See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 March 2011

I have been to Finca Hartmann with groups of entomologist's at least once a year for the past 10 years, usually spending 4 or 5 days and nights, and have visiting here since 1976. The Hartmann family built their "Ojo de Agua Biological Research Station/Lodge" over 20 years ago, and completely renovated it in 2008-9 to better accomodate visitors, who were mostly bird-watchers and researchers up until now. Now anyone wanting to get right in the jungle/rain forest can get there by staying at Finca Hartmann.

It's basically a rustic 2-story lodge, with 4 bedrooms upstairs and 2 bedrooms downstairs (I believe each room has two beds, but adjustments can be requested), plus a large open room downstairs with a couch, a couple of hammocks, tables and chairs. There's a veranda all the way around the upper floor, and an outside staircase for access. While there's no electricity yet, lighting at night is from candles, kerosene lanterns, flashlights, or maybe they can provide a small generator to power a couple of electric lights. There is a regular bathroom with indoor plumbing and an instant-on gas hot water heater for pleasantly warm (if not hot) showers.

The kitchen is rustic, but complete enough to cook just about anything with gas cooktops (there is no oven for baking). Dishes and utensils are provided. Be sure to buy some of their coffee (some of the best in the world) to enjoy during your stay there. On my 2009 trip I brought 16 entomologists for 5 days and nights and in 2010 there were 8 of us. We cooked our own meals and did just fine.

It gets chilly up here in the mountains at night (elev about 4900 ft), so they have a large fireplace to keep it warm and plenty of firewood outside in the carport. The beds are very basic, but not uncomfortable. I'll be bringing entomologists and others here until I die. It's one of my favorite places on earth to get close to nature. On clear nights you can see at least a billion stars, and probably more.

They also have a small "honey-moon" cottage across the way from the big lodge. It's a one bedroom cabin with a full bathroom (instant-on hot water) and a kitchen (no oven).
My wife and I have stayed there a couple times. The view out of the kitchen windows is beautiful, and white-faced monkeys can be see across the yard drinking from the spring.

A few of the creatures you might see here White-faced monkeys, Howler monkeys, Coati-mundi's, Tamandua (Silky Ant-eater), a huge variety of birds, including Toucans, Trogons, many Hummingbirds, and beautiful butterflies. If you are looking to experience the rain forest in a rustic but comfortable location, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2010