“Wrangell Mountain Air trip”

Wrangell Mountain Air - Day Trips
Ranked #3 of 7 things to do in McCarthy
More attraction details
Owner description: Wrangell Mountain Air is based at McCarthy in the heart of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. We offer day trips and 3 scheduled flight daily from Chitina (at the end of the paved road) to McCarthy-Kennicott, flightseeing tours in the best of Wrangell-St. Elias and fly-in backpacking, basecamping and rafting. There are a range of accomodations and activities available at McCarthy-Kennicott so plan on spending a day or two to enjoy the feel of remote Alaskan towns.
Hudson, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Wrangell Mountain Air trip”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had an amazing trip into the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park with the Wrangell Mountain Air group. Our pilot was very enjoyable and made us feel at ease throughout the flight into the park. When we landed in McCarthy, we walked around the little town, then were taken (via a shuttle bus) to the town of Kennicott where we went on a wonderful tour of the town as well as the copper mine. Fascinating day trip!

Visited June 2014

los angeles
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Excellent pilots, beautiful views”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We flew from Chitina to Wrangell St Elias park and back on their small planes. Both Bill (our pilot going out) and Austin (coming back) went out of their way to make us comfortable and safe, and to point out the scenery and wildlife along the way. In case you're worried about motion sickness, both my friend and I are very prone to it, but we were fine on both flights.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank mayasl
Bothell, Washington
“Experience of a lifetime”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was lucky enough to book a flightseeing tour of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve with Wrangell Mountain Air. When the two other people on my flight cancelled, they asked me if I wanted to tag along on a flight to drop off and pick up hiking parties in the interior of the park. How could I refuse??? Wrangell Mountain Air picked me up at the footbridge outside of McCartney and soon the adventure began. Sitting in the co-pilot’s seat I experienced two brush landings, getting out each time and taking more photos. If you want to explore Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve, you simply can’t go wrong with the great folks at Wrangell Mountain Air.

Bellingham, Washington
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We chose to van from Chitina to McCarthy and fly out so that we could experience as much of the park as possible in a short stay with no backpacking and multiple transportation modes. We'd fly both directions next time.

Wrangell Mountain Air is a model of customer service with clean planes that are serviced before your very eyes before they leave McCarthy. Even though "out of the park" isn't normally treated as their "scenic" direction, we were treated to absolutely inspiring views.

In my opinion, if you want to be transported anywhere in Wrangell-St. Elias, be it a glacier or a camping spot or an airport, use these guys.

Reno, Nevada
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Can't wait to go again!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I did the day trip into McCarthy and Kennicott. My pilot Bill was great and very informative. He was right on time to pick me up at Chitina and on time again to leave from McCarthy.