“Pristine”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kennicott
Kennicott Glacier Lodge
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This lodge in the middle of Wrangell St Elias National park is the crown jewel. If you go to Alaska and miss this national park, you have missed the most beautiful place in Alaska. Kennicott is easy to access by Wrangel Air Service or a 3 hr ride on a dirt road. It is on the site of an old copper mine, and a beautiful glacier. Your room has a panoramic view of the Chugach Range, and the Wrangell Mountains. The food plan here is reasonable, and the finest I've eaten in a long time. The portions are huge, and you will gain weight. The service is fabulous. It is pristine clean. If you do not explore this area, you've missed something very special.

Room Tip: Your fitness center is the great outdoors.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Katheethecamper

Reviewed 31 May 2012

My Mom has stayed here before and told me I have to see this place. Okay, so you have to drive 33 miles off the hwy to Chitina, then a pothole/single lane bridges road (60 miles) to McCarthy, then walk a footbridge and then get the lodge shuttle but it's somehow worth it. Nice place. Room was huge and nicely furnished. The young girl driving the shuttle was really nice and seemed like a sweet person, especially to my Mom. She pointed out a lynx on our drive and we had never seen one in the wild before so we got some photos. Dinner was good, but I'm not a fan of dining with others and chatting and passing around the dishes (not that I'm mean I just want to eat). We had prime rib. Dessert was nice. We walked around the mine area-which is pretty cool. What was odd was after dinner they give you what looks like a bill (but mine was prepaid) where they put the amounts on it. I couldn't figure out if it was for a tip or not, then I read that you should tip after your stay. That was confusing. I did tip like I normally do. You do have to get the blowdryer from the lobby but that's okay. No tv, no phone but that's not what this place is about. Oh, we stayed in the lodge part with the private baths. Some rooms have shared baths, we opted for privacy.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank proftravlr
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My wife and I stayed at Kennicott 15 years ago and loved it so much that when we were planning our family trip to Alaska with our two boys for this past summer, Kennicott was the one MUST DO location. We were not disappointed!

First off, it's not as remote as it used to be. 15 years ago, the road to McCarthy was very rough and you didn't pass anyone in or out. This time we passed several cars/trucks, a few more houses were along the way, a remote landing strip next to the road with a helicopter and a small store, even a campground near the end of the road - all new stuff since our last trip. The road is easily passable in a small suv, you don't even need 4wd. The road in is definitely the way you want to travel in. You see so much wild-life and incredible views. It only took about 2.5 hours to drive from Chitina and we took our time. The hotel has also improved in 15 years. They added the southern building, where we stayed. The rooms were great with a nice bathroom & shower! Not a large room but very comfortable for being 60 miles from nowhere. The food was outstanding! The staff were all friendly and very helpful. No internet, cell phone, or TV was available anywhere. While the kids and I had some technology withdrawl symptoms, my wife was very happy! She kept laughing at me because I kept my cell phone on me the whole time - "just in case"!!!

One big change in 15 years was the town. Last time we were here you couldn't go into the buildings (legally anyway). Now, the national park has taken over and you can go with a tour through the 14 story mill. Our two boys loved climbing down all the stairs and looking in all the dark spaces. It was a great tour. Another big change was the local adventure guides have gone professional! Last time we were here the guides were essentially hippies who camped out in the abandoned buildings and smelled something awful! Our two glacier guides were the most courteous and knowledgeable guides you could ever hope to find (and didn't smell!). One was even a former biochemical engineer who decided to drop-out of mainstream society and work in Alaska. They were just great guys! If you ask our boys what they remember most about Alaska or what they liked most, they will tell you "Walking On The Glacier!!!".

I don't think I could write enough about Kennicott Glacier Lodge itself. The place is simply awesome. If you like out-of-the-way places that are truly exciting, this is the place to go. Make sure you stay at least 3 nights (2 full days) and don't miss the half-day glacier tour, full day river rafting trip with the airplane ride back to McCarthy, and the evening Mill tour. If you stay longer, take some hikes up to the old mines. One Hint - Bring a second camera battery and extra data cards - you will need them! Lots of history in the area.... We'll be back again....Hope to see you!!!!

Room Tip: We have stayed in both the old section and the new South Lodge. I suggest staying in the new South...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TheFlyingFamily
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed in Chitina the night before so we could get up early & do the 60 mile drive on the gravel/mud McCarthy Road to the footbridge across the Kennicott River, where we'd get a ride to the lodge. The road is an old railroad passage that went back to the historic Kennicott Mine.Found out rental agencies won't insure you on this road, but it was fine, for the most part; no altercations.
Once there, we checked into the newer part of the lodge with private baths. The main lodge was built in 1987, and the newer section in 2004. We loved this place. At night, you could hear the glacier moving. By day it was a stunning, mountainous vista. We took a tour of that amazing old mine and did a glacier hike; had our crampons on and a packed lunch and all enjoyed the day in a small group led by St. Elias Guides.
Dinner is European style seating, so we got to meet people from all over. The meals were all quite delicious, and the staff friendly and helpful.
The location is what makes this gem so unique and we would love to visit again someday!

Room Tip: the newer section has private baths; the main lodge has shared baths
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J F
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We did not stay in the lodge, but we ate lunches and dinners there. The food was great - rustic, wholesome and plentiful portions. The lunch menu is small but very tasty. We particularly enjoyed joining the regular guests for the large, family-style set menu dinners the lodge provides each night. During the day they will post the evening,s menu, and if space is available you can join them for the meal. Food is served family style and while is technically limited, we were able to eat several portions of everything. The long tables full of guests allow you to meet and mingle with other travelers and the atmosphere is congenial. A great place to eat and relax!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lilly C
Reviewed 22 August 2011

This is the most beautiful place. Surrounded by mountains and glaciers and must drive 60 miles on a gravel road that takes 3 hours each way. There won't be many people there. Its rugged yet beautiful. We have been to every state and couldn't decide where we wanted to get married. Didn't want the cliche beach wedding on an island and when we spent the summers in Alaska, we knew this would be the place. In Alaska, anyone can marry you if you fill out the paperwork and we had a lady that works at the lodge marry us. It happened to be a day she was supposed to do the cooking and when she was going to change, we told her no...and she married us in her chef's clothes! They even have a huge rock on property called the marraige rock..it's shaped like a heart. There is communal dining and you definately want to stay the night here and get the meal package. The food is very good. The next day, they will pack you a very nice lunch if you are going hiking or if your leaving or you can eat in dining room. Very laid back and attentive staff. In Main Lodge, you share a bathroom/shower and as soon as we walked out, they were inside cleaning it up. I would go back again and again. The Ghost town/old copper mine is just icing on the cake. Which the chef made us a nice carrot cake for dinner to share on the day we got married and when we return on anniversary, she did the same. Can't say enough good things! Just go experience it yourself!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nolaqueen
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We knew what we were getting into when we booked at the older part of the Kennicott Glacier Lodge - basic room, no phone, no TV , cold water at the sink in the room and shared toilets and showers. So, the accommodations were no surprise. If you feel that you need more amenities, book a room in the new section that has private baths.

Luckily, we were there early in the season so there were never any waits for the shared toilets and showers. I suspect that this might be a problem later in the season if the place were full as there are not many toilets or showers.

The reason that the place worked for us is that you are in Kennicott for the surroundings, the glacier, the historic town and the mill and there are no alternatives unless you want to stay in McCarthy.

Meals are served family style and were very tasty but are not cheap and the choices are limited. However, when you consider that all supplies have to be brought into the lodge over a long distance, the high food prices are understandable.

Service was good and the staff was very friendly.

We did the Mill tour which was excellent. It is also the only way that you can get in the inside of the mill. I also did the half day glacier hike which I enjoyed.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Been to Kennicott Glacier Lodge? Share your experiences!