“Stay here! We loved it . .”
Review of Currant Ridge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McCarthy
Currant Ridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This was a great place to stay! We had a one bedroom cabin. Very clean, seems very new. It wa a nice place to stay for a few days with a kitchen and grill (pick up groceries in Anchorage or Glennallen). Cynthia and her husband Andy were excellent hosts -- very nice.

I would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We just spent two nights at these cabins and they were beautiful! They are much nicer than your standard Alaskan "cabin"! New, clean, comfortable... with a great kitchen and grill. We could have easily stayed longer. We thoroughly enjoyed exploring McCarthy and Kennicott, and these cabins worked well as a home base. The owners were very friendly, helpful, and welcoming. We would recommend these cabins to others, and we hope that we can return at some point as well.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I loved staying at this place. A friend of mine discovered this for a trip to take visiting Alaska this summer. It did not disappoint. It was a long drive coming from Anchorage. When I arrived, Cynthia and one of her sons quickly helped me check in and showed me to my cabin, along with answering seemingly dozens of questions about what to try to visit over the next two days I enjoyed the national park.

Otherwise, the scenery is wonderful and quiet. I had a very clean cabin and the kitchen looked very new too!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2011

If you don't mind being just a few miles from McCarthy and being able to drive right-up to your cabin, this is the place. CLEAN CABIN, very new, well appointed with a well equipped kitchen. As others have suggested if you intend to stay a few days and cook in your cabin, bring the food with you. We found the resturants in McCarthy to be good. We found McCarthy and Kennecott a great place to visit and tour. The only complaint was the pullout couch was not really suitable for a full size person, the immediate offer of a blow up mattress, was well received. We only spent one night, but I could easily see a 4-5 night stay being really pleasant. By the way the drive in on McCarthy Road was no problem, we drove about 35-45 miles an hour; about a 2 hour trip. The cost seemed on par with the rest of our Alaska vacation. The Schidner's are lovely hard-working people.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Smedzoo
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed for three nights at the Currant Ridge Cabins, more precisely, in their Gilahina cabin, and enjoyed it very much. The scenery is great and you have absolute quiet. The owners are extremely friendly and helpful and have a gorgeous well-behaved husky who might visit you on your balcony. You can tell the cabins are still very new. Their electricity gets produced by the owners, mostly using solar cells. The Gilahina cabin has a huge living room with a couch, rocking chair, table, chairs and a fully equipped kitchen complete with gas stove, big fridge, and all kinds of pots and tableware you could possibly need. There is also a grill on the (big) balcony. The bathroom is huge with a shower/bathtub. Note that the cabin will not get cleaned during your stay. I would have liked to have had a bit more than the minimum amount of towels at my disposal as my towel was still wet whenever I wanted to use it again. On the other hand, I'm sure I'd have gotten more towels if I hadn't been too lazy to go and ask for them - but it would have been nice to have had them from the start. The bedroom is somewhat smaller and has an unusually high queen bed. Unfortunately, I learned to hate this bed as lying in it made me feel like lying on a creaking rheumatic while at the same time wobbling pudding (as absurd as this may sound) and I slept very poorly. This is of course a matter of personal taste and depends on whether you easily have trouble sleeping (which I obviously do). The cabins are located outside of McCarthy. To get to McCarthy you have to drive a couple of miles and park in front of the footbridge, cross over it and walk 10min to McCarthy or wait for the shuttle bus (5 dollar fee). Note that there are only two places to eat in McCarthy and a rather poorly equipped general store so you should bring your own breakfast and maybe other foods from outside the Wrangell St. Elias NP.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fiuluzh
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Rarely have I experienced suchj a polite welcome, friendly atmosphere, AND great value in bush Alaska (an I've lived here 50 years!). The owner even allowed our dog to stay with us (wouldn't plan on that every time, though!)

The cabin was exceptionally clean -- kitchen utilities excellent, sleep superb!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David G
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Our family of 5 traveled to McCarthy late July 2011 and staying in one cabin for four evenings was more than spacious. The Shidner were great hosts and helped out with local recommendations and tips on the best hikes and tours. The cabins were well stocked with pots/pans and all necessary utensils, as well as a grill which we used heavily. Clean, comfortable and perfect for a rustic vacation. The kitchen was ready for use with a refrigerator and stove/oven. Highly recommended!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank steve b

Been to Currant Ridge? Share your experiences!