“Fantastic find near Sandbanks!”

Timber House Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband and I stayed one night in this amazing place and we loved it. Our room was huge with an ensuite bathroom that was absolutely, spotlessly clean. The queen bed was super comfortable. Our room was very reasonable, around $100 and includes a delicious breakfast with hot and cold selections. The staff was very courteous and accommodating. All in all, we had a wonderful experience and would recommend it to anyone. We will be back!

Room Tip: If stairs are a challenge, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We are accidental tourists from across the pond in Rochester, NY, USA. We have a cottage on Port Bay (Wolcott, NY, USA) and planned to spend a week there following the dropping off of our youngest at university. Last week, as we were making plans for an enjoyable week, my husband suggested day trips with possible destinations of Kingston, Gananoque, Alexandria Bay and Lake Placid. We have been to all many times and I left the planning to my husband. Earlier this week, he suggested spending the night somewhere between Kingston and Gananoque, an idea I thought was lovely. And off he went to make a reservation. Done. And off we went. Imagine his surprise when he entered the address into his GPS following a nostalgic early supper at a favorite cafe in Kingston only to find that he had miscalculated. Rather than 1.5 hours towards Gananoque, it was 1.5 hours toward TORONTO. And here we are. Not what we had planned at all.
We took 401-W from Kingston, exiting at Brighton. After many twists and turns, with darkness looming, we finally found the Inn. Pulling in, it was an inspired first glance. A young family walking the path from the woods, an older couple sitting outside in Adirondack-style chairs, a mother and daughter off to explore... all in the shadow of a large, well-lit timber-peg Inn. I expected Hemingway to emerge from the wood's edge followed by a loping a moose at any moment. Check-in was effortless and Dave, the innkeeper, showed my husband our room while I finished a phone call to other children at home. First, the setting. Timber House is set off the beaten track, away from the lights, glare and noise of day-to-day living. If you are looking for peace and tranquility, you have come to the right place. We stayed in the Upper King Suite and were pleased to find that the room met all expectations. Clean and well-cared for, comfortable bed (first thing I checked!), perfectly appointed bathroom with plump, fresh, white towels. Luxurious. Two things to note about the water. Yes, it has a sulphur odor (in response to other reviews). The water is wonderful, refreshing, cool, crisp WELL water. A sulphuric odor on occasion is a small price to pay for pristine well water. The other thing to note is that a water softener is used. You will definitely notice this when showering. Softened water is a treat but be sure to use only half the amount of soap and shampoo or you'll be there all day, actually not a bad thing. After a long day, we traveled into Brighton to try to find dinner. At 8:30 p.m., in a small coastal/lake town on a Tuesday evening, we were only able to find one restaurant still open (Vita's- very good). We returned to a quiet Inn and retreated to our room where we slept the deep, restorative sleep one can usually only hope for in a strange place. Both my husband and I are light sleepers from years of children and teens coming and going at home. We never heard a sound from the other inn guests... not a peep, cry, snore, or bed bounce. Though the parking area indicated a full house, we wondered if the cars were from a neighboring campground. We rose in the morning and headed down to the breakfast room which had seating for 18, more if you pulled up extra chairs. We met other inn guests and chatted away while food began arriving. Breakfast is buffet style but don't let that deter you. This morning's offerings were homemade breads (banana mango), delicious, thick french toast with REAL maple syrup and homemade jams, baked eggs, fresh thick bacon, and a variety of cereals. The coffee and juices balanced the meal perfectly. We are back in our room, packing up, and counting blessings that we "accidentally" encountered this magical inn. And now... off to Gananoque!

Room Tip: My husband headed down to get us coffee before breakfast was officially served. He ran into others w...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HollyMAnderson
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed here overnight and it was fine for what we needed - a clean and quiet place to rest. Because it's in a wooded area, we did see a few mosquitos in our room which we had to kill before we headed to bed. Their facilities are clean and accessible, except their yoga studio. It felt like no one used it and it was a bit dusty and had a couple of wrappers laying around. The steam bath was a nice touch. The next morning we had a decent breakfast and the chef was very accommodating.

Room Tip: Book early to get the best suites.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lali317
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We booked the space for a catered family event. It is nice and clean inside, except for the laminate floor which is bubbling up, and it appears to have a vulnerable septic system.

But the problem was with the SPARSE and somewhat haphazard staffing, who simply couldn't keep up with service required (our 40 polite guests were left without wine, coffee or other top-up things for much of the meal). For such an expensive per-plate (something like $65) cost, the little pat of dried chicken, green beans and potatoes were more like thievery than an insult.

Even the appetizers seemed reluctantly placed in a corner unannounced. Kind of bizarre.

Anyway, I love my family too much to let this ruin the memory of the event- but I'm warning you that you'll regret how much you paid for such an event here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
davedingle, Owner at Timber House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear policestyle,
I'm very sorry you feel this event was unsatisfactory. I was surprised to see this review as we are very proud of our record as a family and corporate event venue of choice. Most of our reviews reflect this. For your information, the Timber House Resort uses a state-of-the-art wetland treatment system, installed three years ago.
Please feel free to contact me via this forum or telephone should you wish to discuss further.
Dave Dingle
Owner, Timber House Resort

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The Timber House suffers from an identity crisis, it is neither a B and B nor an Inn. It was completely full for the first two days we were there. On arrival we actually were greeted by someone, many times the desk is not manned and you have to call to get someone to come and check you in. We soon discovered the advertised tandem bicycle had little air in its tires and the chains were rusty; needless to say we did not get to try this. No one informed us they had a steam room, nor were we told anything about the place except that breakfast was at 08:30. The breakfast was okay but they decided to add a variety of peppers to the scrambled eggs on the first day, and it was always a buffet style. The choice of cereal was poor and unhealthy. We noted that the one 4-slice toaster they had for all the guests (which they cannot sit when all the rooms are full) had one side without a pop-up so the bread got stuck and guests had to fish it out.
Our room was spacious, but was not clean. I wrote 'Dust' on the shelf of one of the tables, it was there all three days! The bathroom floor was not mopped the entire time we were there...I left little tests for them. The TV was SMALL, my laptop has a bigger screen; I didn't know you could get screens this small.
Then there is the water; it does indeed have a very heavy smell of sulphur or rotten eggs. I had seen this mentioned in one review I read, but it is really an issue; unless one likes a mineral bath. Using the jetted tub was not a pleasant experience; only tried it once.
We never the owner or his wife although I suspect he was the guy in shorts we saw in the morning at breakfast.
Needless to say, we would never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rob b
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We have booked our family Christmas for next year...again! The rooms are beautifully appointed with comfortable beds, lots of room and unique. Our family books all of Timberhouse, using the wonderful kitchens to make our own Christmas turkey dinner. We are served a fresh, tasty breakfast by the very accommodating staff. It seems like our own private cottage for 25! From the walks on the beach to the roaring fireplace and treed property, combined with family memories....this is a "keeper"!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathryn M
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Our family has been coming to Timber House in November for 4 years and we are definitely coming back next year! It is warm, cozy and tastefully decorated. There are upgrades and changes done every year. The ladies loved the new yoga studio and steam bath! Because we do the weekend takeover it has become our 'home away from home'. The breakfast that is served in the morning is delicious and the highlight for me when I roll out of my comfy bed! Having the lake so close makes for many wonderful walks and great photos. If we run short of snacks Brighton is minutes away. Mary and Dave are amazing hosts and they are always so helpful if we need anything.

Room Tip: Main floor rooms are definitely quieter if you are in a big group and you want to nap or go to bed e...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighton
Ramada Trenton
#3 of 13 in Wellington
Brighton 401 KOA
Brighton 401 KOA
#1 of 2 in Brighton

Been to Timber House Resort? Share your experiences!