“OUR GO TO LODGING IN MCCARTHY!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McCarthy
Kennicott River Lodge
Anchorage, Alaska
“OUR GO TO LODGING IN MCCARTHY!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was our annual trek to McCarthy for a girl's weekend trip and Brad, as always was awesome! We stayed in the hostel cabin with 6 bunks and the price works out to $30 per night for each of us. A real steal! Accomodations are rustic but there are hot showers and a new outhouse next to the cabin (with lights!), a community lodge, huge firepit, sauna, and AMAZING views of the glacier. Alaska at its finest! Brad even provides towels for the showers in case you forgot yours. So grab a sleeping bag, give Brad a call and book your bunk now! See you next year, Brad!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beth B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our group of eleven Anchorage hikers found Brad's cabins and shared kitchen Perfect! the views from the cabins and grounds are incredible - Stairway Icefall, Kennecott mill buildings across the Glacier, mountains, and wildflowers. The facility has 3 hot showers, 2 toilets with running water, and 2 outhouses. Owner Brad and staff Jamie run a clean facility and are gracious with advice about activities. McCarthy is easy 15 min walk and it is great to drive up to your cabin with luggage. We used the outdoor propane BBQ and inside stove to prepare meals. Kitchen table seats 12. The small refrigerator can hold a few items, but best Bring a cooler with a few packs of gel ice - rotate gel packs in the freezer each day to keep your foods cold. FUN, awesome place! comfortable beds, nice sized cabins, fair prices. we'll be back.

Room Tip: Cabins are wonderful for up to 4. The lofts are fun for older kids or active adults (you need to cli...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed in the loft room for one night and the cabin for the other night since loft room was booked for the other night we were in McCarthy. the lodge is fairly close to the town(less than 30min walk) and on your way you will pass a stream which we were told has the best water in the area. Brad and people were among the coolest and most helpful people we met during our 2 weeks trip to Alaska and also the fellow travelers staying in their lodge had similar unique and interesting personality too :D
The best part about this place is all the rooms and cabins have a stunning glacier view. specially if you are staying in the loft room you'll have a huge balcony where you can sip your wine and stare at this amazing view for hours.
They also have a gas grill and a bonfire with couple of handmade wooden benches around it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The view is amazing....and the place was pretty clean. I think my mistake was staying in the lodge instead of a cabin. The walls are so thin that you're at the mercy of the others using the kitchen, the bathroom, and the other lodge room. One night was great, but the other night I heard everyone....loud people talking very late in adjacent room, early wakers in the kitchen...
I would stay here again, but go to a cabin. I would also bring a flashlight to get to bathrooms. I didn't think I'd need one since I was at the lodge, but it was really dark out.

Bathrooms were clean.
Chilled out atmosphere.

Room Tip: In a cabin...not lodge.
1 Thank Cdnclan
San Diego, California
Reviewed 25 August 2013

If you stay here you're going to wake up, walk out the door, and be staring at a glacier (covered in moraine - but still). The location is beautiful and I felt the rates were reasonable. I stayed in the dormitory/hostel and found the mattresses to be comfortable. You can easily walk to town (15 minutes) or take the shuttle.

A few things to note/expect
- You bring your own sleeping bag/pillow
- There is no electricity in the cabins
- You will need to be comfortable using a pit toilet during the overnight hours 10p-7a
- The kitchen is stocked with all of the cookware/plates you'd need to prepare a meal so bring stuff to cook
- The gas heat in the cabins is delightful - especially given how cold and raw McCarthy is - even in August.
- Brad is such a nice guy as is Jamie. They go out of their way to help you. I got a flat tire while on the property and Jamie personally called over to a guy in town (a town of 35 people) who patch flats and got the guy to work on my tire at 8pm so that I could leave early the next morning.
- There is no wifi on site but if you walk across the bridge into "downtown" McCarthy, you can buy some (satellite?) wifi.

Room Tip: They're all good. Everything looks out onto the glacier with Kennecott in the distance.
2 Thank ectothegecko
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I hate to rave about this place because then next time I go back it will be crowded. Brad and Jamie were awesome help and the cabins all faced their million dollar view of the glacier. great place to hang your hat for the night. Cant wait to go back soon!

1 Thank Andrew P
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The cabins were what we needed. I didn't want to spend a fortune staying at Kennicott Glacier Lodge & wasn't ready to camp with 4 kids (ages 5-10) with my husband. This was a reasonable option. Luckily I had read enough to realize that I needed to bring food since you're far away from anything. We were able to grill out burgers shortly after our arrival. I brought breakfast & lunch stuff & then we ate at McCarthy Lodge one night. The fridge is very small to share with fellow travelers & I had to keep some stuff in a cooler. A group came after our first day & it got pretty crowded in the kitchen. There are 2 bathrooms & 3 showers to share. I didn't have much trouble getting in, but I took that into account when planning to get ready. Brad was very nice. The views were wonderful. We stayed in a cabin & it was nice & quiet. Also no electricity in the cabins. There is heat & a light. It was fine but you can't charge cameras or anything. I took them to the bathroom to charge while I was getting ready in the mornings.

Room Tip: The rooms could get noisy if there's a group there. Cabins are more private.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JeanneBramer

Been to Kennicott River Lodge? Share your experiences!