“keeps getting better!”

Wild Alpine - Day Tours
Ranked #4 of 7 things to do in McCarthy
More attraction details
Owner description: Unsurpassed day trips and multi-day adventures plus gear rentals and outdoor equipment store in Wrangell-St Elias National Park. May thru September, enjoy guided glacier hikes and ice climbing instruction, fly-in backpacking treks, alpine climbing and skiing expeditions. November thru March: guided backcountry ski touring, ice and alpine climbing in the Chugach Range. March thru May: truly unparalleled spring skiing and climbing trips in the Wrangell, St Elias and Chugach Ranges. Wild Alpine operates the only retail sales and rental gear shop in the McCarthy-Kennecott area of Wrangell-St Elias National Park. Choose Wild Alpine for all your backcountry needs: Patagonia, Smartwool, Black Diamond, Rab, MSR, Therm-A-Rest, and others. Rent mountain bikes, glacier hiking crampons, satellite phones, sleeping pads, tents, mountaineering boots and other necessities to enhance your human-powered adventure of a lifetime!
Boise, Idaho
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“keeps getting better!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just got back from another Ski Week in the Wrangells w/ the Wild Alpine crew... outstanding! Great guides, accommodations, food, scenery, skiing... the whole shabang!

Visited April 2014

Brevard, NC
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“awesome day ice climbing with Ed”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We had a great time today climbing Five Fingers with Ed. He was super easy going, fun, positive, and professional. It was so much fun and the views from the top...WOW! Wild Alpine is the way to go if you want to learn to ice climb near Girdwood!

Visited March 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
“Solid Guides...Great Adventure!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

A group of us were asked by a friend if we'd like to go ice climbing. Ice Climbing was on of the items on my list of skills to start developing before I'm off to my next adventure in another part of the world. When we met the group, they were great. They were all knowledgeable, helpful, and patient, with the newbies. I had belaying experience and they let me use that to help set up better more routes. We had a great day on the side of the mountain on a routes that were appropriate for beginners and but had options for more advanced climbing if you wanted to give it a go. Strongly recommend them for any sort of outdoor adventuring you want to get into.

Oregon City, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Advanced Ice/Mixed Exceeded Expectations: Pilsner Pillar”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Ed and Dasan's familiarity with what was 'in,' easily accessible, and understanding our needs, minimized guesswork so we made best use of our time. Great experience, exactly what we wanted! Thanks

2 Thank Charles G
Bakersfield, California
“Beginning Ice Climbing at the Five Fingers (Winter)”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Learning how to ice climb at the five fingers with Ed was a great experience. I'm rather amazed at how easy it was to learn. I was staying at the Hilton in Anchorage, got picked up with my friend by Ed, and was taken to the Five Fingers to start my very first Ice Climbing adventure. It's unreal how beautiful and awesome it is out in the Mountains near Anchorage.

I thought Ed was great at giving an introduction to ice climbing techniques. After that he let me loose on the ice, and I got to put that instruction to use. I climbed until I felt like my arms would fall off, and had an awesome time. Before I only had experience with rock climbing, but now I'll eagerly await the next opportunity that comes by for climbing ice. I can't wait to try out ice climbing in the summer!