“Great hospitality!”
Review of Boven Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waterval Boven
Boven Villa
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great hospitality!”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I've been there twice now for the weekend, and it makes a great break from the busy roads of JHB. Perfect place to chill and do absolutely nothing. Shaun is a great host, and an even better cook. Keep it up!

Room Tip: Elephant room is great with its huge bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kelwin P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Johannesburg
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We found Boven Villa a charming and comfortable place to overnight en route to the Kruger Park. Sean , the owner and host, is every bit as charming and accommodating. He catered for our special needs and cooked a delicious vegetarian meal for dinner.
We stayed in the Elephant room with a ballroom size and well appointed bathroom en-suite.
When in the area, we will definitely make use of his hospitality again.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, ask for a room down stairs. The Elephant room is gorgeous and has a bathroo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa414
Denfield, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We dropped in by the three of us on a business trip for the Railways. We've been very welcomed and felt right at home from the beginning. Very nice place to stay, very good hosts!
He served us a superb meal!

Definitely a place you want to stay over!

Note that the shower/washroom was not in the room, but, to be honest, it was totally not a problem! It was nearby, clean, and shared with another room. Non-Issue, even if you insist on en-suite.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms were great actually!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Jerry H
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

There are a few other accommodation options in the area (a convenient journey breaker to and from Jo'burg and Kruger), but Sean immediately and enthusiastically responded to my enquiry and that is how I chose Boven Villa. Due to a faulty GPS, I got lost in the town, but unprompted he came to fetch and convoy me to the Villa (his directions were perfect). The welcome was hearty and genuine, and the room light and pleasant. The setting of the premises were tranquil and beautiful, and the outdoor balcony (with tables for meals and drinks) had magnificent views. Sean suggested various hikes and even drove me on one to familiarise me in case I lost my way! Such service and attention is certainly above and beyond expectation. I had no dinner plans, but he said he was making an evening meal. He offered me a drink and presented a veritable feast - he obviously has talent as a chef. Breakfast was served in a pretty room adjacent to the main lounge, and while there are options for fruit and cereals, etc, he made a sumptuous breakfast of eggs, beans, grilled tomato, roast potatoes, bacon, etc. Travelling alone, and first time to this area, I appreciated the suggestions and tips he provided for my onward trip, and I was given his card and invited to call if I had any problems en-route. The Villa itself was perfect, but what makes this place and my experience of it exceptional has to be Sean, and the attention and care to the comfort of his guests.
On my return journey, I stayed at another near-by, rather more celebrated accommodation, and whilst the setting was stunning, I found myself missing Boven Villa and the hearty friendliness offered to guests there. I extended my journey and hoped to spend another night at BV, but it was full. I was about to just drive back to Jo'burg when Sean called - he'd just had a cancellation, and if I still needed a place, it was mine. It was like a homecoming, after a week on the road, and I think I had my best night's sleep, not too mention more superb meals. Much credit to Sean who enhances the Villa with his energy. I will always plan to stay here if in the area, and am recommending it to others. Thanks!

Room Tip: I understand the 'Elephant' room is impressive and has a balcony. I had the Lion room and i...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank knk777
Maputo
Reviewed 8 November 2011

In order to break up a Friday night drive from Maputo to Johannesburg, I arranged a stop over at Boven Villa. The drive took longer than expected, so we were met at the gate by the owner Sean to divert us to the soon closing kitchen (20:00)of the nearby pub! He had even phoned ahead to ask them to wait for us!
After a quick pub lunch and some interesting DJing we returned to our accomodation to be welcomed. We were the only guests that night and were lucky to be in the Elephant room with it's own fantastic ensuite.
We experienced a power cut due to a raging storm, and Sean arrived within minutes with candles and to check that we were OK.
in the morning we were greeted with a buffet style breakfast of cereals and yoghurts and Sean was on hand to take our order for a cooked breakfast. Just what we need before setting off on the remaining journey.
We didn't have enought time to look around properly but the villa is stunning, we were well looked after and would definately stay here again!
It is an easy 5-10minutes detour from the N4 and is perfect to use as a midway stop between Maputo / Kruger & Johannesburg.

Room Tip: The Elephant room has it's own private balcony and en-suite bathroon, The other rooms (which i h...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Alex9Maputo
bovenvilla, Owner at Boven Villa, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Hi Guys

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

I hope that you enjoyed your concert. Fingers crossed for the Saints!!

Regards

Sean
Amersfoort
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We started our holiday with Sean in Boven Villa, in the village of Waterval Boven.
This village is located halfway between Johannesburg and Kruger NP.
The rooms in the villa are nice, but it is owner Sean who makes the difference.
Great host and great chef, he made us a wonderfull diner.
Just a great way to start your holiday.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bianca D
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed at the Boven Villa this week-end, and enjoyed a lovely and relaxed week-end in the Boven Villa. I stayed in the Lion room. Thanks Sean for a very enjoyable week-end

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
The Grey's Inn
The Grey's Inn
#1 of 5 in Machadodorp
Gooderson Kloppenheim Country Estate Hotel

Been to Boven Villa? Share your experiences!