“Sheraton Bijao”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Santa Clara
Safety harbor
“Sheraton Bijao”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Acomodations great, cleans rooms.
The food was not bad it was ok.
The building was clean easy to find, the activities the hotel offer poor nothing to do.
The prices hight for the place.Extrimily hight for the country and the kind of beach.
Ligia asyn

Room Tip: Spa very expensive findbetterprices in US
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
SheratonBijao, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Ligia A

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are pleased to know that you enjoy most of our facilities. Although, we would like to apologize if you didn't met your expectations. We are always trying to improve our service and products and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved.

We hope you could give us another chance in the future to show you the Sheraton Bijao experience you deserve.

Santiago Tapia V.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I like the infrastructure of this hotel. It's got nice rooms and nice pools. The whole property is rather small, but still enjoyable to walk around. The beach just in front of the hotel is one of the few ones that I like in this coastal area. Also, the hotel presents some small but nice music shows at night in the poolside area (they invite a small local band or a local singer), which made family night time enjoyable. BUT (there's always a but), the attention is way under average. The people serving customers just seem not trained at all, and the general service quality has diminished since the last time I stayed here with my family (2013). I can give some examples: there's a place by one of the pools where you can grab some pizza slices for a snack during afternoons. The problem with this service is that pizzas are not prepared as quickly as they should, so you always find people making lines to get some slices, and when one small pizza is ready, you have to fight for one small piece. Not fun or enjoyable at all. Also, the person who was running this service was completely untrained (it was even difficult to communicate with him). Another example: the quality of the food served in the buffet has decreased considerably. Only low-quality fatty and sticky ham served, no raw jam or manchego cheese (they served these back in 2013), the food is really plain with no major merit whatsoever (it was better one year ago)... The list could go longer, but my point is, again: the hotel seems to be trying to save money by lowering the quality of the food and the service. The people working in the buffet restaurant seemed really unmotivated. They couldn't even smile. When you asked (nicely) for something, they made you feel like they were doing you a favor. It was really saddening. I went there for second time wishing their quality was at least up to the same level it was one year before (not excellent either, but acceptable). But we had a very disappointing experience this time. I think we won't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank danyluis
SheratonBijao, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear danyluis

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. I apologize for all the challenges you had while visiting us recently but thank you for giving us this review so we can address all of your concerns.

First and foremost we would like to apologize for any unpleasant experiences you had with our Food & Beverage Staff and the meals during your stay. Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and we really take it to heart when we fail. Our Food & Beverage Manager and our Executive Chef take this feedback very seriously and have been notified.

We hope you could give us another chance to show you again the experience you lived during your first visit to our Resort.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Clara hotels

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The Good part.
Layout location and pools were lovely.
On checkin parking car was several blocks away. Golf cart to escort back from parking not on
duty.

Room was good.
1. flapper of toilet not working
2. stopper in sink not working
reported to maintenance but not fixed during weekend stay.
3. electronic safe not working, needed new battery. That was fixed.
4. Peek hole in room door to passage way had hallyway lens removed, Person in hallway could look in room as voyeur. That was fixed.

Restaurant-
1. Steak house by beach was closed. Reason---Out of meat.
2. Buffet dinner was hospital quality. Ran out of some foods. Did not expect Gourmet, but
food was substandard for price paid. Only choice of two desserts ( small portion cake, dry,)
3. Lack of tables at evening meals. also poor table service. The restaurant personnel need
more training.
4. Dinner in Gourmet restaurant was average. Bread sticks were stale and not crisp.
Were not fresh in humid atmosphere.
5. Disco crowd at 3-4 a.m. noisy in hotel hallways ( not hotel's fault) but fyi.

Staff was mostly courteous, but felt they were "yessing all comments".

Overall impression would not return, nor recommend to anyone.
Overpriced and overpaid.

Francis J. Kanofsky, M.D.

Room Tip: Try for ocean view. Best part of weekend.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TOCKFJK
SheratonBijao, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear TOCKFJK

Thank you for offering us your review and guidance about your recent visit with us. I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the poor service in our Restaurant and condition of the room. Our Food and Beverage Manager and Housekeeping Manager have been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved.

On behalf of our team we apologize for your unpleasant experience while staying at the Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort Panamá and would love another chance to show you the experience you deserve.

Toulouse, France
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights during the week. The hotel had a few guests; we must have been 30-40, so it felt nice and quiet but not a ghost town. The staff were very friendly and helpful, a bit too keen on coming to get your plate as soon as you put the fork down though.
We ate at the restaurant by the beach one evening, which I would not recommend, the food wasn't great and you had much less choice than at the usual buffet restaurant. They also served the same food than the buffet restaurant the night before.
The room was a bit dated, certainly for a 4 or 5 star hotel. We stayed in a deluxe ocean view room, which was spacious and had an amazing view, however the bathroom is dated and needs to be refurbished.
Overall we had a pleasant and relaxing 5 days. The different pools and the beach are very nice. I wouldn't recommend staying more than 4 nights as the food gets a bit repetitive after a while.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank audejacques
SheratonBijao, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear audejacques

We are all happy you enjoyed our facilities during your last Stay in our Resort. We are happy to provide our guests places where they can relax.

I do want to apologize for the impressions you had about our rooms. Our Director of Operations and our Housekeeping Manager have been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved. For that reason I would like to share with you that all our rooms will be renewed during this year.

We look forward to your next visit!

Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I overpaid to stay at this hotel back in April, 2014. This first room we got was a room with double beds which is not what I requested. We went to the front desk and express our concern and ask for a different room. The front desk clerk was not very happy with the request but, he went ahead and move us to another room with one bed. It really was depressing to see and sleep and such a horrible, cheap furnished room!! great disappointment. The room was "horrible" old furniture and bed. The room was poorly decorated, which shocked me and made me pretty upset. I blame out travel agency for lying to us and not telling us ahead of time that this hotel was old and not a "4" star as it was advertised. However, the beautiful beach and the food compensated for the lack of class, entertainment and service.
If you are looking for luxury and comfort this is not the place for you!!

Room Tip: Make sure you call the hotel ahead of time to make sure you are getting what you paid for.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ikitai
Dear Ikitai

Thank you for offering us your review and guidance about your recent visit with us. I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the conditions of the room. Our Director of Operations and Housekeeing Manager have been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved. Although, I would like to share with you that all our rooms are in process of renovation.

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I live in Panama City and my parents came to visit me. They wanted to get out of the city and spend a few days at the beach, so I booked them at the Sheraton Bijao. I only stayed one night, but my parents didn't think it was worth the money they spent.

It's a nice property, and has a lot of amenities; pools for everyone, activities, beach front access, different restaurants, etc. There is one big "buffet" restaurant that doesn't require a reservation. Apparently the food is more or less the same every night, and my parents said that if you don't get there early, the food just sits in the warming trays and isn't replaced regularly.

Also, the day I came, we wanted to make a reservation at the steak house. The front desk had told us that you could reserve either at 11am or at 4pm. My mom went at 11 and was told to come back at 4pm to reserve. But when she went at 4, it was all full. So they never got to experience any of the other restaurants.

Generally my experience with Panama is that Panamanians are not aware of customer service and do not consider this when working in service industries. The Sheraton should have customer service as part of their training program, so it's surprising to read all the comments about poor customer service. The hotel staff I encountered weren't from Panama, and they were just as friendly as any all-inclusive in Mexico.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa G
Dear Lisa G

Thank you for offering us your review and guidance about your recent visit with us with your parents. I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with our Restaurants a la Carte reservation system. Our Front Desk Manager has been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved.

On behalf of our team we apologize for this unpleasant experience while staying at the Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort Panamá and would love another chance to show you the experience you deserve.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Overpriced / Old / Bad Maintained / Really Bad Food / Partly Annoying Staff / But nice beach

First I thought I would book a 4 or 5 stars resort (all inclusive) and the brand name 'Sheraton' (of which I thought would be good, but isn't) would stand for a certain international standard of quality.

ROOM
We got here and the room was dirty, bad maintained, just really overpriced. For example the bathroom had loads of bad overpaintings everywhere, making it look like still in consructions. The curtains were and still are dirty, and I mean really dirty, which I saw when entering the room. The TV remote control lacks of a cover and is fixed with plastic scotch tape. After being in bed and looking at the smoke detector, I realized the control light never blink, meaning it does not work. The bathroom is partly not clean, having rests looking like mould in corners. See pictures. Everything just really not or bad maintained and dirty.

FOOD
As all inclusive you can eat as much as you wantand drink as you want (excluding wines and brand liquors). There is a so called Japanese restaurant (Sakura), which served only 1 dish (no choice). The portions were small, the sushi was bad and did contain only vegetables. The seafood was not fresh but frozen (cheap stuff). For example the shrimps I am pretty sur are tiger shrimps from vietnam. The squid was frozen and they cooked smoked salmon! Nobody would ever do that.
The other restaurant is mediterranean and has a menu, so you can choose. There is plenty of starters, main dishes and deserts. a salad bar is included and was the only good part. The starter (Ceviche) was bad, had a fly in it and was only 3 small spoons. Maindish fish was tiny and the fish also has not seen the ocean for ages. Desert (mousse au chocolat) was produced a long time ago then stored in the fridge and tasted like pudding. The buffet restaurant, open almost all day has nice salads but no nice meat or fish. The hole food anywhere is kept very cheap and is really not enjoyable. There is no fruit juice. When we ordered fruit juice they give us sirup. The same for cocktails. Only cheap liquor and no fruit juice, only sirup. Really bad. Every known fastfood chain serves better food and every bar better drinks. Terrible.
Reservations need to be done in the morning and everyday only 1 of the 2 restaurants are open + the buffet place. We heard them sending away people asking in the evening for a space, while the restaurant was fully only 20%. Something really stupid. They just don't want people in those 'expensive' (for them, as included in All Inclusive).

STAFF
In general nice. The Lifeguards around pool and ocean are annoying. They seem to enjoy freedom in taking decisions, such as closing the pool about 2 hours earlier than written everywhere. Same with the ocean - but there you can keep swimming when leaving the property.

We booked 3 nights, today is the second an I am already happy to leave. It is really bad quality and overpriced. The only nice thing was the swimmable beach with pretty clear water for the Pacific.

The internet / WiFi connection is slow and goes on / off every couple of seconds.

Room Tip: In another hotel you will find a better room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SwissTraveller1980
SheratonBijao, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear SwissTraveller1980

First and foremost we would like to apologize for any unpleasant experiences you had in your room and in our restaurants during your stay.

I would like to arrange a time to speak with you directly to discuss all of your concerns. Please contact me directly at (santiago.tapia@sheratonbijao.com).

Santiago Tapia V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Clara
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Hotel Restaurant
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Ho...
#1 of 5 in El Valle de Anton
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!