“Xmas in Sheraton, we loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort

Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Santa Clara
Oulu, Finland
“Xmas in Sheraton, we loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were at Christmas 2013 in Sheraton Bijao one week (this review comes quite late, we know). We liked our ocean view -room. It was very spacy, clean, we had a balcony and view to ocean. Beds were good, bathroom was good and we had always towels.

Pools were just great and the beach too. We walked long time down to the beach and found fishermen and a little village. Beach is very quiet.

We liked restaurants, especially the Mediterranian. There was nice food in the buffet in Christmas Eve and nice show and beach party. Breakfast was fine, but in some tables there was too much sunshine, it was very hot and that's not nice in breakfast. Needs to have tables more in the shadow.

Drinks and wine were good. Some evenings entertainment was nice but some evenings only piano music. We missed something else in addition piano music, maybe band playing local music?

We thank all the staff having nice time in Sheraton. We want to thank especially one of the managers who is from Ecuador. We don't remember his name, but it would be nice you can tell us his name, so we can contact him when we come next time to Sheraton.

Leena y Jouko de Finlandia

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank AmigosdeFinlandia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

For us the 2-week trip was a disappointment. The new airport is 15 min away, but has absolutely no facilities, except toilets. On the way back we had to sit for 3 hours in a room packed with people with our bottled water taken away and nowhere to buy replacement.
The hotel was beautiful with multi-tiered pools and well-maintained plants. The beach is great with lots of chaise-lounges and shade to opt for and life guards to warn you if it's not safe to swim.
I found pleasing that the main restaurant was in open air.
However, the room we were given was not a Deluxe Ocean View we paid for, the first one was facing a wall of the building in front with the side balcony facing the pools. The one we were offered a couple of hours later was facing the rooftops and some ocean behind it. My husband said he wouldn't want to unpack for the third time, so we agreed to it, but it was a huge disappointment and not what they claim to be. On top of that, the night-time entertainment (worse then average) was held mostly in the pool area and the loud music was blasting through shut windows and curtains until 10 p.m. Considering time difference it was 11 pm for my kids, who couldn't sleep in such a noise.
Now issues with milk. In Panama milk of paediatric quality is ultra-pasteurized. If let the younger kids drink lesser quality or diluted one, they stop drinking water and it's dangerous in such a heat. The only tiny on-site shop ran out of milk in a few days and we had to take a taxi to a nearest town to buy milk for our toddler, for it never re-appeared. Not to mention little things, like no ice-cream or cocoa for kids, and nowhere to buy it, except taking taxi to another town. On the week-end the hotel got full of local travellers, who often let their kids run wildly along the hallways well after 11 p.m. with the screams well-heard in our room.
Most of tours were not available due to small number of participants. From available ones we did zip-lining ($115 per person), 2-hour snorkelling from a boat ($60 per person with minimum of 5 participants), and a visit to Anton valley (I don't remember the price). As a tour to Panama City was not available, we were offered a taxi for 8-9 hours for $160, cash only. The driver working for the hotel was a nice guy, but he didn't speak a word of English (it's good I speak Spanish), and didn't seem to know the city well, for we spent about an hour circling around trying to find Reprosa (a jewelry workshop, famous tourist site), and were 45 minutes late for the tour.
Other beach options were to ski jet ($75 for 15 minutes), ski-jet to the island to snorkel (around $100 per hour), dune buggy ride ($80 per hour), and some others.
Rooms were moderately clean, however, I missed the crispiness of clean linen, which they seamed to replace partially, removing only obviously dirty ones. They never once in two weeks cleaned the sink or taps. I didn't mind, I was busy making sure the bottled water, soap, hand towels were replaced, for if I didn't leave a note specifying I needed them, they didn't re-appear and I had to call the Client Services to get them.
The restaurant was good, food of good quality and moderate variety, what surprised us, considering the ocean around, was absence of sea food. Only fish fillets. What they served as Sopa de Mariscos or noodles with seafood, barely contained a shrimp or mussel. No lobster, or crab, nothing in 2 weeks.
We didn't attend any a la carte restaurants, for the wait time there would be beyond my patience limit.
In the restaurant, high chairs were kept in the kitchen and we had to wait for a waiter to bring it, sometimes up to 20 minutes, with a fussy toddler in my lap. And again, it was annoying to repeat 14 X 3 times that I need a high chair. Otherwise the waiters were nice and friendly. But if your tour gets delayed (and it usually does) and you come by the time they are removing dishes, the kitchen staff will literally wrest the spoon from your hands and won't let you get the dish.
Generally, the impression was they don't know what international tourists need, and don't want to know. For the prices they charge one can expect (and gets in other places) way better service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Vera B
Brampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We took a 2 weeks’ vacation in Panama and all our experience was just great.
The room was a good big size and clean.
All staff was extremely pleasant and made us feel good on our stay.
Although there was no night shows like in other resorts we had been so far, here we enjoy every single night on the lobby listening the incredible piano play Mr. Juan Salazar had offered to us entertaining the night with a very nice and relaxing repertories.
The main lobby bar serves the great Spanish coffee you can have.
I have no words to thank the two lovely ladies they serve me and my wife thru the entire vacation on this bar.
Although I see some fussy reviews about the food, I can say the food was great, extremely diverse touching almost every cuisine. Fruits were present on every meal. The pool restaurant had also served food and fruits thru the day.
The Japanese restaurant offers a nice experience were all inside staff made you feel great.
Steak restaurant located close to the beach is also a good choice.
But by far I would say what we enjoy the most was the Olive restaurant (Italian).
How hard I would want to find a complaint about the food, I can't find one. You will see a very frenetic "Jefe" the food and beverage manager of the resort who was serving and cleaning tables among his crew. All his team on the main food court the tiny beautiful girls and two very pleasant young man’s work well to make every client of the resort enjoy their stay.
What made our stay more enjoyable is Ms. Irene Avalos, resort QA Manager. Her kind style of approaching the clients should be a good learning experience for others.
On the day entertainment you will not miss D.O. and Mike whom both are very good to hold the day with games and dance on the beach and pool. D.O. is also an excellent Yoga trainer every morning at 9:30 AM.
The scenery is great; you can walk miles on the beach on each side of resort.
Resort organise great trips. We chose Anton Valley and Emberra Aborigine Village, both trips operated by Aventura 2000.
This trip was a great experience, beautiful memories that just make me feel sad at this time when writing these lines that I am not there anymore.

Room Tip: It is told that the best rooms are in building #4. We get a great room in building #3. To me they a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Oradeanul
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Very nice relaxing family resort. The resort in itself was so beautiful, even the surrounding area with lush green trees and amazing scenery. The rooms and facilities were neat and tidy. I was very satisfied with the food, I especially enjoyed the Japanese restaurant, the Mediterranean restaurant and the barbecue area by the pool . The beach was just a few steps away, again, very beautiful. In terms of service, I would say that it was mediocre, only because it did take a little while for the tables to be reset and for the waiters/waitresses to come. There were definitely waiters/waitresses that were a bit more diligent over others. Though it was difficult at times to speak to the staff (seeing as a majority of them speak little english) they were nevertheless friendly and tried to communicate with us as best as they could. I must say however that the service at the a la carte restaurants were excellent! For the excursions, we ended up going to the city with the other Canadian families at a very reasonable rate where our tour guide Nelis (who was so pleasant and kind) took us around the old and new panama city (where we visited a beautiful church), the shopping mall and the panama canal. I would highly recommend this if you would like a change of scenery, I personally felt very safe. Like I said, its a nice getaway for families, we managed to bond with other Canadian families which made the experience even more enjoyable. There were a few nights where karaoke was being held which was pretty fun, although not many people showed up. Not much of a night life, as there were not a lot younger adults around the hotel. I would most definitely consider going back again! Thank you Sheraton staff + management for making this a fun + relaxing experience for me and my family!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Rebecca D
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

So I'll start by saying, it's no Sheraton--by American standards--I was well aware of this when we booked, which is why I still give it 4 stars. Here's the thing--it's an all inclusive 2 hours from the capital on the coast, in Panama. Overall the resort and grounds are in pretty good shape. The restaurants are meh, the buffet food, was okay to meh, but the little pizza bar was always a good snack. The room was average, but we had a great view of the beach and pools form our 4th floor suite. The bed was very comfortable, but the room was really just for sleeping. Our safe was broken upon arrival--but was fixed after we called the front desk. There was free wi-fi in the lobby which was super useful. The pools were great. There were plenty of pools and enough room that people were spread out. Everything was surprisingly clean and the beach was fantastic! Great white sand--warm water, and a great view.

In terms of all inclusive--it was one of the best I've stayed at--it needs some work on the details--like fixing small broken things in the rooms, and work on the wait staff, and some small landscaping details. Many of the woman who worked there didn't seem to give a crap about you as a guest--the men however, did a very good job and seemed to work hard. It was night and day service between the men and woman which I found odd--typically its the opposite.

If you're looking for a getaway resort that isn't super crowded and doesn't have a hefty price tag--this is a good place to go. It's not 5 stars by any means, and with a little work could be a top notch resort in Panama.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Utah_Birdtographer
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

From the check in process to the check out the staff was amazing. The room is great; large, exceptionally clean and comfortable. I have no understanding as to why the beach resorts have a huge and serious problem with the water pressure in the shower. This resort was no exception. The shower is barely past a trickle. The problem was reported but was not fixed. The food was barely acceptable. What makes no sense is that breakfast buffet on Sunday ends at 10:30am. There is nothing but bread to eat if you decide to sleep in on Sunday after indulging in the night before activities. I do feel the need to highlight three particular people that were exceptional: Sr. Santiago that received us upon check in, Piano Bar Bartender Srta. Cynthia that always had a smile on her face and was very caring and courteous, and the ever pleasant Srta. Irene Avalos that seemed to appear everywhere to make sure we had what was needed and that was in her control. I only wish the shower had a respectable amount of water pressure and that the food choices were more in line with the quality of the resort.

Room Tip: Ask to make sure the shower has enough water pressure in your room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank ldfalco
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

All inclusive!!! I was amazed how trained the workers are. Service impeccable, rooms and suite clean and ..no mildew ....the buffet and everything they cook is great...with the exception of the beach bar...where....it is normal...go..and fry...wings, french fries..and all the rest...but service is impeccable!!! Compliment to the trainer!

Room Tip: Any room or suite...but it is important to speak the language to get the service you want!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tom p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Clara
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Hotel Restaurant
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Ho...
#1 of 5 in El Valle de Anton
Hotel Campestre
Hotel Campestre
#2 of 5 in El Valle de Anton
Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!