“Thoroughly delightful!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McCarthy
Kennicott River Lodge
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in July 2013 and loved it. Brad and his employee, Jamie, were so welcoming and helpful and accomodating. Brad even suggested that we stay in a lodge room instead of the cabin we'd originally booked since there was a vacancy, and it would be more convenient to bathroom, kitchen, etc. A spectacular view of the surrounding mountains & glaciers from the front porch and large kitchen window. Large, fully equipped kitchen where you're welcome to prepare meals if you want to save money (bring your own food - virtually nothing available in McCarthy). We loved the funky town of McCarthy, and this lodge was so convenient to the town - just a very short walk to teh footbridge. If we ever return to Alaska, McCarthy and Kennicott River Lodge would be on our must-visit list!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kennicott River Lodge

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Our family of 4 stayed at the Kennicott River Lodge and Hostel for 3 nights. We had a private cottage that could have slept up to 6 people. It is definitely rustic but the beds were comfortable, the views and attractions were unbeatable if you like the outdoors and being active, and the owner, Brad and his associate, Jamie were very hospitable and helpful. Bring your own food if you plan on staying for more that a day, because there is no grocery store in McCarthy and the lodge has a small stove, fridge and pantry that you can stock with your own stuff. There are a few utensils, plates, cups, etc. but I would recommend bringing paper items with your groceries as it is way easier and who wants to do dishes on vacation anyway?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mamasmurf9
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed here in 2012, while visiting McCarthy. It was a fabulous experience. The view is spectacular and I still see it when i close my eyes. I am a NYC lady and I loved being "just close enough" to nature with plumbing and the convenience of the kitchen.. Everything is spotlessly clean. Brad is a most gracious host.

Room Tip: My advise would be to just ask Brad and give him an idea of what works for you. Also, book early to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2012

The cabins here were the best I have ever stayed in. I stayed in Cabin 1. It was very well built, clean and comfortable. It was a short walk to the main building where there were shared kitchen facilities. There was a private guide with a large family that was always in there tying up the facility. In the same area was the only inside shower. Behind this area on the outside was two showers/bathrooms but it was not lighted. The upstairs was occupied by summer workers. The view from the front porch of the main building was breaktaking. There was a generator running but it wasn't too noisy. The generator struggled if there were people in the kitchen cooking.

This has nothing to do with the property but wanted to share this experience. If you are flying in on a plane and staying here, there is nothing convenient. We had nothing to drink or eat, no cooler because we couldn't take this on the bush plane. If you walk out onto the road and turn right there is a small grill about a mile down on the left. The other option is to walk to the footbridge and catch the shuttle into McCarthy or Kennicott. If we had driven our stay would have been much more enjoyable. If flying in I recommend staying in McCarthy or at Kennicott Glacier Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank outbackpaul
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Recently stayed here with our family of 5. We stayed in a cabin away from the main lodge and had a great experience. Rustic for sure, but that's what we were looking for. The lodge offers everything you would want despite making its own power, water, etc... The location and view can't be beat, and we loved it for that reason alone. We only stayed two nights and regret not having planned for more time. The shared kitchen and bathroom facilities are adequate, but again that's not what we came for. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PierreCJ
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We were fortunate to stay here the two nights before our fly-in back country adventure and the night we came out. After looking at the other accommodation choices in and around McCarthy -- which, honestly, aren't bad -- we patted ourselves on the back for choosing Brad's place.

The location -- with a stunning view of the glacier and the surrounding mountains, and a great 20-min. walk across the footbridge to McCarthy -- are just two of the advantages. Our bed and room were clean and very comfortable. The kitchen was clean, spacious and well-equipped. The big 2nd floor common area was great spot to relax.

Finally, Brad is a warm, genuinely nice guy. Ask anybody in town. Try to go when it's open mic night at the saloon in McCarthy. It's a hoot. Brad often gets down with the regulars with a mean harmonica.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I stayed in the lodge room with two twin beds and would not recommend it. One bed had hair on the sheets and pillow, leading me to believe the sheets hadn't been changed. I didn't look too closely at the other bed because I knew I had to sleep in it regardless. The lamp in the room didn't work, nor did the light in the lodge entryway, and there was no light in the shower room. The closet was filled with the owner's (presumably) outdoors gear. My room shared an adjoining door to the other lodge room and there were towels stuffed underneath, presumably to block out light/sound. My room was also surrounded by the kitchen and showers with no soundproofing. When I turned off the light to sleep, light streamed in through the corners of the walls.

The upstairs lodge room, intended as a common room for all guests, was inhabited by someone and all their gear. Thankfully, I was only here for one night before switching to lodging in McCarthy. Sounds like the cabins might offer a different experience if you decide to book here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Been to Kennicott River Lodge? Share your experiences!