Kennicott Glacier Lodge
All reviewsfamily stylecopper minewrangell stmeal planmain buildingfirst floorother guestselias national parkprivate bathglacier lodgeremote locationnew buildingparking lotdining roomcold waterprime ribsalmon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We stayed at the lodge for three nights July 4-8. We were in the annex on the second floor in a large room with two comfortable queen beds.

We had been to Kennicott 8 years prior but stayed in McCarthy. We much preferred Kennicott Glacier Lodge because we could spend more time around the old mine buildings. We enjoyed the meals which were delicious traditional American fare. On the three nights we ate at the lodge we had turkey and stuffing, barbequed chicken and salmon. We were on the meal plan which included three meals per day.

On the two days that we were out hiking the kitchen provided us with sandwiches made with homemade bread. Meals were served family style every night you sat at a different table with different guests. It was a great way to meet others at the lodge and share experiences about the day's activities.

The Lodge is great base for some terrific day hikes. We enjoyed our fly-in trip to the fosse with Kennicott Wilderness Guides and highly recommend them.

We really enjoyed staying at the lodge and would definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Usually I have been guided well by the reviews on Tripadvisor, but when it comes to the Kennicott Lodge, don't be mislead. At a nightly rate of $160, I expected at least some amenities. I found very little redeeming at this lodging. First, I knew that the rooms would be simple and that there would be a rustic flavor to the lodge. I found it to be more akin to something out of Chevy Chase's Family Vacation movie rather than "quaint rustic." I was in the original lodge in a room next to the "common room." Needless to say, it was far from quiet with people talking and laughing until all hours of the night. There are no bathrooms in the rooms in the old lodge. But on my floor (the second floor) there were about 30 rooms--maybe 60 people. There were 3 toilet locations and 2 showers--for all those people. i found myself getting up at 4:30 a.m. so I wouldn't have to wait in line for a shower. The rooms had a small sink with only ice cold water. The meal selection in the dining area is limited to one entree. The food was good but the price was outrageous. There is a little hamburger joint in McCarthy (if you want to pay 10 dollars to ride the shuttle up and back) which leaves much to be desired. The bed was uncomfortable. The room decorations consisted of things you'd clip out of old magazine and literally glue them to the wall. And that is quaint rustic? To me it smack of cheap and trashy. I was there during the fire season so the air was filled with smoke. I booked and paid for four nights. I planned on doing hiking and flight-seeing. Both were out because the air quality was so bad. After the second night of little sleep due to the noise and my asthma acting up because of the air quality, I informed the desk I had to leave a day early because I literally couldn't breath. I was rudely informed by the desk help not to expect any kind of refund. My advice to any any one considering a stay at this Lodge--DO NOT BE MISLED BY THE GLOWING REVIEWS. You may find yourself as disappointed as i was and out almost $1000 on a miserable experience.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank Frbill92
Reviewed 12 July 2009

This was possibly the highlight to our trip in June 2009. We stayed in Kennicott Glacier Lodge from June 30, 2009 until July 2, 2009. After taking almost three hours to reach Kennicott via the two-laned road, we were delightfully surprised at the lodge. We stayed in the main lodge and were in room 26. The room had two little beds, one nightstand, one chair and a sink in the room. The bathroom and shower facilities were down the hall from our room. For dinner the two nights we were there were awesome! One night we had chicked parm with pasta and the other ny strip steaks! Both nights we were seated with different people and we really enjoyed chatting with other guests.
While there we did a glacier hike with Christie and a mine tour with Jessie. Both guides work for St. Elias and do an awesome job.
The hotel is run by a lady by the name of JoAnne. She and her staff are wonderful!
I have no problems recommending this place but would tell you if you are staying there to arrange air transportation to McCarthy instead of driving to the lodge. The lodge is almost 60 miles off the main road from Chitiena and the road is really rough! While averaging almost 30 mph on the road, we saw alot of rabbits and blown tires!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alafans
Reviewed 17 June 2009

The other reviews give a good overall picture of this delightful remote location.We stayed in the new annexe with private facilities.
The room was on the top floor-the lower floors may be different.Although the room itself was huge,the bathroom was minimal with a small shower.There was almost no furniture except two huge beds and a large chest of drawers.
June in Alaska implies short twiliight and no real dark.Many people will need curtains.Those provided were totally unfit for the purpose-fortunately I had a roll of sticky tape and a copious supply of large charts to partly obscure the glass.
The family style dining is appropriate for the location,but there is no choice whatever-not even the offer of a cold snack.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YorkshireAviator
Reviewed 11 October 2008

Without doubt the highlight of our time in Alaska. Stating off with the unique way of arriving - via strip plane - this is a place like no other. The food was some of the best I've ever had anywhere. The way everyone sits together is brilliant. The staff could not have been more helpful. And it has to have the best view of any hotel in the world over the glacier!

It was somewhat basic, but was interiors were very clean and decor was very contemporary - absolute joy.

Would highly recommend the journey to stay there. Also has a really nice mix of international visitors.

A well run establishment.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business