“Dissapointment but good location”

Riviera Hotel Carcavelos
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Carcavelos
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stopped at the Riviera for one night as part of a week tour with friends. The exterior looks fine, but rooms need repairs and are rather shabby. The area around the hotel has several good restaurants and is near the beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank kseconomist
There are newer reviews for Riviera Hotel Carcavelos

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Riviera Hotel. The room was clean and I had a sea view. The staff were very helpful and the daytrips, arranged by the Hotel, were efficient and most enjoyable. The little shopping mall right next to the hotel was very convenient. The Hotel is walking distance from the beautiful beach and also from the train station. It costs around $4 for the train ride to Lisbon city centre and we spend a most enjoyable afternoon. I've discovered a lovely little shop "Du Chic a vendre" .. run by Marina Cardoso (Praca do Junqueiro 19B) .. on the way to the beach (left hand side). This is a second hand shop selling top designer Italian clothes, shoes and jewellery .. most of it hardly ever worn. The breakfast might have been the same every day, but there were such a variety of food that I had each of the 6 mornings I spend there, a different menu. The conference facilities were excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view (-:
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2014

A bit of a disappointment - didn't expect to have to pay 4 euros for a wifi/day - nor having to ask someone from reception to open the minibar/fridgerator. (The fee was 1 euro/day) or the old stains of dirt in the bathroom. I was here for a conference and the meeting room facilities were good but the guest rooms themselves had seen better days. The air in the rooms were dusty and moldy, perhaps because my room was towards the pool (not having the sunlight drying things up). Some of the reception staffs were friendly but some were just having a bad day - no sign of smile or showing interest. Would go somewhere else next time!

Room Tip: Do ask for a sea view - it might be a bit better. And upper floors 3-4 are definitely better than 1...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marjo K
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The zinc is terrible. Old grime and dirt. The rooms have not been re furnished for years.
Gym is only open between 8-8 and you have to pay extra for wifi inte room.
View is boring over the generic pool.
Luckily it is very close to the wonderful beach and the great square filled with seafood restaurant.
The staff is also very service minded and helpful.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for about a week. It was a nice stay, the staff were really helpful and provided me with everything I asked for, the view was great and the free wired internet option was amazing! Breakfast was good enough and had a decent selection for a 1 day trip but with the same food was served almost everyday. The hotel has a mall right next to it with a supermarket making it perfect for buying any supplies you may need- great utility! As for the disadvantages, they really put the hotel down. First of all, the hotel is way too old! The cupboards and doors are stained and squeaky. The toilet doesn't have a lock and the door knob was coming off in my room! The room didn't have a tea-making set and when I asked for one, I just got a kettle. Without a cup, tea or sugar. The room door didn't have a proper lock, the lock could be opened just by casually opening the door- which is useless! The lunch and dinner was disappointing. You had to order food from a non-existing English menu and then wait more than an hour for your food. Only on certain nights did the restaurant provide a buffet lunch, making it unreliable. Using the hotels amenities costed extra money! Extra money for the swimming pool, extra money for the spa... A separate company operates them for some reason and decides to charge people money for them?

Anyway, all that being said, everything the hotel CAN do, in terms of service, utility and all was great, deserving of it's 4 stars, however, the actual building, rooms and furniture take this hotel down to a very good 3 star hotel. Hopefully it gets renovated soon. It desperately needs it.

Room Tip: Check your room before accepting it. Some rooms have good bathroom and furniture whole others have b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ohsah
Riviera-Carcavelos, Guest relations at Riviera Hotel Carcavelos, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Sir,
Thank you so much for your comments, we are always thriving to improve and your opinion deserved our best attention.
Your reflections are important since we shall pass them on to our staff in order to improve service attitude. Regarding the tea facilities we are afraid to say that we do not offer this service nor do we promote it.
We do thank you for sharing your views with us and hope to have the opportunity to be able to welcome you back at a future occasion,
Kind regards,
Guest relations

Reviewed 1 March 2014

As a 4* hotel in wealthy coastal area of the Lisbon suburbs, I was expecting better.

On arrival all seemed well - good location, nice looking hotel, nice suite with balcony overlooking the see (about 300 yards away and with houses and in between).

We had booked for 2 nights and were initially impressed with the breakfast which went far beyond the normal continental breakfast offerings and included scrambled and fried eggs, mushrooms, bacon etc. A nice variety of fresh fruits, yogurt, bread and pastries. The coffee was kept in thermos flasks and on both days was warm rather than hot.

Considering that our stay was 26/27 February, the weather was not warm and it was disappopinting to find that the air conditioning units in the room and sitting room worked but were not powerful enough to warm up the large rooms, so we were cold during both nights.

On the second night of our stay, having returned to the hotel at 22:45, tired after a long day’s sightseeing, we found that both the keys to our suite were deactivated. A trip back down to reception where only one person was on duty attending to a guest check in. I was completely ignored for 10/15 minutes. When my turn eventually came and I explained that the keys did not work. I was asked when I was checking out!!!. The keys were re-activated and I was told that they “should work now”. There was no apology for being kept waiting and no apology for the keys not working. (I got the impression that it wasn’t just a fault as they had been kept separate by 2 different people, but that they had been de-activated or only initially activated for 1 night).

We finally got into the room and when I went to open the room safe to retrieve my valuables, the safe would not accept my code. I thought I may have keyed in the wrong number, but the many subsequent attempts told me I had been correct all along.

I telephoned reception to tell them what happened and ask for it to be sorted out. Again no apology whatsoever and very little interest. I was asked if I had anything in the safe and when I answered in the affirmative I was asked if I needed what was inside the safe!! I said I had and I did. I then asked what was going to be done to sort the problem out. I was asked the colour of the safe and I got a reluctant reply that a colleague would come up soon. Half hour went by and no one came. I phoned reception again and asked when was someone coming up to sort out the problem with the safe as I wanted to go to bed.

A colleague was promised again. I asked when the colleague be coming as I wanted to go to bed. Soon was the answer. A few minutes later 'the colleague arrived equipped with a beer opener and another key. He looked at the safe tried to rock it off its moorings and then said that he needed to go and phone the maintenance man and would be back soon. He came back a few minutes later with the code to override my code. The problem was that the overriding code did not work either!. He then phoned the maintenance man from his mobile phone and after establishing that the overriding code did not work he was talked through how to 'break' the safe open. At at 00:25 he left and we were finally able to go to bed! It goes without saying that no hint of apology was offered.

We checked out on the next morning and again no one asked how the stay had been for us or even apologised for the less than perfect stay.

In conclusion, the Hotel is quite acceptable but there is a need for employees to be trained to show more empathy to their guests, after all they are paying for 4STAR Hotel AND service. Would I recommend it to friends? No I wouldn’t. I would suggest they tried somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoBloggs771
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a weeks holiday here. Stayed here over New year when the hotel was quiet, staff were extremely helpful and friendly, location is great (sea views and less than 10 min walk to sea and train station. The indoor pool is great with built in jacuzzi. Breakfast buffet was of a very high standard (proper fresh fruit, hot and cold food and great selection of bread, pastries and cakes). The hotel is a tad tired but very very good value and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank happyyogagirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carcavelos
Lagoas Park Hotel
Vila Gale Collection Palacio dos Arcos
Hotel Londres
Hotel Londres
#5 of 17 in Estoril

Been to Riviera Hotel Carcavelos? Share your experiences!