant was lovely and offered healthy choices on the menu although it opened a little later that we would have preferred at 7:00pm. Staff were really friendly and room service was very quick. The hotel bar was nice and offered a snooker table and comfortable seating in a relaxed atmosphere. The only down side was the weddings being held which created a lot of noise for us late at night to the early hours of the morning. This unfortunately did effect the good nights sleep we had planned. All in all we were happy with our stay and would recommend for a nice break and possibly return for a future stay.

Room Tip: He chose the standard double room the bed was a little small but was clean and comfortable.