“Expensive for the market it is in.”
Review of The Gables

The Gables
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Excellent food, but small portions, and expensive. It is the only restaurant in Brighton that would be considered to be "upscale".

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was our first visit to The Gables and it will not be our last!
While a little pricey for the quantity, it was made up for by the quality. My husband had the sesame crusted goat cheese on greens, I had the Caesar salad, and we split an escargot as appetizers. I had the angel hair and jumbo shrimp for dinner, and my hubby had the duck breast. WOW, were they ever good! The only thing I could think of that might make it even better, would be to give a bit more pasta. It wouldn't have been enough to fill me if we hadn't had the appetizers. The bread served is crusty and delicious. Make sure you save room for dessert - you will absolutely want to have the homemade apple strudel. The best I've ever had.
The restaurant itself is warm, cosy, inviting and charming. You feel like you are having dinner in someone's beautiful home vice a restaurant. The service was attentive, friendly and bang on. We will be back!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

As always, we were warmly greeted by Kiersten and ably served by Ally. Too hard to choose from the amazing apps, so we shared three - the always wonderful squash, carrot & ginger soup, the best escargot, and the camembert! Followed this up with our own entrees - schnitzel and roasted duck breast. And we cannot pass up the home made strudel and ice cream. Shiraz in the 1/2 carafe was perfect for 2 of us. Dieter runs a great kitchen - and we love it!!!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Excellent place for special occasions or just a fine meal. Run by the attentive and friendly owners. Good food, relaxed atmosphere and very clean.

1  Thank Laszlo C
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We found this place by walking by one day, and decided to try for dinner on a Saturday night , service was excellent, food was very good, I had the escargot for a starter and rack of lamb for my main, both were very good, lamb cooked to perfection, read some reviews about this restaurant and the history of the house, we would definitely go back there.
They have a good collection of scotch and grappa, it would be fun to taste them one evening after the meal :)