“good location, close to beach”
Review of Praia Mar Hotel

Praia Mar Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Carcavelos
Reviewed 2 September 2011

150 yards to the beach, great views from dining room on 8th floor, reception staff helpful. But we stayed in room 706, woke at 6.45 each morning because of noise from floor above, maybe kitchen staff. Found a nice French style restaurant in the square behind the hotel, lovely food, La Gioconda. Train station, Carcavelos, is 10 minute walk from hotel, regular service to Cascais along the coast or back into Lisbon. Keep your train ticket for re-use, its 50 cent extra if you need a new one.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mahoneddie
There are newer reviews for Praia Mar Hotel

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed at this Hotel for 5 nights. The reviews I had read on this Hotel suugested it was wonderful and had flat screen TV's in every room - these are statements that are not true. The Hotel is very tired and run down - very much in need of a major refurbishment. The location of the Hotel is fine if you want a beach or poolside holiday as there is very little else within walking distance.
Our first complaint was when the housekeeper had been smoking in our room. The Hotel manager denied that this was possible, sent up another housekeeper to spray the room. A couple of days later admitted that the housekeeper had indeed smoked in the room but stated that she was new - no apology.
Had lunch at the pool bar - it took ages for the food to arrive and when it did it was cold and one hamburger was raw meat. When we complained the staff just shrugged and about 20 minutes later when we had finished what we could eat we were offered fresh chips - appalling. The girl in charge of the Pool Bar could not even count as this was evident when she always gave out the wrong change.
The evening before we checked out we politely asked if we could keep our room on for a couple of hours beyong the normal check out time of 12 noon. We were told bluntly that the Hotel needed the rooms as they were full the next day. This was despite the fact that housekeeping never got round to cleaning the rooms before 4.00pm each day. I found the hotel staff quite unfriendly and totally inflexible and indifferent.

I would not recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank alanrusblue
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Do not go!! It is not à 4 star hotel. Staff is oké. Swimmingpool not clean. Rooms small and noisy cleaning oké. I do not know à reasen to stay in this hotel. If you can go somewear else

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BakkerDeventer
Reviewed 26 August 2010

This hotel is in ideal location for day trips to Lisboa as well as the Atlantic Coast. It has a great view from the top floor breakfast restaurant and the staff was helpful and friendly...

BUT that´s where it stops!!! The 4 stars must have been rewarded 10 years ago and it´s been in need of a renovation for a long, long time. I don´t understand how a chain can allow this to happen...it drags them all down.

Here the negative points:

- stuffy rooms that smell of cigarette smoke
- carpet floors that need cleaning - badly that is
- loud and noisy highway next by
- the pool is old and unattractive
- Internet was slow and didn´t get to all the rooms
- restaurant and hallways smelled badly
- the hotel parking is a joke

Try to stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2010

First we paid extra for the Romance Package so that we could have a great view. Our view was the back parking lot of the hotel and a dumpster. When I asked why we werent upgraded, they said they would be happy to move us for 10 more Euros a night. That the extra money was to cover a bottle of something we never touched and chocolate Fondue which I couldnt eat because I have a lap band. The floors were filthy. The bed was a mattress and box spring on the floor. The place was old and incredibly noisy. There was only one redeaming luxury to the place, the dining room upstairs. The rest was not worth the time. We thought we would check out the Riviera Hotel right behind this one, thinking it would cost a great deal more and discovered it was $10 Euro less a night. We moved after our second night. Thank goodness. Dont stay here unless you like rude staff, and a nasty filthy hotel.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank reallady214
Reviewed 12 December 2009

The hotel was old fashioned and it was not like they show ed at thier website.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BurakTogay
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We stayed here on two previous occasions, because it is near the location of the work address that I go to in the Lisbon area, and my local host believes that this is a decent hotel. Next year, if they mention this place again we will have to say something. This is a horrible, dirty place with the worst service that I've ever seen in a hotel. They have three or four people standing around the front desk, and yet I have no idea what these people do, because they certainly aren't helpful. This is the worst front desk service I've ever had in 25 years of international travel. For example, I asked for a currency exchange. "We have no money" the fellow said at the front desk. I had just arrived, so I asked him where we might go for an exchange, or for an ATM machine. "Outside -- just go outside," was his recommendation. Of course, there is nothing outside. This is just his way of saying "Tough luck -- you'll need to leave the hotel" -- he sent us wandering looking for the closest ATM. Here's another example of this hotel's wonderful service and their attitude about cleanliness. On the day of our arrival, it was very windy and a trash can got knocked down by one of their neighbor buildings and all the trash was strewn right along this hotel's front landscaping. I wondered how long it would stay there -- it looked terrible, cardboard everywhere. The next day it was there -- and the next. Finally, after four nights, we checke out (thank God) and sure enough, the trash was still in front of the hotel. NOT ONE of the three or four front desk attendants had moved to go to the front of the hotel and remove the trash that littered their property. I'd also like to make sure that you know the "free wireless Internet" is very iffy. Most of their wireless points project a signal, so that it appears you are connected, but they are not hooked to the server, so you spend endless time trying to get connected. I finally found one wireless access point on the 6th floor by the elevator that worked, and everytime I wanted to use the net, I had to go to the sixth floor and sit in a chair by the elevator. I saw that one person raved about the breakfast. Let me tell you that it is the worst of any breakfast I had in any hotel in Portugal, including Madeira. Packaged yoghurts and corn flakes were about it, along with some average cheese slices and ham right out of a package. This is NOT a four star hotel -- it is a 2 star hotel at MOST, run by people who could are less. A strong warning to AVOID THIS HOTEL at all costs. The pool looked nice, but pretty average.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank David J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carcavelos
Riviera Hotel Carcavelos
#1 of 1 in Porto Salvo
Vila Gale Estoril
Vila Gale Estoril
#3 of 17 in Estoril

Been to Praia Mar Hotel? Share your experiences!