“STUNNING excellence in the middle of nowhere.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kennicott
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The kennicot copper mine is about as remote as it gets in alaska, yet after decades of mining for copper, a flawless diamond stands as look-out over its historic past.
That diamond is the KGL ! I had lunch there as part of my fly in tour from chitina.
Soup, cabbage with reindeer: This was a lovely vegetable broth, both sweet and savory from properly sweated cabbage, adorned with carrot, potato, nice little nuggets of reindeer sausage and garnished with fresh chive, not green onion, not freeze dried replacements, actual fresh chive !
This same attention to detail permeated every facet of my lunch experience.
The daily special rosemary beef stew on angel hair;
This was well utilized prime rib from a previous evening, yet it was uniformly trimmed into proper spoon-size pieces, and obviously seasoned and sauteed for its renewal.
The angel hair was tender, trimmed for spoon excavation and the bowl was finished with fresh carrots and peas that were obviously cooked seperatly, not stewed with the meat, to retain their color and texture.Both dishes were serves with fresh baked bread made on the premises, a rarity in most modern restaurants.. amazing for this middle of nowhere venue.
All desserts were made in house as well, I chose the strawberry-rhubarb coffee cake.:
Scrumptous, is inadequate as a discriptor.
Again wonderfull detail applied to this seemingly simple offering. Fresh sprig of mint from one of the chefs gardens, a fresh strawberry with a washed stem, and real chantilly cream, not some vulgar aerosol propellant.
This was a lunch that would exceed expectations in any metro known for its cuisine, the fact that it was offered on an impeccably clean and enviting porch in a ghost town in the heart of alaska compelled me to write this sincere review of appreciation. Thank you KGL, chef Phil and the entire lodge staff for a wonderful dining experience, LEOPOLD.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was one of the best experiences of my lifetime. The lodge was fantastic and in such a quaint little town. The food was incredible. The rooms were well decorated with neat historical artifacts from the mine. They arranged tours and glacier hiking for us. The only drawback was having to drive down the McCarthy Road to get there, but that was an exciting experience in itself. My husband and I plan to go back to celebrate an anniversary someday. I'm thinking a flight in to McCarthy would be a wiser choice for transportation next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AllisonSolis
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We only ate here and it was wonderful. You can't ask for a better view (even when it is raining). It was so warm and cozy there. It was a cold rainy day and we started our lunch with some hot clam soup. The frech dip was delicious and tender. The staff was so friendly, especially since we were there at the end of the season. I wish we could have stayed in the rustic rooms at the lodge. It looked like a lot of fun. Definitely take a hike along the glacier.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

A few years ago my husband and I decided to start taking one trip a year to see a part of Alaska that we had not experienced yet. This year we went to Kennicott Mine in the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. The original lodge burned down a while ago and has been replaced with a historically accurate replacement. There are lots of ephemera from the old mine and community that decorate the walls of the lodge. The rooms are very basic with shared showers and toilets. They were very clean and comfortable. There are several shared lounge spaces and a great covered deck for relaxing.

The history of the sight is interesting and the fact that so many of the old buildings are still standing is amazing. The park service is working hard to shore up many of the buildings and construction is ongoing.

This is a family owned lodge and they bring in staff for the summer from around the world. We enjoyed finding out about where they were from and sharing our Alaskan perspective. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about the sight. They give an evening walking tour after dinner.

The cost of your stay may sound steep, but it includes three very good meals a day. The night we were there they had prime rib. Breakfast has pastries, fresh fruit, sausages and bacon, etc. All was delicious. It also includes transportation from the pedestrian bridge to the lodge.

There are several choices of hikes at different levels. You can go with a guide or on your own. You can also go on guided glacier hikes on Ruth glacier.

It was a great experience and we would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I took another trip to Kennicott and stayed in the lodge (south wing) and had another fantastic experience. My friend had never been there and she is still raving about it today. We took the package that flew us in on a bush plane from Chitina and I met Bob again our pilot who actually remembered me from 2 years ago. Incredible flight and he actually takes you up to the glacier for a birds eye view! The room was beautiful and clean and the food again was phenomenal. I was curious about the few negative reviews about this place and was shocked that some folks felt the way they did, however, maybe they didn't realize the type of place they were going to. First of all read the lodges website. It is VERY INFORMATIVE about the accommodation types and what there is to do there. Yes, the meals can be expensive compared to lower 48 but NOT for Alaska and you should consider the logistics of bringing food up there especially to this location. Look at a map and you'll understand why. But what is amazing to me is compared to the rest of Alaska, my gosh the food is fantastic and look at my Tripadvisor name (Fussyeater)! Just check out their website and do your research and you WILL NOT be disappointed. Keep in mind this is Alaska, you are not going to get accommodations like the lower 48 unless you are staying in the Hilton or Marriott downtown Anchorage. This is a remote location and requires some effort to get there, which makes it so special. You will not be able to drive your car up to the front door (nor would you want to). The meals are served family style for dinner, lunch can be had in the dining room or they will pack one for you if you want a picnic, breakfast is buffet style and my goodness I've never seen such quality and quantity in all of Alaska. I've had prime rib dinner (best prime rib I ever had); salmon dinner (awesome) with all the trimmings and fresh vegetables and salads and awesome deserts like creme brule. The breakfasts lack in nothing with lots of choices of eggs and meats and every kind of incredible pastry and juices. I've been working up there for 3 years now and many other locals agree that this is a premier place to visit. If you are not into hiking, rafting or walking around the Kennicott Historical Mine then this is probably not for you, although I'd be happy just sitting on the porch staring at the view and eating their delicious food. Keep in mind the main lodge has been built as a replica of a building in the original mining town so the rooms will be small but you can clearly see them on the website. I've seen those rooms and yes, although small they are not as small as some I've been to in NYC! There is a porch that people can walk down on the first floor which first floor rooms will face so I can imagine there will be some traffic noise there, but ask where your room will be when you make the reservation. The decorations on the wall are all original things from the mining era, including magazine ads that are funny to read and historical accounts of items that were ordered by the mine for their stores and letters as well and they all add to the historical significance of the town. The shared bathrooms were very clean and I cannot state why there is no hot water in the rooms, but I always had hot water in the south wing. The room rates I think are reasonable given the location of the lodge and the views. Unless you don't care about shared baths and some extra noise from the main lodge visitors, you should try for the south wing. It is a separate building with rooms that face the mountains and it may be a little quieter. This is a remote lodge, ask if you have any questions as I'm sure the staff with be happy to answer them. They did with me! Read about the history of the mine before you go and you'll get a better understanding on what it was all about. Incredible stories about the folks that lived and worked here and how it was built. Take a tour with the NPS or a guided tour to the glacier with a guide and you won't be disappointed. There are two tour companies in town and they both are excellent. You can hire a private guide so you can go at your own pace and it isn't that much more expensive than a group tour. We did it and I was glad. Ask them about the types of tours and they will guide you as to what would be best for your level of activity. I never did make it into McCarthy but although it is very small with a few buildings I heard the museum there was very good, and there I've heard locals rave about the McCarthy Lodge Dining. So, do your homework and go have the time of your life!

Room Tip: South Wing has larger more private rooms, located in a separate building. Ask where your room will b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fussyeater2010
Christina K, Manager at Kennicott Glacier Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Fussyeater2010,

Thank you for writing about your trip to Kennicott. Your comments and advice for other travelers are much appreciated.

We are especially glad that you enjoyed the food at Kennicott Glacier Lodge. We have been fortunate to have the same three chefs working at our lodge for several summers and we are excited to announce that all of our chefs will be returning again for Summer 2014.

Thank you again for your thoughts. We hope to see you in Kennicott again soon!

Christina Kirkwood

Reviewed 29 October 2013

loved the location and history of the place! A glacier hike is a must. I thought the food options was a little limited but understandable considering the location and limited access. I would of enjoyed a more open area to have a drink after dinner, played cards/games etc but it seemed like they wanted to close up shop pretty quickly. Either way, great place!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear MARKNMEGHS,

Thank you for taking the time to review our lodge. I am glad that you enjoyed the location, history, and glacier hike.

For after dinner opportunities, our dining room is open for drinks and snacks until 10:30pm each night and there are three common areas throughout the lodge where Guests are welcome to relax and play cards. In some circumstances we may ask Guests to move to a different common area after 10:30pm for noise considerations but otherwise these common areas are always available.

Thank you again for your review.

Christina Kirkwood

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We flew into the Kennicott Lodge from Chitina via Wrangel Mountain Air and stayed 3 nights. The September weather was not wonderful, but we truly enjoyed our stay. The food was delicious. Dinner is served family style at 7 pm. We met wonderful people who shared such interesting stories. Highlights of our stay included a half day glacier hike, visiting the National Park Service to view the historical movies, hiking many trains, seeing our first black bear, and sharing time with new friends. The staff is very friendly, the grounds are beautiful, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. We stayed in the south lodge because we wanted a private bath, but talked to others who felt that sharing bath and showers in the main lodge was fine. There are many opportunities to go on guided tours and hikes. The guides are knowledgable and experienced. This is a very well managed hotel. Yes, it is pricey, but the experience is worth it.

Room Tip: If you stay in the South lodge, stay on the first floor so you have a porch.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Kennicott Glacier Lodge? Share your experiences!