“A lovely chateau with friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chateau d'Artigny

Chateau d'Artigny
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Montbazon
Dallas TX
“A lovely chateau with friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were here for 2 nights while cycling the area. The outside is truly lovely. The staff is helpful and friendly. Our room was fine, it could use an update but it was clean and spacious. Our room faced the front which was a pleasant. The air conditioning doesn't work very well and we opened the windows each night. The bathroom was a bit small but not bad. Breakfast had ample choices. We also used the spa (whirlpool) which was large and inside the spa area. We were going to use the pool but it was filled with small children when we attempted.

Dinner was excellent - and the sommelier picked great wine for each course and was happy to educate the group on the various grape varietals in the region.

It was a nice hotel, yes it could use an interior update, but it's still lovely.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Although you imagine that are entering something akin to Versailles, the facade betrays an establishment woefully in need of internal refurbishment and a price reality check. The lift is barely adequate for two people with luggage and opens out into a corridor so narrow that a good deal of contortion is required to avoid injury. Although the views are stunning and the staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, bottom line is it is not worth the money. We paid 24 euros each for breakfast and the choice was limited. Very little that was cooked and very poor choice of cereals considering the cost. My advise would be not to be taken in by the fact that it's a chateau - you'll get much better for the money somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dadaandbaba
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

The van drove under a pretty roof of blue skies and lush green foliage. I have read about its illustrious, dramatic history and with high expectations, I held my breath as the narrow dirt road opens up to a visual spectacle of a long-gone era; the Château was as grand and imposing as I'd imagined.
But sadly and disappointingly- and I say this with nary a single empathetic ion in my body- that's where the wonder and beauty ends.
From the check-in experience of slow, functional but cold reception staff, to the small, old, dank and musky hotel room in a separate building from the main halls, my husband and I grew increasingly dismayed and disenchanted.
Our room was obviously the servants quarters in the past. It had an overwhelmingly "damp" smell and I felt like I was staying in a room that was covered in wet carpets. There was no welcome note, no complimentary bottles of water and the room service menu was missing.
The next morning, I went for breakfast at 10 am. A habit of mine, I reminded reception to get my room packed. Went to the breakfast room and was greeted by a poor selection of European fares and morose looking servers who did not smile when they said "bonjour". Lousy food aside, what made me bristle was the staff's perfunctory, cold attitude to non-French speaking customers. Being early in my pregnancy, I avoided drinking the small selection of tea provided as they were not pregnant-safe. Instead, I asked for simple crushed ginger with hot water and honey. Both servers- only 2 female servers were available- looked at me with frowns, kept shaking their heads, saying "no no... no ginger tea. Take this here", while they tried to convince me to take one of the other flavours. Finally, I gave up. 10 mins later, a French-speaking couple walked in, and the two same servers greeted them with such warmth and enthusiasm- what a difference!
I had to scrape off the mushy scrambled eggs from the buffet tray but the lady guest had hers presented freshly scrambled and straight from the kitchen. Seeing that, I asked for 2 sunnysides up fried eggs and to my indignation, they said they said breakfast is almost over so no more orders. I made a little ruckus as it was not 1030 yet and finally, the senior server took my order and I got my eggs. Not A happy start of the day, I tell you.
After breakfast I did some reading in the lounge to give housekeeping some time to clean the room. But when I finally went back at 1215, my room was still in it's original state and the hot chocolate from last night was still on the table.
I've had enough. I originally wanted to extend my stay if the Château proved a wonderful experience, now, I just can't wait to leave.
Besides all the above, I have to say that food was below par room service menu was lacking in variety and choices. They only had one snack plate between 2-6pm, a mixture of stale cold cuts, 2 types of cheese, cold hard rolls, terrible tasting slice of mushy cake, some soggy vege they tried to pass off as salad and all for 28€.
I had thought that a hotel belonging to the Grandes Etapes group would at least be good, if not excellent. For the price we paid, that's the least they coyld have achieved. My experience simply shows that even reputable organisations are merely as good as their product and this hotel SUCKED- big time.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank BottyB
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a wonderful property badly in need of updating by some corporate sugar daddy which can afford the several million Euros this property needs to return to the grandeur it deserves. Physically lovely, but uncomfortable nonetheless. Our room, #4 I believe, was not airconditioned. Opening the windows for fresh air was discouraged because of the bugs that would be attracted. The fan we were provided was the equivalent of a youngster blowing through a straw. The restaurant was average, no better. Internet access, particularly for Apple products, was only available in the bar, and even there, only intermittently. I suggest avoiding this property until someone invests enough to make it competitive with other places to stay in the Loire.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MisterPlatinum
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had originally booked to stay at Le Prieure a Grand Etapes hotel near Saumur but unfortunatley it closed and we were proposed an alternative that was similar at Chateau d'Artigny which we agreed. This alternative was anything but similar, in the Prieure rooms are light, spacious, airy and with a wonderful ambiance, here they were dark, cramped and noisy (our room was close to the service deliveries and at 6am each morning we were woken with early morning transport and deliveries). We arranged a VIP Welcome on arrival we recieved a basket of fruit no drinks were included and the fruit had gone well past its sell by date, it was dreadfull. We were also promised from our previous stay at Le Prieure a dinner for two at any of Grand Etapes hotels in the Loire Valley but Chateau d'Artigny declined to honour this committment. Overall the management and service was terrible, we have been staying at Le Priure since 1992 and had a continuously wonderful experiance but Chateau d'Artigny is anything but wonderful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Norman F
Chateaux_hotels_gef, Directeur général at Chateau d'Artigny, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a comment concerning your stay.
First I am really sorry for the bad experience you felt staying with us at the Château d'Artigny. But it is important to notice that the now closed "Prieuré" is not the same than Château d'Artigny, I understand you had your own preferences and you were used to be in the Prieuré. Concerning your stay, you have been double upgraded from a classic room to a superior room for the same price at the "Pavillon Ariane" an ancient chapel inspired by the Versailles Château chapel next to the main Château. Instead of having fruits, the second night you had a VIP wine bottle from the region in your room, and you did not use our restaurant or breakfast service to judge and qualify our service as "terrible".

Pascal Brault,
Orange, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at this property having stayed previously at Chateau de Gilly - what a let down.
We drove up the beautiful driveway to see a devine Chateau - we were excited. On walking into the reception, thats where it ended. We were checked into what can only be described as an antiquated dog box in the main Chateau. It was as if the room was picked up from the '60s. We expressed our disappointment, and were moved to the next level of rooms in a different building ( having to pay an additional $100 euro ), this was only slightly better, and if it wasn't for us having prepaid we would have checked out and gone else where. The receptionist did his best, which we acknowledge and appreciate, its not the staff's issue its the property.
We dined at the Chateau, this was a lovely dining experience - the food and wine second to none, just very expensive. Dinner almost cost as much as the accommodation!!!!!
All in all, who ever owns the property - spend some money on it to bring it into the current era. Its a beautiful building and should be treated so-please be respectful of its history and allow guests who stay to walk away with pleasant memory and enjoyable stay.
For what you pay for its a ridiculous amount of money and definitely not value for money.
Take a leaf out of Chateau de Gilly's book - they have nailed it, shame this property lets the group down. We won't be staying here again and wouldn't recommend the property - sorry.

Room Tip: The main Chateau rooms have no cooling, don't expect luxury.