“Sweet Cabin, Awesome View!!”
Review of Currant Ridge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McCarthy
Currant Ridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Sweet Cabin, Awesome View!!”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I loved this spacious and clean cabin. The deck and gas grill were great. It is very quiet and has great mountain views. My favorite part was Sable, our "cabin dog". She came to visit often, taking naps on our deck and making us feel at home. The only complaint was being the third wheel and having to sleep on the uncomfortable hide-a-bed. I quickly rendered the situation, but putting the matress on the floor. I had a great night sleep, but was wishing I had the bedroom :)! I would definitely come back. The owners are great and I could of talked to Andy all day! Wish we had more time there. The only thing on our wish list is a toaster.

Room Tip: Put the sofa sleeper matress on the floor for a more comfortable night sleep.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LizzyD16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Eagle River, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This was our second time at Currant Ridge. We came back. There it is. The cabins are modern, very comfortable and very convenient to the McCarthy-Kennicott area. There are other cabins that are closer, but none more comfortable as far as I can tell. We were there with four people and two dogs. We had a one BR cabin, but were provided with a blow-up bed that was quite comfortable and nice linens. The kitchen was well-equipped so we were able to make our dinners and breakfasts there and save the expense of eating in town. Well behaved dogs are welcome if the owners are equally well behaved and pick up after them. We have been going to McCarthy-Kennicott for years and this is our first choice for places to stay in the area. I would recommend it highly. There is no toaster. Learn to fry your bread.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
, Owner at Currant Ridge, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
We totally appreciate our guests writing reviews for our business. I felt compelled to respond to one point the reviewer made in regards to the absence of a toaster. We are off the electric grid here and we make our own power through a combination of photo-voltaic panels and a diesel fired generator. We purposely don't provide electric appliances such as toasters, irons, hair dryers or microwave ovens because of the significant electric consumption associated with them. To date in 2012, we have had to run our generator for only 9 hours to compensate for the lack of sunshine. We are very proud of our commitment to being as green as possible and hope that the minor inconvenience of using the propane broiler or stove top is worth it to our customers.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This place is new (4-5 years), very nice, VERY GREEN (both meanings of the word), spacious well-equipped cabins with full kitchen, good privacy, beautiful views from your windows, easy access from car (but check for accessibility). Not cheap (185$) but for Alaska (and McCarthy) the value is very good – in most cases you get significantly less than that for this price. Seems to be the best value in McCarthy – take it, and better for at least 2 nights!
There is no WiFi in cabins, only in the office. Although they noticed it in advance, for me this is usually a reason not to rate 5* (they could – and still can – easily arrange it; not a big deal); however, it was really good and the owner told me he consider to arrange WiFi for 2013, so I give them 5*.
Note that because they are so green, and have solar electricity, some basic electric equipment is not there and not allowed (microwave, hair dryer, etc.) – for us it was OK, there is a fridge and the other stuff is working with gas.
For getting to McCarthy itself you have to drive about 2 miles, park (5$ for calendar day), cross the pedestrian 2 bridges… However, for us it was better than doing it with our luggage to a hotel in McCarthy itself. Note that the grocery is there too, so bring with you everything you need for the kitchen etc.
Note also that the road is quite rough. Not a problem for AWD/4WD vehicle (allow 3 hours for driving from Chitina, including some stops), but more problematic with regular car although possible if it’s not too low (with some risk; allow 4 hours in that case, and verify road conditions in advance).

(If you’ve found this review helpful, you can let me and others know it by clicking the green Yes below)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Avi O
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This was a great place to stay! We had a one bedroom cabin. Very clean, seems very new. It wa a nice place to stay for a few days with a kitchen and grill (pick up groceries in Anchorage or Glennallen). Cynthia and her husband Andy were excellent hosts -- very nice.

I would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We just spent two nights at these cabins and they were beautiful! They are much nicer than your standard Alaskan "cabin"! New, clean, comfortable... with a great kitchen and grill. We could have easily stayed longer. We thoroughly enjoyed exploring McCarthy and Kennicott, and these cabins worked well as a home base. The owners were very friendly, helpful, and welcoming. We would recommend these cabins to others, and we hope that we can return at some point as well.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I loved staying at this place. A friend of mine discovered this for a trip to take visiting Alaska this summer. It did not disappoint. It was a long drive coming from Anchorage. When I arrived, Cynthia and one of her sons quickly helped me check in and showed me to my cabin, along with answering seemingly dozens of questions about what to try to visit over the next two days I enjoyed the national park.

Otherwise, the scenery is wonderful and quiet. I had a very clean cabin and the kitchen looked very new too!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Woodbridge
Reviewed 14 September 2011

If you don't mind being just a few miles from McCarthy and being able to drive right-up to your cabin, this is the place. CLEAN CABIN, very new, well appointed with a well equipped kitchen. As others have suggested if you intend to stay a few days and cook in your cabin, bring the food with you. We found the resturants in McCarthy to be good. We found McCarthy and Kennecott a great place to visit and tour. The only complaint was the pullout couch was not really suitable for a full size person, the immediate offer of a blow up mattress, was well received. We only spent one night, but I could easily see a 4-5 night stay being really pleasant. By the way the drive in on McCarthy Road was no problem, we drove about 35-45 miles an hour; about a 2 hour trip. The cost seemed on par with the rest of our Alaska vacation. The Schidner's are lovely hard-working people.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Smedzoo

Been to Currant Ridge? Share your experiences!