“One to avoid”

Le Bistrot de St Val
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“One to avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

We wanted a snack lunch and chose this restaurant. Unfortunately, the meal was the worst we had in France on this trip. My Ficelle Picarde looked and tasted dreadful being crammed with grey ham and black watery mushrooms. The accompanying salad contained the tough outside leaves of various plants which were of wildly differing sizes thrown together with nasty chunks of tomato. A four-year-old on work experience could have done better job of tearing the leaves into bit sized pieces. My husband's omelette was so greasy that he looked as grey as my ham whilst trying to eat it. The chips we both had were hot and good, thankfully, although I wasn't sure why I was served chips with my pancake and salad. They certainly bumped up the bill though - 28 euros including two cokes. This is definitely one to avoid.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Darcygirl9

Derby, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The eating experience here was amazing. The food is reasonably priced especially their fixed menu. The restaurant offers a good choice of dishes which include Seafood, Fish and the Somme Salt marsh lamb. The staff were helpful, friendly and very accommodating.

Visited September 2013
Croydon, United Kingdom
“A good fixed price menu, but one of the waitresses is just awful!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We visit St Valery sur Somme regularly and have eaten quite often at this cafe. They have a fixed price menu at 16.5 euros, which is very good value (I usually have the plate of 8-10 large prawns to start with, followed by a very generous piece of skate with boiled potatoes and ice cream for dessert). Only once have I had cause to complain, when the main course was practically stone cold, but generally it has been fine. My one complaint is an extremely unfriendly and disagreeable waitress. If we find we have to sit where she is serving, we simple turn around and leave, as she has major problems - she is surly, rude, takes half an hour to take your order and is unhelpful in every way. The other waitress we have found to be the complete opposite - always smiling and helpful/friendly. So, if you are met by a miserable looking waitress, turn away and go elsewhere, as she will ruin your meal completely.

• Visited August 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Average at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Serving below standard food to tourists...we had a very average family meal here for more or less the price you will pay at somewhere much better.

We had moules which were poor, very small and the sauce was tasteless; fish from the set menu which was a cheap white fish, again in disappointing sauce.

Service was curt, really not any more than a glorified café and a poor one at that!

• Visited July 2013
Silverstone, United Kingdom
“A good traditional bistrot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We have eaten here several times over the years and have always enjoyed it. In fact we chose it for a celebration meal on our most recent visit to St Valery & were not disappointed.
There is a good range of set meals to suit all pockets, and even the cheapest has a wide choice of dishes. You can also have any dessert from the carte for a small supplement.
The food is standard bistrot fare. My son had the charcuterie starter, which was so generous we had to help him out. For mains, I had the pave de rumsteak, which was easily the best steak I have eaten for a long time, & my husband & son enjoyed their entrecote & duck.
The staff are friendly & attentive, despite the fact that on the night we visited there were only 2 of them & they were clearly busy.

• Visited July 2013