Ma Johnson's Hotel
All reviewsacross the streetfine diningthe ownerma johnson'sunique experiencetiny roomone of a kindcouple of nightsopen mic nightno electricityneillobbysaloontownalaskashuttlecharm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Great place and experience! Was a very fun stay in McCarthy, with lots of fun activities and people to meet. Is a town with a population of 45, so lower your expextations for modern luxury and prepare for a trip into Alaska's wild past! The hotel, saloon, and fancy restaurant are all same owner and very well taken care of and high quality. We stayed in the annex(old brothel lol). The room is completely authentic, which means very small, but the beds were comfortable and there were nice shades( critical with midnight sun). Place was very clean, but no power outlets in room. Shared bathroom was meticulously cared for. Staff were very nice and accomodating. We ate at both the saloon and fancy restaurant, both were great. The fancy restaurant is a real class act. I had some of the best salmon ever, a big surprise in such a small place. Both food and service were world class. If you want an authentic Alaskan experience look no further. This is the place!!

Also, the whole town runs off copper valley wifi, which sells Internet on a daily/weekly basis directly from your device. Not sure how I did it but I got free wifi the whole time!! I made a login name/password with the company, then when it took me to the page to select a payment plan, I just closed my browser(without selecting one or paying). Then when I logged in using the username/password I created I had free wifi the whole trip!! Not sure if it was a temporary thing or not but give it a try!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I usually don't care for shared bathroom accommodations but Ma Johnson's was pleasant enough. We stayed there on a spur of the moment trip to McCarthy and were happy to get a room. The room was very small, it reminded me of a boutique hotel room in NYC, and didn't feel very private due to thin walls but it was clean and the staff was friendly. And the Golden Saloon is just out the front door.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

McCarthy - its all about the experience and that means lodging at Ma Johnson's or in the annex, which used to be a brothel. Small rooms, thin walls, one bathroom for people - but chalk it up to a good time and imagine its the early 1900s in a Copper-mining rush! The real Hotel (next to the ex-brothel) has a lobby which is a 'living musuem' - looks just like it might have when the miners vacated in 1938.

None of the rooms have outlets, so you need to charge your devices in the lobby. None of the rooms have keys, but no need to worry - the local jail cell in down the street in case anyone chooses to lift your camera.

Towels, bathrobes, slippers were lovely. Front desk staff were lovely. Everything about McCarthy was lovely.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I have lived in AK for 30 years. I can not believe it took me so long to discover McCarthy! It is rustic yet has the modern necessities - including Internet if you just can't bear to un plug!

We came here to do a rafting trip with McCarthy river tours &outfitters (also amazing!) and stayed @ Ma J's. When I booked they explained it was a walk into the past and was boarding room style - we had our own room but shared bath and showers. My partner was not crazy about the bathroom situation but it worked out just fine. In fact, I do not think I would stay any other place because of the authentic experience in an old-time (really well taken care of and very clean) boarding house. This will be on my destination itinary for all of my family and friends who visit us in the future.

A special NOTE: I have a medical devise that needs to be plugged in at night and did not realize the rooms do NOT have electrical outlets. However the staff were so accomdating and ran an extension cord to our room - and made sure it was propperly (safely) secured.

BOTTOM LINE: I have lived in both rural and urban AK - including an island & a community off the road system where everything had to be flown or barged in. McCarthy is the perfect combination of both then and now to allow you to comfortably experience Alaska in a way that Denali or a day of fishing can not do! Though I highly reccomed these destinattion experiences too! McCarthy is a must see - and you should plan for more than two days if you can.

The staff were super and the town charming. We plan to visit again next year for the 4th of July. We are already looking forward to it. Next year we want to see the glacier up close and hike to it - it was just so beautiful!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria99502
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Thanks to everyone is McCarthy for showing my girlfriend and I the most amazing time. Not for the unadventurous type, and watch out for mosquitoes but holy smokes what a great time. The hotel service was impeccable, and all the staff we encountered were proud, knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating. Vegan friendly (somewhat), no AT&T service but you will be out on the water, or on a glacier, or in a plane or something anyways.
Definitely go on the flight seeing tour. Kelley his wife, Don, Bill and all the pilots were amazing. The best sights I've ever seen in my life.
Patty at the hotel is very friendly, there is a bar, grocery store, shopping, and 2 restaurants very close and Kennecot is a shuttle ride away which doubles your options.

Room Tip: Mamma Johnson's is nice and quiet, centrally located
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple