“3 Star - Maximum”
Review of Praia Mar Hotel

Praia Mar Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Carcavelos
Reviewed 26 August 2010

This hotel is in ideal location for day trips to Lisboa as well as the Atlantic Coast. It has a great view from the top floor breakfast restaurant and the staff was helpful and friendly...

BUT that´s where it stops!!! The 4 stars must have been rewarded 10 years ago and it´s been in need of a renovation for a long, long time. I don´t understand how a chain can allow this to happen...it drags them all down.

Here the negative points:

- stuffy rooms that smell of cigarette smoke
- carpet floors that need cleaning - badly that is
- loud and noisy highway next by
- the pool is old and unattractive
- Internet was slow and didn´t get to all the rooms
- restaurant and hallways smelled badly
- the hotel parking is a joke

Try to stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Praia Mar Hotel

Reviewed 27 January 2010

First we paid extra for the Romance Package so that we could have a great view. Our view was the back parking lot of the hotel and a dumpster. When I asked why we werent upgraded, they said they would be happy to move us for 10 more Euros a night. That the extra money was to cover a bottle of something we never touched and chocolate Fondue which I couldnt eat because I have a lap band. The floors were filthy. The bed was a mattress and box spring on the floor. The place was old and incredibly noisy. There was only one redeaming luxury to the place, the dining room upstairs. The rest was not worth the time. We thought we would check out the Riviera Hotel right behind this one, thinking it would cost a great deal more and discovered it was $10 Euro less a night. We moved after our second night. Thank goodness. Dont stay here unless you like rude staff, and a nasty filthy hotel.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank reallady214
Reviewed 12 December 2009

The hotel was old fashioned and it was not like they show ed at thier website.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BurakTogay
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We stayed here on two previous occasions, because it is near the location of the work address that I go to in the Lisbon area, and my local host believes that this is a decent hotel. Next year, if they mention this place again we will have to say something. This is a horrible, dirty place with the worst service that I've ever seen in a hotel. They have three or four people standing around the front desk, and yet I have no idea what these people do, because they certainly aren't helpful. This is the worst front desk service I've ever had in 25 years of international travel. For example, I asked for a currency exchange. "We have no money" the fellow said at the front desk. I had just arrived, so I asked him where we might go for an exchange, or for an ATM machine. "Outside -- just go outside," was his recommendation. Of course, there is nothing outside. This is just his way of saying "Tough luck -- you'll need to leave the hotel" -- he sent us wandering looking for the closest ATM. Here's another example of this hotel's wonderful service and their attitude about cleanliness. On the day of our arrival, it was very windy and a trash can got knocked down by one of their neighbor buildings and all the trash was strewn right along this hotel's front landscaping. I wondered how long it would stay there -- it looked terrible, cardboard everywhere. The next day it was there -- and the next. Finally, after four nights, we checke out (thank God) and sure enough, the trash was still in front of the hotel. NOT ONE of the three or four front desk attendants had moved to go to the front of the hotel and remove the trash that littered their property. I'd also like to make sure that you know the "free wireless Internet" is very iffy. Most of their wireless points project a signal, so that it appears you are connected, but they are not hooked to the server, so you spend endless time trying to get connected. I finally found one wireless access point on the 6th floor by the elevator that worked, and everytime I wanted to use the net, I had to go to the sixth floor and sit in a chair by the elevator. I saw that one person raved about the breakfast. Let me tell you that it is the worst of any breakfast I had in any hotel in Portugal, including Madeira. Packaged yoghurts and corn flakes were about it, along with some average cheese slices and ham right out of a package. This is NOT a four star hotel -- it is a 2 star hotel at MOST, run by people who could are less. A strong warning to AVOID THIS HOTEL at all costs. The pool looked nice, but pretty average.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank David J
Reviewed 4 November 2008

very nice hotel and staff very kindly, great view , very clean rooms, very kind maids, great breakfast all very fresh, the bes "cozido portuguese" allways great great restaurant, and they make theme days decoration for the halloween, very nice .
see you at december

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2008

This is an old hotel located at around 25kms from Lisbon Centre. Stayed here for one night in June 2008. Although advertised as a 4 star hotel, it is not. 3 at best. It´s an old hotel that needs an upgrading.The only 4 star facility in the hotel is the lobby, which is quiet nice. The main advantage is the location and the very beautiful room and restauran's view over Carcavelo's bay and its beaches. It is located between Lisbon and Cascais so, if you are planning to visit both places, it's convenient. Room furniture and overall decoration is old and somewhat shabby, the breakfast is poor for a "4star" hotel. The pool is small to my standards. But you have the beach at a walking distance. I didn't pay for my room (business meeting at the hotel) so I cannot comment on it.Room size was ok and was quiet at night, so no problems sleeping.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2008

We stayed here in sept '07 as we were going to the moto gp in Estoril and left it too late to book any closer to the race track. We were very glad we did ,as the hotel was lovely. The staff were very helpful (if a little laid back but so is all of portugal!). The food was O.K. but I never think much of continental breakfast anyway so i'm probably not the best judge of that.
Our room was on the 7th floor and we had lovely sea views, the beach is only around 100 yards away.
The hotel has some great restaurants quite close by if you bother to look for them (which I recomend you do), and some great little beach side bars.
Travel ti the race track was amazingly cheap (10 euros by taxi) and there were taxis available right outside the hotel.
We also travelled into Lisbon by train (station about 5-10mins walk) which was amazing and again very cheap.
Estoril and Cascais are both not far and offer more by the way of night life, but with taxis so cheap getting there was not a problem.
Overall it was a great stay and we have just booked to return in April '08.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank silverfred
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carcavelos
Riviera Hotel Carcavelos
#1 of 1 in Porto Salvo
Vila Gale Estoril
Vila Gale Estoril
#3 of 17 in Estoril

Been to Praia Mar Hotel? Share your experiences!