Sun Viking Lodge
Hyatt Place Daytona Beach - Oceanfront(Daytona Beach Shores)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$126
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Oceanfront(Daytona Beach Shores)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$111
HIExpress.com
Best Western Aku Tiki Inn(Daytona Beach Shores)(Great Value!)
US$133
The Shores Resort & Spa(Daytona Beach Shores)
US$167
US$142
  • Pool
Lexington Inn & Suites(Daytona Beach Shores)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$114
Agoda.com
Perry's Ocean Edge Resort(Daytona Beach Shores)(Great Value!)
US$168
Days Inn Daytona Oceanfront(Daytona Beach Shores)(Great Value!)
US$112
El Caribe Resort & Conference Center(Daytona Beach Shores)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$119
Agoda.com
Bahama House(Daytona Beach Shores)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$151
Agoda.com
Grand Prix Motel(Daytona Beach Shores)
US$73
US$67
Agoda.com
All reviewsoutdoor poolwater slideskids activitieshot tuba huge hitkids loveactivities directorfull kitchendaily activitiescorn holegreat place for familiesbasketball courthigh riseentire familybit datedfamily vacationyear after year
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I am very picky about where I stay. I usually only stay at Marriott or Hilton just because I know what to expect there. However, a few years ago, while going through a divorce, my son and I just packed the car and headed to Florida (with no reservations) to get our minds off of it. We drove until we were tired, which was in Daytona when he saw the Sun Viking and asked if we could stop. I asked to see the room first and was satisfied with the cleanliness and price. I paid for 7 days and we unpacked. A few hours later, it started raining and turned into a terrible thunderstorm. It was supposed to rain all week. :( I went to the office and explained that I didn't think to check the weather and although their policy was not to refund, I asked if we could possibly get any of our money back so we could go South in search of sun. They understood and refunded our unused days. We packed up and headed to the Keys. My son wasn't happy anywhere else we stayed because he wanted to go back to the Sun Viking. I checked the weather and it was sunny, no rain in Daytona, so we pack up, drive back to Daytona. After wasting a week chasing the sun, we decided to stay another week and stayed at the Sun Viking. He loved the basketball game that was always going on, and I loved that I could lay out in peace! :) The owners/ management have always been so nice and accommodating. Now, every time I am in Florida, whether it be for business, or flying in for a cruise, I always stop and stay a day or two at the Sun Viking, even when my son is not with me!
If you are thinking of staying here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank 102StephanieB
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

I would like to thank this guest for sending in such a nice review. I must admit, it put a smile on my face to read this mom and her son enjoyed their time with us so much, they’ve become repeat guests after finding the Sun Viking Lodge several years ago.

As I have mentioned many times, we are not an upscale hotel offering luxury services; we offer clean comfortable accommodations in a casual beachfront atmosphere. It is certainly appreciated to see this guest ranked us so high in each category; we are happy that we met your expectations, thank you!

We agree with you; our basketball goal is a favorite of many guests as well as our 60-foot waterslide.

Thank you again for your kind review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Hotel staff was rude and unaccomating. Chose to ignore problems rather than resolve them. Appears to be a shoddy run down motel posing as a hotel. For a hotel on the beach, we expected to be situated...not on the highway. Put our room right on highway 90. We listened to cars roar by at midnight due to poor building management.

This "hotel" is the vacation from hell.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank kdyzol

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were unhappy with your room location. As in most motels or hotels, there are few rooms that are available that do not have the most desirable locations. This holds true for us as well.

Whether booking directly with us, booking on our website or booking through a travel site, we have always tried to be very descriptive on the few rooms we have in these non-view locations. They are described accurately as having “no view of the ocean” and a “street-side” location; meaning, they are located next to the street. In addition, these are our least expensive rooms. Some guests, prefer to save the money knowing the room locations in advance, as they plan to be outside enjoying the beach all day. Other guests may prefer to pay a bit more to get a room with a better location and a view of the ocean. As a suggestions, when booking a room anywhere, it is best to read the full description to avoid any miss-understandings.

When you return to Daytona Beach, I am sure you will find many great hotels that can offer you a room you will be happy with.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I would like to start with the good, they have upgraded their televisions in the rooms, counter tops in kitchens and bathrooms have been upgraded as have fixtures in the kitchen, all very nice. The doors in the tower now have electronic locks with a key band that is very convenient. The grounds were clean and well kept throughout the property. With those said, great job SunViking!!! As for the needed improvements, The pool staff needs to be more attentive. Larry is great, he's on top of it as he has been for years, the others at least from my perspective on this trip, no so good. On one particular evening around 745- 830 p.m. some guys were at the main outdoor pool, spitting on the pool deck repeatedly and drinking with glass bottles, not cups or cans. I don't need the office to fix my issue with this so I asked the individuals to stop spitting and they did however their drinking out of bottles didn't. This can be fixed by having the person sitting down behind the outdoor counter walk around and do his job. It was a fairly young employee maybe there in lies the issue, probably a seasonal position, but that doesn't dismiss safety concerns, I will continue to come back but the day time pool staff needs to police the area better for those with no bands showing they are guests, and watching for those safety issues I just brought to light.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank sclayton1813
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to send in your comments. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our new flat-screen TV’s and that your liked our new kitchen cabinets with granite counter tops in the kitchens in our 8-story building plus our new bathrooms granite vanities. Our guests agree with you and they too comment that they find the electronic key bands convenient. We always try to keep the grounds clean and well-kept throughout the property, so thank you for noticing.

We certainly agree with you, Larry does a great job and we are lucky that he cares so much for our guests. However, we as owners, are the ones who dropped the ball with the newer pool attendant employees. If they did a sub-standard job, it is our fault for not training them better. We have reviewed your comments and take them seriously; I can assure you, we are re-training these employees and hopefully these issues will be “a thing of the past!”

Thank you for being a loyal repeat guest and we want this family to know we sincerely appreciate their vacation stays with us.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just returned from a stay at the Sun Viking Lodge. This is an excellent place and location for families to stay. The beach is only a few steps away. Also they have one outdoor pool with a slide and an indoor pool as well. If you are interested there are many kids activities. From an adults point of view I was very impressed with all the cleaning that was going on . Inside and out. We had an oceanfront room which was very clean and had an amazing view. I would recommended this hotel highly.

Room Tip: Oceanfront balcony room well worth money.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank maggie151
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write such a nice review and for ranking us so high in all the different categories. It is always a pleasure for us to know that a guest enjoyed their stay with us while in Daytona Beach. I am happy to read this family found our rooms and oceanfront property clean and we are glad they enjoyed their family vacation with us.

I agree with the comment that our oceanfront rooms have an amazing view; from the moment you awake till the dark of evening, the sights are incredible. It’s very relaxing and almost is hypnotizing to watch the waves repeatedly roll up on the shoreline. Many guests will see dolphins in the ocean while watching many different types of sea birds, swimmers in the ocean, kids playing in the sand, beachgoers searching for shells and surfers catching a wave. Yes, the view is amazing!

I also agree, our free activity program is very popular. Throughout the day, many different free events are planned for all ages such as poolside bingo, balloon toss, penny dive and many events that include friendly competitions for the entire family! Plus during the summer months, we offer our free Saturday Movie Night that show popular kid’s movies outside in the open air with the ocean as a backdrop!

Again, I would like to thank this guest for sending in this review. We all look forward to welcoming this family back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed a week in the small cottage (133B).

The good: It was in a great location. It was right across the street from the hotel; it's a short walk to the beach. We enjoyed the privacy of the separate building. The kitchen was well stocked. The pool was great. It was on the small side, but not crowded. My sons loved the big water slide. The public areas we saw were clean. The staff we interacted with were very nice.

The bad: Mostly minor issues. Extra hooks in the bathroom would have been useful. There weren't enough places to hang our swim suits and towels. There is a covered porch area with two seats off the bedroom. Would have been a nice place to sit, except there were two big permanent trash cans right in front of it. Who wants to sit by that? One of the burners on the stove didn't work. The microwave didn't work. We tried to use it to make popcorn. A couple of kernels popped, the bag burned and the outside of the microwave was very hot. A functioning kitchen was one of the main requirements we had for this vacation, so this was an issue for us. However, for the price, I probably still would have given this hotel an average rating if it weren't for the cleanliness of the room. I lost my phone, and while searching for it, we found lots of dead bugs in the living room and a used Q-tip in the bedroom. Gross.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for your review and for all your nice comments stating you enjoyed the great location and privacy of our 1-bedroom cottage and that your felt the kitchen was well stocked. I was happy to read that you felt the pool was great and that your sons loved our waterslide. I was glad to see you found our public areas clean and our staff very nice.

I would like to apologize for, in your words, “mostly minor issues”. I think providing extra hooks in the bathroom is a great idea and I will make sure this is done. I absolutely agree that the covered porch area with two seats off the bedroom would have been a nice place to sit, minus the trash cans right in front of it. Actually, they were just being built by one of our employees waiting to be moved to hotel locations, however, I totally agree, they should have never been in front of your porch – they have been relocated. All burners on our stoves are supposed to work; I am not sure if you reported this, usually our maintenance department can make a quick repair. I apologize if the microwave didn't work, all our microwaves should be in working condition; I am not sure if you mentioned this to our office, as we do have new spare microwaves and it could have been replaced. I totally agree, a functioning kitchen is important to us to offer our guests.

I would also like to apologize for the housekeeping issues and keeping bugs out of our rooms is a very important issue for us. This is not an excuse, however, when living in Florida, occasionally bugs still get in; any hotel in Florida that says they have never had a bug in their rooms may not be telling the whole story. This is why we have regular monthly service from a National Pest Control Service Company. In addition, our carpets are cleaned on a regular based plus our housekeepers are instructed to vacuum our rooms carefully; unfortunately in your case, this did not happen. Finding even one dead bug under a sofa is not acceptable to us either. I have brought up your comments to our housekeeping department so they will pay closer attention to the issues you mentioned to avoid this happening in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to send in your comments.