“Average Hotel, low price, uncomfortable beds....really, really uncomfortable beds.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel & Spa Villasor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cuautla
Hotel & Spa Villasor
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Cuautla
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

Firstly, I will say that I was traveling on business to Cuautla for the first time, and the hotel was booked for me by our colleagues in Mexico. I'm used to business travel in the U.S., and this was my first business trip outside the country, though I've been to Mexico many times. Cuautla is not a city full of well-known hotel brands, they are all small, independent hotels it seems. Each one I drove past, I was glad it wasn't mine because most don't look very nice from the outside, with a few exceptions.
I arrived at Hotel Villasor, and it seemed decent compared to the ones I'd seen coming in. It's across from a not-very-popular water park called "Agua Hedionda" which means "Smelly Water." I'm not sure why they'd name the park that, but maybe they were just being honest.
The location is a little out of the way of everything. There are no restaurants nearby, just the little taco stands that close early on the weeknights. It isn't near the Zocalo, so there isn't much action on this side of town. If you wanted to walk to a gas station in the evening, you'd have a long walk on a dark street to get there.

As for the stay, I stayed 3 nights, so I had plenty of time to make observations, and here they are:
The Good:
The hotel is walled-in, except for the parking, so don't leave valuables in your car.
This hotel is one of the few with free wi-fi, or any wi-fi at all in Cuautla. It was a weak signal in my room, but it worked. See my additional tips regarding wi-fi.
The grounds were fair, though I felt sorry for the fish in the fish pond because it hadn't been cleaned in some time.
The hotel staff was friendly, but usually you had to walk up and interrupt them if you wanted their attention. (They are usually chatting with each other.) Don't expect them to know English....this isn't a tourist town. Fortunately, I speak enough Spanish to get by.
The rooms had hot water....I didn't push it to see how long it would last though.
The restaurant was actually good, and the food was surprisingly fair priced. I had a decent breakfast and coffee for around 40 pesos ($3.)
The hotel rates are inexpensive. I paid about $1500 pesos for 3 nights....about $45/night.

The bad:
The first room I had, the middle mattress springs were all sunken in and had no support. The springs at the head and foot of the bed were normal, but extremely stiff. I asked to change rooms because of that issue and a shower head issue (below.)
The second room I had was the same thing. The rooms have 2 beds, and the one closest to the door wasn't as bad, but the curtains don't really close all the way, so it felt uncomfortable sleeping next to them.
The rooms are very very sparsely furnished, two beds and a small wooden table and chair for a desk. A dark walk-in closet with no light, and the bathroom amenities were two towels and a small bar of soap, and no extra toilet paper. There is no distinction between the floor of the shower and the bathroom floor, so I had to use one of my two towels to create a barrier so water didn't get everywhere; there was no shower pan. In the first room I was in, the shower head broke off in my hand in the middle of my shower while i tried to adjust it. Oops. The floor in the shower was clean, but not clean at the same time....I remember wishing I had shower shoes....I hate to think of what happens when the toilet overflows because it would probably go into the shower drain.
There is a wall fan that is supposed to cool the air but doesn't. It's just a very loud fan. I would hate to come here in July, because it was stuffy even in February. At night I slept with the windows cracked.
I had a room with tile floors. I would recommend asking for this because the carpeted rooms would be musty, as the other reviewer mentioned.
There are no room amenities at all by the way. No phone, alarm clock, shampoo, lotion, tissue box, iron. Nothing but 2 towels and soap.
There is a 20 peso deposit if you want a remote control for the TV. I paid. Though it didn't work, and some heavy breathing maintenance guy had to come into my room to reprogram it. The TV is a 20-24" tube TV.

Tips: As for Wi-Fi....ask to stay in a room closest to the Lobby for the best signal. The signal is strongest in the lobby and dining area. Those rooms don't have carpet, so it's good.

All in all, it was okay. It could have been worse. I had no problem changing rooms when I requested it, and the staff was friendly enough. Unfortunately, I think this is probably one of the better hotels in Cuautla. There were some others closer to the plaza, but only a few looked decent. If I go back, I may try another hotel. I specifically asked them to book me a room with wi-fi, so maybe the other hotels didn't have it for free.

I'll post pictures when I get them off my camera.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
5 Thank Gringo-Master

Solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuautla
Hotel Boutique Hacienda la Villa Real
#5 of 7 in Cuautla
Hotel del Rio
Hotel del Rio
#2 of 6 in Oaxtepec

Been to Hotel & Spa Villasor? Share your experiences!